Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great used Value
By 2LtRyan

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car drives extremely well. You are basically buying an Audi A6 Quattro, with less to fix. The car handles and stops amazingly well. Instrumentation is great, the cup holders stink and that is fixed in later models. Fit and finish is excellent. The V6 is much better than the 4cyl - less problems. Car runs and looks like new - now I have 160,000 miles! Oil leaks and the cost of parts is a bugger, but if you are religious with the maint enance schedule you shouldn't have any issues. Amazing value for the money. More bells and whistles than other cars for way less.

4Motion All-wheel drive, switch-blade key, heated seats, great handling, smooth quite ride. good space for kids and gear, radio controls on steering wheel. great anti-theft.

Cup holders, brake dust, bigger side mirrors and better gaskets to preven oil leaks.

Save Yourself a Headache
By Lemon Gurl

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Please save yourself a headache and a lot of money. I have had a 2001 VW Passat for almost six years. This car has to be the most poorly made, overpriced, unreliable car that I have ever owned. Everything is ridiculous - you spend so much money just to own the car, then (starting at 20,000 miles) I was having problems with the vehicle. Every dealership I have dealt with was NOT customer helpful, didn't care about the buyer, and VW does everything it can to rip off it's owner's. Get something more reliable with your money! STAY AWAY from Volkswagen!

Lower your prices, make your cars with more quality...just go back to the drawing board! Your cars stink! I tell everyone I know to never buy VW!

Not Perfect, but Still Going Strong!
By Elly

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My Passat 4Motion is a "mystery wrapped in an enigma" when it comes to the panels and sensors. However, I've had the (used) car for three years now, and aside from a few electrical issues, it's been pretty reliable. And I love the combination of driving pleasure and practicality. The engine is still quite peppy, it handles very well and has a great turning radius. It was more comfortable than any other midsize wagon/small SUV I test-drove, and can carry everything from a 9 ft. long 2x4, to three kids in car seats, to a fully constructed hutch from Ikea. As a mother, investment property owner, and part-time teacher, I'm very happy with my all-purpose wagon.

The comfortable seats, driving pleasure, space, performance, flexibility, and practicality without sacrificing style.

Improve the gas mileage and reliability of electrical system Warning/feedback system.

67,000 Miles and Needs a NEW ENGINE?! Save Your Money
By never again VW

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our Passat new, have always taken care of it, and up until recently we enjoyed it. Taking it into the shop this last time we JUST now found that out there is an OIL SLUDGE issue (which they have KNOWN about but didn't tell consumers!!) - to the tune of $1,500 to "maybe" fix the problem?!! If that doesn't work than they're saying it needs a new ENGINE for $8,500! The car is STILL under warranty, but VW won't cover the repairs because we don't have all our receipts for oil changes! Talk about undermining on the edge of criminal. I will NEVER again buy a Volkswagen again! I guess folks are right : buy a Honda or Toyota and you won't get screwed!

The sunroof - when it didn't leak!

The interior fabric is the WORST at catching lint and showing every little thing. Also, use thicker brake pads, they should last longer. STICK by your darn warranty! I can't wait until DATELINE gets a hold of this one!

2001 Passat Still Drives Great.
By Hope Garrett

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this car for more than six years now. It has been so reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. It's a great car and always fit everything I tried to cram into it. The only problem is that it's hard to fit three booster seats in the back and impossible to fit three car seats.

The engine is powerful but still provides good gas mileage. We often get over 30 mpg on the highway (nowhere close to our Honda Insight, however).

Give it better gas mileage through using a hybrid engine. Also, it would be nice if the cup holders fit something bigger than a soda can.