Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Incredible Sports Wagon
By Gearhead guy

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've read some of the reviews for '02 Passats, sounds like a bunch of whining to me. I have an '00 wagon, V6, 5 spd, leather, sunroof. Great looking wagon, very roomy. Yes, it's expensive, if you get repairs done at the dealer. Don't be stupid, use an independent garage. I drive 25K a year, and have put 140K on a car that was a 3 yr old lease trade in with 48K miles. So I'm closing in on 190K. I just had the car checked out by a private mechanic. The check engine light came on about six weeks ago. I've been told that the catalytic converter is failing, but the mechanic said "just keep driving it, the car's in great condition". The car still has the original clutch.

Favorite Features

This car flat out moves. 80 mph all day, no problems. Averages 27 mpg overall, 5 spd manual and the 2.8 V6 w/ 190 HP are a superb performing combo. Everyone who rides in this car all say the same thing "great car".

Suggested Improvements

Too bad that VW had to make the new model Passat (2006 through 2009) so much bigger and therefore less reliable. The new Jetta Sport Wagon is the way to go !!!

Minor problems will lose customers
By drat445

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have '99 Civic SI + '02 Passat wagon. The Honda has had no major issues, meanwhile, the VW: sunroof doesn't respond to dial. The trunk no longer responds to the driver's side button. Alarm sometimes goes off when car is stopped and doors opened. Recently the car floor got very wet... turns out the drainage from the sunroof can get clogged. Apparently the AC is somehow attached to same drainage. Dealer svc mentioned this is a common problem. Seats (cloth because we have dogs) seemed comfortable during the purchase, but are quite painful to some on long-distance drives. IMO a lumbar support location problem. Gear ratios between 1st and 2nd is very poorly spaced. Somewhat noisy, rough ride.

Favorite Features

Engine. Manual transmission downshifting is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

In this day and age, electrical problems are inexcusable. Widen out 1st and 2nd gear spacing. A/C is quite slow to cool down.

A VW'r for Life
By New Mommy

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I truly thought I'd want a Volvo... but the VW changed my mind. After tons of research and test drives, it was a no-brainer. The wagon has lived up to its expectations and then some. It handles beautifully, has amazing pep, and the VW service cannot be beat.

Favorite Features

air bags galore, interior finish is beautiful, very comfy, monsoon radio and CD player have incredible sound, cup holders are right where you need them and so are the controls on the steering wheel, lower than expected insurance rates

Suggested Improvements

larger gas tank, better mileage, wish I didn't have to use the premium gas, car tends to hesitate a bit when moving from a complete stop

I love my Passat Wagon!
By idelln

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Two things I would add: 1. I loved the Keyless entry that I had on my '95 Taurus. It is a wonderful item to guard against locking your keys in the car but still able to get into the car. 2. I liked the way the Taurus headlights turned off automatically after getting out of the car & walking away.

Favorite Features

Being able to program the rt side mirror so that it automatically moves down when you put the car in reverse that permits you to see the curbing when parking.

Suggested Improvements

I would like better gas mileage particularly when I have to use premium gas. A roomier place to store items between the two front seats.

Needed help...
By ezra

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Now that this well built but bland wagon has been retired, (17" Yokos) lowered (Eibach) and tuned (BMC, Wittenhauer) it is a well made, comfortable, practical and fun sports wagon.

Favorite Features

Auto sensing wipers

Suggested Improvements

VW should offer this model with a turbo and 6 speed, I'd buy it!