2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Will Never Buy Another VW
By Kathy on 07/31/08 10:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car because it was a Consumer Reports best buy. We've had had so many repairs I can't remember them all (oxygen sensors, coils replaced, air flow meter, and more) and the check engine light stays on constantly. Right now the anti-lock braking system sensor is bad, but it will cost nearly $1,000 to replace, so I drive around with the dash lighting up and blinking like a Christmas tree. We spent over $3,000 in a space of 2 months last year. When parts fail they are *very* expensive to replace - even using a local garage instead of the dealership. Interior: the coating is peeling off the interior plastic surfaces, the armrest latch broke, and the cup holders are flimsy.

Falling apart
By Jacek on 07/07/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new as a second car. In seven and a half years put on 42,000 miles. First thing went the batteries, little over two years old just after the warranty. Then the interior 'moving accessories', ashtray lid, broke twice, I don't smoke use it to keep change. Then the cup holder -terrible design every time I use it it feels that it will break. The wood trim and the shifter was next, new shifter over $180! Antenna and the rubber trim on it and around the base; need to remove the roof panel and the skylight to replace a $.50 gasket cost over 400 bucks! All the rubber trim is falling apart. Then the console mounting brackets broke, had that replaced for $370 Now a $3.5K bill for front end!

Don't go near this car!
By stayaway on 05/31/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Stay away from this car, unless youÂ’re OK spending thousands of $ on repairs. Unreliable, constant repairs. VW Service Center unable to appropriately diagnose. $1OO each visit for them to even diagnose - never fixed. From check engine warning light to cracked hoses, leaks throughout the history of the car. A Lemon. Worst all around car experience from purchase.

Poor Engine - Terrible warrantee
By hp007 on 05/02/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 6 years and did the oil change as required. I gave this car to my daughter for college in Maryland last month. She called one night and said that a light was on saying not to drive the car. At 11 PMt, I guess I was supposed to tell her to start walking along the side of the road. (I was thinking rape,or abduction.)I told her to to drive to the nearest gas station and get oil to see if the problem went away. It did not. We had the car towed to the VW dealership in Dover,Delaware. There was a warranty extension on the engine due to many oil sludge problems ruining the engine. Since she drove to the nearest gas station to be safe, they voided the warranty!!!

As Mr. T says "Passats are fo suckas!"
By FornerPassatSucker on 04/22/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was the German engineering dream I wanted. It started off great but went downhill quickly. If you own any turbo passat, search "Engine Sludge", then walk, no run away from the car. Worse yet, when I could produce the oil change receipts from the life of the car (i bought it used) they would honor their "internal warranty" to replace the engine unless I got $2500 worth of different repairs. I was strong armed by the dealer. Stay away from this car and VW in general. I just got a Merc. Milan. read its reviews and got get one. They are way, WAY better than this hunk of junk. "I pity da fool in a VW Passat."

I LOVE it... When it runs!
By Mphillips on 04/22/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wanted a VW Passat for a long time. I looked for over 2 months and finally found a car in great shape. I had the mechanics checked out and drove the car for about a day prior to making a decision. I have now paid to replace the head gasket, valve cover seals, viscous fan, electric fan, radiator, electric fan switch, front wire harness and more. I have spent an additional 2700 dollars in repars since early 2007. I run full synthetic oil as recommended by VW. I change it every 3000-4000 miles (5000 recommended). I change filters regularly and run premium fuel (for the turbo). NOBODY should work on VW but dealer or VERY experienced. Dealer will rape you for part AND labor. Buy new w/full warranty

Fun when it runs
By JoeMaMa on 03/13/08 19:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new fall 2000 first problems right away. Coil problems and only 3 months old! Multiple trips to dealer before it was fixed. Over the next 4 years only a few trips to dealer for electrical related problems. Most trips were in the $400.00 range each time. Spring of 06 500 miles from home motor burns up due to oil sludge problem. After being required to produce all receipts for oil changes VW replaces motor and turbo. It's a miracle a trip to dealer that I didn't have to pay for. Except for van rental, crying kids and hotel. All this with only 54K on odometer. 6 trips to dealer since, more electrical problems. It's fun when it runs. (zoom zoom?)

Best car I have ever owned
By Susan on 02/24/08 08:11 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a very reliable car. No problems. Only needed required maintenance. Brakes last beyond 50,000 miles. Great gas mileage and great in the snow. Has a lot of pick up for a V4 engine... no need for a higher end, gas guzzler for pick up.

All around best vehicle
By jw on 02/23/08 20:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Passat brand new 7.5 years ago (51K miles) and I have never had an issue with the car! Love the interior (except cup holder) and exterior.

MUST READ THIS
By NO on VW on 08/31/07 14:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Do not buy this car. From the very beginning of ownership, it has been a money pit. Within two years, had to replace entire suspension, total front dashboard in car (anything that had lights in it). One major problem after another. Also one minor problem after another. Car looks great, but is a terrible on reliability. We have been stranded multiple times...even on vacation. That our experience as fair warning. Do not buy a VW Passat.