2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Love this Car!
By SweetPea on 12/13/06 03:01 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am as tough on cars -- I have 4 dogs -- and I am not diligent about maintenance. I have put 170,000 abusive miles on my Passat in six years and have driven it to death. Except for oil issues in last two years -- I have not had much trouble. I replaced the oil pump twice and the water pump once -- that's been it, besides brakes and tires. VW dealer prices are stiff, so I use a reliable local guy for repairs. The Passat's tyling and drivebility are great. All of its interior features continue to work perfectly. The trunk space is great and the back seat collapses for extra room. I think this is a great car and would buy another, even though oil issues prevail. I have learned that timely maintenance is key.

The Best VW I've Ever Had
By Passat Enthusiast on 11/29/06 07:50 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have no complaints about this car except for the chronic softness of the brakes. I would say that this is the best car ever. It's fun to drive and economical. It also has excellent handling and a cockpit-like feel for driver. It is superior feel to the BMW 3-Series. It was engineered by Audi, and this is the poor man's Audi. Actually, I like its looks better.

Drains?
By anonymous on 11/13/06 05:51 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my gold 2001 Passat. It is so beautiful and I always end up smiling while I'm driving it. It drives great, looks great, and holds its value. However, it seems to have problems with the drains. First, the air conditioning got moldy in it because there is no drain for it. Then, the sunroof started leaking. Now, the floor in the back gets a nice puddle in it if it rains and I drive. Other than these problems, it has been very dependable. For a first car I really couldn't ask for anything better. At least, after reading the reviews with sludge problems, I hope so...

Fun and Reliable
By vandal on 10/24/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

What a great car! It is smooth, roomy, and has plenty of torque. It is well appointed. The interior craftsmanship is top notch. It is easy to get comfortable in any seat, which makes it great for long trips. It is 5 years old and its still as tight and rattle free as when it was brand new. The exterior is a cinch to care for. It handles well in all weather conditions, I've blown by other chain equipped cars on broken snow floor. This is absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Used Passat Purchase
By mike meltzer on 10/17/06 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a certified used vehicle and so far has been excellent in handling and ride. The seats could be more plush though.

Passat - A Good Vehicle
By Paul on 08/10/06 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first sports sedan and after four years of owership, I consider the Passatto be a very good choice. The car performs well in all weather conditions in upstate NY and is fun to drive. Its reliability has been significantly better than the new GM vehicles I have purchased in the past. With more hp and the value of a VW (vs. BMW, Volvo, etc.), I would strongly consider buying another the next time I buy.

Excellent
By Sherry Conrad on 06/13/06 20:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The 2001 Passat GLS is the best car I've ever had. It is gorgeous and runs wonderfully. It's worth every penny.

Huge Repair Bills
By Frustrated on 06/06/06 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car was fine until at 36,000 miles I had to spend $1,000 on the front end. It now has 58,000 miles on it, and I have spent over $7,000 in repairs in the past 2 years. I am a safe and careful driver, and have done proper maintenance. The front end just keeps falling apart. The CV joints, CV boots, axles, tie rods, and control arms all had to be replaced on both sides. It has had oil leaks and brake problems too. I am extremely disappointed. I wanted to drive this car for 12 years, not five.

Fell apart at 75,000 Miles
By RP on 05/13/06 16:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my 2001.5 Passat until last weekend when it essentially self-destructed at 76,000 miles. Although I've maintained it religiously, a water pump leak ultimately caused the timing belt to slip off while driving on the freeway, bending the heads and piercing the radiator. The repairs will costing about $5,000. My mechanic says it's a design flaw and could happen again.

My Passat
By phista4169 on 04/11/06 16:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has everything I have ever wanted except for a moonroof. this car is great, from being able to fit four guys my size in it with no problems and to how quick it is, It may not win any races, but it gets there with plenty of frills including windows that automatically go down and up.