2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Incredible Sports Wagon
By Gearhead guy on 07/30/08 21:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've read some of the reviews for '02 Passats, sounds like a bunch of whining to me. I have an '00 wagon, V6, 5 spd, leather, sunroof. Great looking wagon, very roomy. Yes, it's expensive, if you get repairs done at the dealer. Don't be stupid, use an independent garage. I drive 25K a year, and have put 140K on a car that was a 3 yr old lease trade in with 48K miles. So I'm closing in on 190K. I just had the car checked out by a private mechanic. The check engine light came on about six weeks ago. I've been told that the catalytic converter is failing, but the mechanic said "just keep driving it, the car's in great condition". The car still has the original clutch.

Minor problems will lose customers
By drat445 on 01/02/05 15:26 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have '99 Civic SI + '02 Passat wagon. The Honda has had no major issues, meanwhile, the VW: sunroof doesn't respond to dial. The trunk no longer responds to the driver's side button. Alarm sometimes goes off when car is stopped and doors opened. Recently the car floor got very wet... turns out the drainage from the sunroof can get clogged. Apparently the AC is somehow attached to same drainage. Dealer svc mentioned this is a common problem. Seats (cloth because we have dogs) seemed comfortable during the purchase, but are quite painful to some on long-distance drives. IMO a lumbar support location problem. Gear ratios between 1st and 2nd is very poorly spaced. Somewhat noisy, rough ride.

A VW'r for Life
By New Mommy on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I truly thought I'd want a Volvo... but the VW changed my mind. After tons of research and test drives, it was a no-brainer. The wagon has lived up to its expectations and then some. It handles beautifully, has amazing pep, and the VW service cannot be beat.

I love my Passat Wagon!
By idelln on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Two things I would add: 1. I loved the Keyless entry that I had on my '95 Taurus. It is a wonderful item to guard against locking your keys in the car but still able to get into the car. 2. I liked the way the Taurus headlights turned off automatically after getting out of the car & walking away.

Needed help...
By ezra on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Now that this well built but bland wagon has been retired, (17" Yokos) lowered (Eibach) and tuned (BMC, Wittenhauer) it is a well made, comfortable, practical and fun sports wagon.

Family Sport Vehicle
By mds5295 on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We traded a '99 Accord in for the Passat, and we have loved every minute of it. As a previous BMW & Honda owner, this is definitely a German built auto. The highway ride is comparable to high dollar luxury sedans. You will cruise at 95 mph, and have virtually no sensation of speed or wind noise. The interior is considerably quieter than our previous Accord. We opted for the 5 spd GLS with everything except leather, and it reminds me very much of the 535i I previously owned.

Love the car!!/ Leary of the reliability
By delia21 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything about my 2001.5 V6, manual! Its looks, the solid feel, the blue lights, even the rear lights. One of my daytime running lights has burned out after 10 months. Seems waaay too early for that. One concern is that the pillar gets in the way when I'm try to see, change lanes on the front, right side. Drove a Celica for 13 years. I just hope I can come close to this on my Paasat.

comfortable
By Wayne Fang on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It is very comfortable and fun to drive. It is one of my best decision to buy Passat.