2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Best car in its class
By skorth on 04/24/05 19:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my 2001.5 Passat for nearly two years and have not experienced any problems besides the ignition coils. I knew these were an issue before buying the car but that didn't deter me. The coils went out at about 20,000 miles. They were quickly replaced at the VW dealership with no problems. The car now has nearly 44,000 miles on it and it is still running great. This car is really fun to drive and looks better than any comparable Japanese car in the same class.

More Fun Than It Looks!
By bp1020 on 04/15/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased new and have had no problems. Great handling car, especially with replacement tires. Fun to drive with comfortable interior. Leather seats have held up well. Plenty of interior room for family of 4. I make regular road trips of 3 to 4 hours and with the fully adjustable seats have no problem staying comfortable (at 6'2"). The 4-cyl. turbo provides more than enough power and great gas mileage. I would purchase another Passat without question.

Used, but new to me...
By Rob on 04/05/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2001.5 Passat V6 4Motion on April Fools day and so far I am impressed. The vehicle has 69,000 miles on it and runs perfectly. When sitting in the vehicle I can't help but think I'm in a BMW (ahhh the memories). Interior styling as well as exterior make me feel like I'm in a much more expensive car, not that the original sticker price was by any means cheap. Coming from a truck that I've driven for the past two years this car can do nothing but spoil me and impress.

2001.5 Passat - WOW!
By George on 03/23/05 09:28 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the Passat has been the smoothest car I have ever driven. My parents have been Mercedes buyers forever, and frankly, I always had my heart set on the Benz. However, after driving the Passat, I realize I can get the similar quality German engineering for an affordable price.

Love Hate Relationship
By Disappointed in NJ on 03/11/05 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been back to the dealer more times than I want to admit. It's cost me too much money to keep: replaced the catalytic converters, ignition coil, coolant sensor, radiator hoses deteriorated. I don't understand why a 3.5 year old car has this many problems. I thought I was buying a car that would last. Moving on to a more reliable vehicle.

Frustration, Frustration!
By Stephany Morgan on 03/08/05 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I enjoyed driving this car for about the first 48000 miles. Then problems began to occur with an "oil sludge" problem. I am told this is a significant problem with the 2001 Passat. Most recently my Passat was at the dealership for about $1000.00 in parts and service and was driven only 7 miles before the same indicator light again appeared. I have already purchased another car due to the problems and unreliability of the Passat but at this point I am unable to even sell this one until this problem is taken care of.

Fun to drive ... expensive to maintain.
By big guy on 03/04/05 14:06 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased this Passat based on its size and safety. I love the way it drives but don't love the maintenance costs. I had to replace the stock tires at 18k mi. and replaced the front and rear brake rotors at around 21k miles. Now have 40k miles and rear rotors are warped again (I don't drive aggressively and use the car to commute 15 miles back and forth to work). Replaced 2 headlamps, 3 tail lamps, and the latch broke on glove box at 23k miles that dealer wouldn't cover under warranty. Initially loved the car but the shine is off the apple after spending more on maintenance than previous 3 cars combined.

This is a disappoinment
By ken on 02/23/05 21:34 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as new. Great style, works fine in two years until last year when suddenly the oil light came on 4000 miles after last oil change, took to the dealership and they told me the engine is burning oil in 1 qt. per 1000 mile, which I suspect even higher, the warranty forfeited because I didn't keep all the oil change record. the maintenance is fairly expensive overall, I took the car to the same dealership recently for battery change and it cost $400. I already regret buying it and am telling my friends not to buy it.

OK, but disappointed
By Disappointed on 02/12/05 18:27 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I do mostly city driving in my 2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS 1.8T. There is a lack of power while in 1st gear. Getting into 2nd gear still has a lot of resistence. In the 29,000 miles that I have had this car, the tires went bald, the driver door latch stopped working and I had to hold the door closed while I drove it to the dealer, the driver's head light died, there have been rattles, the ride quality diminished (takes bumps harshly), the auto up driver window hasn't worked once since day one, and it is true what they say about VW service...short and rude. I pity those who have bought the $70,000 Phaeton and have to put up with VW's dealer attitudes. I'll go back to Lexus soon.

Won't make this mistake again
By Disappointed NJ Girl on 02/02/05 14:25 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After researching many AWD vehicles, including SUVs, I bought a Volkswagen Passat AWD GLX because of the handling and many options that you get for the money. Well, you get what you pay for. As soon as I got my car, I brought it in three times for warped rotors and was told by VW each time that there was nothing wrong. Literally, as soon as the warranty was up, VW agreed that my rotors were warped and charged me $700 to fix them. When I called the main VW office, they didnít want to hear about the unfair treatment that I received. Then one year and $1,200 later, my ignition coil needed to be replaced. Now another year later, I have another hefty bill to pay for the car's throttle body & catalytic converter to be replaced.