2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
an absolutely solid car, without a new car replacement
By topagentgroup on 11/11/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with about 20000 miles at less than a year old for $15500. I'm at 138000 with a private party value of $4500, it's been going up in value the past 3 years! An absolute joy to drive with the 4 cyl turbo and 34mpg. It seems to be a timeless styling blck/blck shines nicely. Synthetic only!! can't stress that enough and use the VW coolant. everyday garages will mess this car up like a bad hangover. I found an old VW specialized mechanic, won't let any other cars in the garage and has kept it running well for reasonable $. Replaced, timing belt/water pump at 80k, both frnt window regulators, 3 sets of tires/brakes, 2CV joints, 1 set of rotors,fuel pump at 136k due to ethanol

Update from 2010
By rilezz13 on 07/26/12 13:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

First let me say, I have NO complaints about the 1.8 Turbo 4-cylinder engine. It has been a wonderful, reliable, engine. I have always used synthetic oil and its just been great. My only nitpicking would be that it "sounds" like a 4-cylinder when idling (sewing machine?). Next: The Aisin automatic transmission. WOW!. About a year ago, the car (long story short) got bottomed out and the transmission got slammed into the road. I didn't think anything of it as it continued to work fine. When I took it for servicing much later on, the mechanic discovered that the transmission casing was cracked and like half of the fluid was gone! The transmission still worked fine! (but i did replace it).

Its like a beautiful woman :) HIGH MAINTENANCE
By lovetodrive1 on 03/17/12 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my passat's looks but sadly it ends there :( It drives like a dream when it is not in the shop. If I can say one thing it would be to find a mechanic who knows something about a VW. That has really been my problem. It has been one expensive thing after another but I am hoping now that I have got all the bugs out it will take me on down the road. I did find a good mechanic finally but seriously this thing has had issues at only 80K that cars with 200K don't even see. Motor mounts, oil pressure problems, AC problems, I have replaced every single hose on the thing some even twice and I keep up on the service faithfully. There is a reason rich people own these cars!

If you know how to work on car, this is for you
By saneesh8 on 02/14/12 08:47 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially by spending all the money on repairs at stealership, i thought it is bad car. But once i started doing by my own with help from www.passatworld.com, not expensive. Or get information from the above website and find a trusted cheap mechanic. If you follow the simple rules like 40W full synthetic oil every 5k, change ATF at every 60K (Castrol import ATF is fine - from AZ) clean combi valve once in 2 yr, will run longer than a Toyota or Honda. Once you cross 100k, gaskets, hoses, Fuel filter and Timing belt (at 80K). Overall reliable car, decent MPG and most importantly safe. Premium fuel is bad side and don't need to use OEM expensive parts. My car close to 100k going strong..

I got this back in high school...
By rilezz13 on 12/22/10 09:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my black Passat when I was a sophomore in high school. The thing I love most about VWs is the German prestige that comes with the car. Theres something about the way European cars carry themselves as they sail down the highway. I previously owned a 2000 VW Jetta that I absolutly loved. The Passat is technically a superior car, but I think I'll buy another Jetta in the future. If you are thinking of buying one with the turbocharged engine, you MUST MUST use fully synthetic oil and change it every 3 thousand miles.

Same issues EVERYONE has...
By Disappointed on 02/23/10 22:48 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought "certified used" ran great for the extended warranty period. Heater stopped working 1yr after purchase, brought it to the dealer only to be told it was working fine, charged $200 for the "labor". Heater still blew cool air but I couldn't pay more money so I just made do. 3 yrs later, check oil pressure warnings consistently 1k-2k miles before the suggested oil service. I put so much oil into this piece I have to keep 5qt jugs in the trunk, NO LEAKS! Where is it going?! All 4 ignition coils burnt out! Never got recall notices but after calling THEM was told I qualify. Thermostat stuck open, clogged heater core. Headlamps constantly burn out, replaced all of them nearly twice a year!

Designed to Hemorrhage your money
By fedup2002 on 01/22/10 07:56 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car bleeds you!!! Donít let its beauty & handling sway you. I bought this car in 2005 w/ 4,600 miles. I loved it & had no problems with it. But since Jan. 2007, I have averaged $1K per/yr. in repairs - axles, brakes, check engine light(3-5x), dead batteries (2-3x), dead headlights(2x), dead radio (2x), & dead car(nothing worked, not the alarm, not the clock, not the engine). The recalls didnít cost me money but they cost me time. Repairs I paid for + repairs via recalls = lost time. Many times I went to work late, left early, or took the day off to fix my car. Even if you had a money tree just for the costs of fixing this car, itíll cost you time. This car isnít worth the trouble!

Never again, I want a full refund
By Dissatisfied again on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the car in the shop on three separate occasions in 7 months - twice for ignition coil problems and once for a valve problem. The second time it was in the shop for a week and they rented me a reliable dodge caravan. The last time the vehicle was in the shop they said there was a defective valve and sent my wife home without repairing the vehicle, but not before they backed my car into a wall and put a hole in my rear bumper. I will never buy a volkswagon again. Get something reliable like a camry or accord.

So far, so good!
By delpas on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased mid-Sept '02. Very nice handling sedan with adequate power (Tip makes it sluggish from a stop, unless you boot it) and good brakes. I'm hoping that VW will soon resolve the issue of the failing ignition coil packs....don't like the thought that one or more could fail while doing highway speeds with an 18 wheeler on my tail!

Not built any better than other cars.
By klausenheimer on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

If you are willing to spend lots of time at the dealership after your purchase for repairs, then this is the car for you. I haven't had the car a year yet and as I speak the car is sitting in my garage undrivable because it barely runs, and the engine malfunction light is flashing. Also, about 6 months after I bought the car, all of the chrome side molding pieces turned an ugly white hazy color. Also, the manual seat adjustments are horrible and hard to use and the console storage is essentially useless. I also have a really nice rattle in the dashboard, a tell tale sign of lousy build quality.