2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
'01 GLX wagon: a beauty
By famdoc on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

never had any repairs or waranty work. did have an accident and getting parts for it through the VW network was very poor. i love this car, but the parts issue really dampened my enthusiasm.

Read the Fine Print!
By Guil_4D on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Pay close attention to VW's warranty and document all of your service visits (maitain complete records of all scheduled and non- scheduled maintenance). My failure to do so taught me an expensive lesson. At 39,000 miles my wagon's cam shaft siezed. VW voided the powertrain warranty because I was unable to provide documentation of 30K and 35K service. Factory rebuilt engines cost $6,100 installed. OUCH!

Beware
By iajtapmas on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Ungaraged, the car looks fabulous. However, my problems started before the first scheduled maintenance, and went on and on. Had to miss work quite a lot. What option do you have when you have invested over 33K on a car. For details on what happenned please visit my posting on http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotiv e/vw_smoke.html. This manufacturer is nothing but problems. Please review thoroughly before you make a decision to buy this car. The reviewers give high marks to this car. Unfortunately, reliability is not one of their criteria.

Best in it's class
By SF on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The main problem with the car is a lag on the transmission - when you step on the gas, you wait & then it engages. I have also taken it to the dealer 3 times to fix another transmission issue, when coming to a full stop, often I hear a 'clunk' which sounds as if the transmission is moving forwards. Dealer tells me that it's nothing.. hmmmm.

A Great Station Wagon
By szakal on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The moon roof is so loud when open that we could not enjoy the ride with it at all. So I went out to buy the wind deflector for it. It does a great job, but then, when the window is closed it generates a lot of extra noise. I still don't know if I liked with or without it better.

a first class LEMON
By rnm442aol.com on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Broke down (lost power) the day I bought it brand new. Was in the shop for 2 weeks..replaced entire electrical system. Lost power 6 times since then..oil system problems...tensioner..I feel TOTALLY UNSAFE in this car. VW will do nothing. I'll never buy another VW Worst car I ever had Dick MArshall Pittsburgh

Happy with the purchase
By PassatWagon01.5 on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought the GLS V6 after weeks of research on family wagons. It all came down to this car and the Volvo V70. The Volvo V70 had very cheap interior, weaker engine, less performance, and very uncomfortable seats for $7K more!! The decesion was an easy one. We feel we got a lot more car for the money we spent. This car is bordering on luxury auto for $24K. It handles great. The engine is very responsive. It has tons of room if you fold the back seats down. The only problems we have had have been minor electrical issues. The fron headlight ($50!!! at the dealer), and the remote transmitter (warranty) had to be replaced.

Up in smoke
By iajtapmas on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new from the dealership. After two and a half years during which i spent almost 2K in maintenance, the car went up in smoke last week as i was driving. For details look for my posting on http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotiv e/vw_smoke.html. New and used car buyers please be very careful before deciding to buy cars from VW

I love this car!
By madagan on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Truth be told, I bought this car for my dog... My 98 VW GTI VR6 wasn't quite big enough for all of our stuff for all of our adventures. After much research and forethought, we upgraded. The car is essentially an Audi A6 Avant in street clothes. I had it all... it was sexy, practical, and drives like a sports car [not quite as zippy as the GTI VR6, but still quite zippy!]. It's been two years now, and after several road trips [even took to sleeping in it rather than hassle with the tent!], snowboarding trips, home depot shopping safaris, and the occassional [I wish] commute, I'm happy to report I would make the same choice all over again. It's a fabulous car all around.

Best Value In Its Class
By slax on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I researched cars for months and everything consistantly pointed me back to the Passat. For the money, I dare anyone to try and find a car that gives you more value, safety and performance. This car is essentially an Audi with a VW badge. I drove the V6 model also, but the 1.8T has plenty of pep, better milage and saves you a couple grand to boot.