2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Will Never Buy Another VW
By Kathy

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car because it was a Consumer Reports best buy. We've had had so many repairs I can't remember them all (oxygen sensors, coils replaced, air flow meter, and more) and the check engine light stays on constantly. Right now the anti-lock braking system sensor is bad, but it will cost nearly $1,000 to replace, so I drive around with the dash lighting up and blinking like a Christmas tree. We spent over $3,000 in a space of 2 months last year. When parts fail they are *very* expensive to replace - even using a local garage instead of the dealership. Interior: the coating is peeling off the interior plastic surfaces, the armrest latch broke, and the cup holders are flimsy.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good power for entering freeway, handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Just make a reliable car that won't cost so much in repairs!

Falling apart
By Jacek

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new as a second car. In seven and a half years put on 42,000 miles. First thing went the batteries, little over two years old just after the warranty. Then the interior 'moving accessories', ashtray lid, broke twice, I don't smoke use it to keep change. Then the cup holder -terrible design every time I use it it feels that it will break. The wood trim and the shifter was next, new shifter over $180! Antenna and the rubber trim on it and around the base; need to remove the roof panel and the skylight to replace a $.50 gasket cost over 400 bucks! All the rubber trim is falling apart. Then the console mounting brackets broke, had that replaced for $370 Now a $3.5K bill for front end!

Favorite Features

Getting rid of the piece of crap. Have an old Grand Cherokee that has outperformed the VW by a grand margin, go figure.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality of product, parts, engineering, fit and trim.

Don't go near this car!
By stayaway

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Stay away from this car, unless you’re OK spending thousands of $ on repairs. Unreliable, constant repairs. VW Service Center unable to appropriately diagnose. $1OO each visit for them to even diagnose - never fixed. From check engine warning light to cracked hoses, leaks throughout the history of the car. A Lemon. Worst all around car experience from purchase.

Favorite Features

Great sound system and styling.

Suggested Improvements

VW Corp should work more closely with VW dealerships/mechanics to review repetitive, chronic problems. VW Corp should provide assistance to consumers with these repetitive issues.

Poor Engine - Terrible warrantee
By hp007

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 6 years and did the oil change as required. I gave this car to my daughter for college in Maryland last month. She called one night and said that a light was on saying not to drive the car. At 11 PMt, I guess I was supposed to tell her to start walking along the side of the road. (I was thinking rape,or abduction.)I told her to to drive to the nearest gas station and get oil to see if the problem went away. It did not. We had the car towed to the VW dealership in Dover,Delaware. There was a warranty extension on the engine due to many oil sludge problems ruining the engine. Since she drove to the nearest gas station to be safe, they voided the warranty!!!

Favorite Features

Nice car to drive. I took care of it with recommended oil changes. Sporty car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine sludge problem by making better engines. Mo more VW's for me!!! A little quality goes a long way!!!

As Mr. T says "Passats are fo suckas!"
By FornerPassatSucker

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was the German engineering dream I wanted. It started off great but went downhill quickly. If you own any turbo passat, search "Engine Sludge", then walk, no run away from the car. Worse yet, when I could produce the oil change receipts from the life of the car (i bought it used) they would honor their "internal warranty" to replace the engine unless I got $2500 worth of different repairs. I was strong armed by the dealer. Stay away from this car and VW in general. I just got a Merc. Milan. read its reviews and got get one. They are way, WAY better than this hunk of junk. "I pity da fool in a VW Passat."

Favorite Features

Instrument Panel.

Suggested Improvements

Owning up to a known problem, standing with your customers, ethical dealers.

I LOVE it... When it runs!
By Mphillips

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wanted a VW Passat for a long time. I looked for over 2 months and finally found a car in great shape. I had the mechanics checked out and drove the car for about a day prior to making a decision. I have now paid to replace the head gasket, valve cover seals, viscous fan, electric fan, radiator, electric fan switch, front wire harness and more. I have spent an additional 2700 dollars in repars since early 2007. I run full synthetic oil as recommended by VW. I change it every 3000-4000 miles (5000 recommended). I change filters regularly and run premium fuel (for the turbo). NOBODY should work on VW but dealer or VERY experienced. Dealer will rape you for part AND labor. Buy new w/full warranty

Favorite Features

Leather interior and handling

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the rubber coating on the interior plastic parts. It peels off and looks bad. How about a metal viscious and electric fan? Reliability needs a lot of work. This car is known to nickel and dime people broke... I just wish I had looked a little harder at the reviews before buying...

Fun when it runs
By JoeMaMa

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new fall 2000 first problems right away. Coil problems and only 3 months old! Multiple trips to dealer before it was fixed. Over the next 4 years only a few trips to dealer for electrical related problems. Most trips were in the $400.00 range each time. Spring of 06 500 miles from home motor burns up due to oil sludge problem. After being required to produce all receipts for oil changes VW replaces motor and turbo. It's a miracle a trip to dealer that I didn't have to pay for. Except for van rental, crying kids and hotel. All this with only 54K on odometer. 6 trips to dealer since, more electrical problems. It's fun when it runs. (zoom zoom?)

Favorite Features

Transmission is fun to play with on the twisties. Car is just like new exterior and interior. Eight years old and only 64K on odometer. It disguises its age well.

Suggested Improvements

Attempted to pick up repair manual at local bug shop. Had cow when told price and saw that it was the size of 2 metro phone books. VW went techno-overload on this car. Too much crap to go wrong and believe me it has gone wrong and will continue to go wrong.

Best car I have ever owned
By Susan

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a very reliable car. No problems. Only needed required maintenance. Brakes last beyond 50,000 miles. Great gas mileage and great in the snow. Has a lot of pick up for a V4 engine... no need for a higher end, gas guzzler for pick up.

Favorite Features

reliability, great pick up

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are terrible, break easily

All around best vehicle
By jw

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Passat brand new 7.5 years ago (51K miles) and I have never had an issue with the car! Love the interior (except cup holder) and exterior.

Favorite Features

roomy, easy to drive, love my heated seats and stereo, memory seat setting and plenty of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder

MUST READ THIS
By NO on VW

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Do not buy this car. From the very beginning of ownership, it has been a money pit. Within two years, had to replace entire suspension, total front dashboard in car (anything that had lights in it). One major problem after another. Also one minor problem after another. Car looks great, but is a terrible on reliability. We have been stranded multiple times...even on vacation. That our experience as fair warning. Do not buy a VW Passat.