2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Well... Just don't drive it into water
By durasara on 08/19/13 23:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

First of all. I got the GLX v6 4motion I bought this car when it had 110,000 miles on it. Sounds crazy, but I bought it for 5k. The carfax showed that the previous owner had already taken care of the major maintenance stuff that starts popping up at around 80k. I can imagine, if I had owned the car during that time period I would have thought it was the worst car in the world. But I didn't. All I had to do was normal maintenance stuff. I brought it up to 210k miles and was still driving like new. So fun around corners and handled snow really well. Until... I was going to school and the street was flooded. Yaris and cruze made it through, Passat died. I really will miss this car.

an absolutely solid car, without a new car replacement
By topagentgroup on 11/11/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with about 20000 miles at less than a year old for $15500. I'm at 138000 with a private party value of $4500, it's been going up in value the past 3 years! An absolute joy to drive with the 4 cyl turbo and 34mpg. It seems to be a timeless styling blck/blck shines nicely. Synthetic only!! can't stress that enough and use the VW coolant. everyday garages will mess this car up like a bad hangover. I found an old VW specialized mechanic, won't let any other cars in the garage and has kept it running well for reasonable $. Replaced, timing belt/water pump at 80k, both frnt window regulators, 3 sets of tires/brakes, 2CV joints, 1 set of rotors,fuel pump at 136k due to ethanol

Unreliable yet built like a tank
By weatherman07 on 10/28/12 20:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Passat wagon - I'm trying to sell it. I have no idea why I decided to subject myself to another used VW after my experience with the first one. Don't get me wrong - new/nearly new (3-4 years old) VWs are great cars; they're reliable, luxurious..etc. But after they hit the 5 year mark, they go to hell. I heard a saying once that a check engine light is a beacon to let you know you're driving a VW, and that certainly rings true. It's always on and always very expensive to fix. The car does feel very solid and is good in the snow. The engine is slow to accelerate and gets mediocre gas mileage.

Update from 2010
By rilezz13 on 07/26/12 13:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

First let me say, I have NO complaints about the 1.8 Turbo 4-cylinder engine. It has been a wonderful, reliable, engine. I have always used synthetic oil and its just been great. My only nitpicking would be that it "sounds" like a 4-cylinder when idling (sewing machine?). Next: The Aisin automatic transmission. WOW!. About a year ago, the car (long story short) got bottomed out and the transmission got slammed into the road. I didn't think anything of it as it continued to work fine. When I took it for servicing much later on, the mechanic discovered that the transmission casing was cracked and like half of the fluid was gone! The transmission still worked fine! (but i did replace it).

190k and still hauling!
By mrspeedster on 04/05/12 07:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I do not know why so many people have had bad luck with this car. bought it at just under 100k miles, put on about 85k in the past 4 years (i drive alot of cross country for my work). Made sure to do a carfax and got it checked by my mech before i signed anything. In my case, the car was religiously taken in for maintenance every 4k miles to a VW dealer (one owner). Seems that the previous owner took care of the major "quwerks" the car had (water pump, cv, alt, vacuum hoses, fuel pump) since i bought it: tires (x1), brakes (x1), oil change (x5), injector service (x1), o2 sens (x1) the only thing annoying is that the dash just started showing 50% brightness, and heated seat went out, eh.

Its like a beautiful woman :) HIGH MAINTENANCE
By lovetodrive1 on 03/17/12 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my passat's looks but sadly it ends there :( It drives like a dream when it is not in the shop. If I can say one thing it would be to find a mechanic who knows something about a VW. That has really been my problem. It has been one expensive thing after another but I am hoping now that I have got all the bugs out it will take me on down the road. I did find a good mechanic finally but seriously this thing has had issues at only 80K that cars with 200K don't even see. Motor mounts, oil pressure problems, AC problems, I have replaced every single hose on the thing some even twice and I keep up on the service faithfully. There is a reason rich people own these cars!

If you know how to work on car, this is for you
By saneesh8 on 02/14/12 08:47 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially by spending all the money on repairs at stealership, i thought it is bad car. But once i started doing by my own with help from www.passatworld.com, not expensive. Or get information from the above website and find a trusted cheap mechanic. If you follow the simple rules like 40W full synthetic oil every 5k, change ATF at every 60K (Castrol import ATF is fine - from AZ) clean combi valve once in 2 yr, will run longer than a Toyota or Honda. Once you cross 100k, gaskets, hoses, Fuel filter and Timing belt (at 80K). Overall reliable car, decent MPG and most importantly safe. Premium fuel is bad side and don't need to use OEM expensive parts. My car close to 100k going strong..

Never will i own another VW again!
By alwillia on 03/31/11 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car thinking it would be a good way to save on gas and still able to haul my mountain bikes around and travel, was i wrong! To mention some of the problems... Tire went flat then the spare went flat, the glove box handle broke off, the knobs on the stereo came off, the alarm will go off at random times, the serpentine belt broke and fried the motor, gas cap door wouldn't open, the thermostat in cold weather sets off my check engine light, the hatch stopped opening, oh and to top it all off i have to put premium in the car which then makes it just as much much as my old SUV's to fill up. I have had an 88 Landcruiser and it ran better and was more reliable than this car!!!!!!!!!!

Good Review for Great Car!
By carguy133 on 03/07/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. Exceptional handling, acceleration and design. 4motion system is great in all weather, especially in my town where salt is not used and the roads become solid ice and snow from December until late March. About 110k miles, full synthetic oil and the engine (not exaggerating) sounds new. Only problems (as with all cars) AC leaks because I neglected to turn it on enough and tiny beginning of rust on one fender, but will be covered by 12 year rust warranty. Other than that zero mechanical problems, which may surprise some. I don't baby the car at all, but stay on top of it very well (oil, filters, etc.). Honestly, take care of this machine and it will take care of you.

8 year review
By bjss on 12/24/10 13:19 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Still going strong at 80K and 8 years. Recent issue with front motor mounts replaced (leaking) and valve cover gasket. But all-in-all it has been a reliable car. See other reviews (7 year, 6 year , etc..) for more info.