Great car
By realmathilda on
2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I have a 2001 Passat with over 211,000 miles on it and I will keep it for another 211,000. This is a great car, no problems German engineering is terrific. I take care of my cars. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and all I can say is this. When people write in all caps with exclamation points they are usually crazy drama queens and flying off the handle is common place for them. They are led around like puppies by their emotions or they are young kids that don't understand many things about life but believe they know it all. They haven't come to the age of understanding what real problems are and everything is a major inconvenience because they lack the patience to endure.
Favorite Features
Very roomy interior, the heated seats are very nice. They come with a lot of standard features. Drives great on the highway, great gas mileage. I drive 45 miles one way to work. They make the Passat with AWD, it's called 4motion, I don't have it but would consider on my next one. They also make these in diesels, they are very quiet and get 40mpg, another thing to consider for next time. They are not expensive to own, brand new they are $20,000 to $27,000.
Suggested Improvements
I have an older model so I'm sure this has been addressed but the two cup holders are not enough and very sub par. Maintenance is way too expensive at the dealership, just because it's German. Yes maintenance at any dealer is expensive but this is very excessive. Doing the work yourself can be complicated the first time.