2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Never again
By Tang on 06/20/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was brought brand new, driven with great care, never been in accident, oil changed every 4000-5000 miles. But it died twice and had to be towed in 3 years, same problem - the secondary air pump filled with water! The drive train was covered 100K / 10 years, but that pump was part of the "emission system" so I had to pay $750 each time to have that fixed. The second time it happened I traded it in for a new Toyota 2 days later and never will walk into a VW dealer again.

Best Car I have had!
By Zablan on 06/01/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is easily the best car I have had and continue to have. It is extremely reliable considering I do push the car hard and never service it more than once a year/ It now has over 285000 miles on the clock and still runs perfect. I also have a Audi A4 (2007) and daughter has a BMW 530 (2006), its definitely a better car than these and a bargain on fuel consumption, maintenance and insurance. The only problem I have is the velvour interior attracts dust and looks out of date now and the build design is boring. But if your not worried about its looks then this is probably the best car in the world. Note its popular with cabbies hence must be reliable and cheap to run.

Love/hate relationship with this $-pit
By Jeanne on 04/20/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything aesthetically and performance-wise about this car. But I HATE the repair bills. Last year it cost me $4K in total repairs, and more this year. I've always been good about oil changes and general maintenance, but man o man it got expensive after 100K miles. Tie rods, ball joints, brakes, O2 sensors (and there are a lot of them), catalytic converter. Engine light NEVER goes off. Now it won't pass inspection without $1800 more in repairs and I'd rather spend money on a newer car than old, so I'm saying good bye (and sadly, good riddance) to the first car I ever truly loved. Must say I'm getting a decent trade in allowance from a VW dealer. No one else wants to touch it!

It's a shame
By Steve C. on 02/11/09 08:57 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

It let me down. I've maintained this car well. Babied it, in fact. Did all of the proper fluid changes, including brake and coolant flushes, rotated tires, etc. But it still began to require expensive repairs around 70,000 miles. Brake pads only lasted around 30K. The exterior and interior held up well. The leather seats are soft and durable without much care and conditioning. The car handles great, does good in the snow, but oil leaks and coolant problems ruined an otherwise great experience. I would've kept buying VW products if they could just hold together to 100,000 miles without expensive repairs. Sadly, they can't. Nice car, just don't keep it much past the warranty.

Money pit
By learnedmylesson on 02/09/09 09:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first "new" car. Had been driving a 93 Buick LeSabre with 100k+ miles that never gave me a problem. Bought the wagon in May '07 for $10,900 w/ 62k miles and spent $4,815.04 in 2008 on repairs ($391 so far in '09). I've lost track of all the issues I've had. Every time I go to the mechanic I ask "what am I doing wrong" the answer is always "it's not you it's the car, it's a VW." To name a few: Catalytic converter, 3 recalls, front pipe leak, and after a day of heavy rain the electrical unit died.

Do your research before buying!
By Nick on 01/20/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have to say I was pretty disappointed with this car. It caught my eye right away with its European design characteristics, but I have found that this is one of only a few highlights of driving this car. My Passat has been plagued with electrical problems, from a finicky headlight control switch to internal shorts in the heated seat switches that drain the battery, both which have high repair costs due to diagnostics and labor. Also have had 4 O2 sensors go out, with the replacement parts alone costing $160+. Have also had issues with coolant temp sensors and problems with front end alignment, not too mention a couple rounds of recalls. I really expected more from German engineering.

Dependable Winter Car with handles.
By TDotten on 12/02/08 10:59 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned the car for about 8 months, but I absolutely love it. I bought the car from a guy who was meticulous in his maintenance and it has been extremely reliable. The guy also upgraded the suspension with Kuni springs and Eibach struts (plus UHP tires), so it handles ridiculously well. It is more fun to drive than any car I have ever owned and it's a station wagon! We also have a 100 Lb lab/Great dane, and he fits well in the back due to the largest trunk in it's class. I couldn't be happier with the car and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Lots of problems with this one
By airclowns on 11/21/08 05:59 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Driving this car is exciting and fun. However, maintenance and reliability are a great disappointment. Replacing the transmission at approx. 75,000 miles was not cheap. Servicing is difficult, replacing a thermostat sits way in the back of the engine, requiring lots of dis-assembly. There is an oil leak that has been there for years, it will cost me several thousand $ in labor to fix. 2 power windows just fell into the doors at approx 150,000 miles. It cost me $450 to fix them outside of dealership- parts are expensive and you have to be a technician to get the door panel off. Typical German car, you need special tools to do anything, including removing tires.

Avoid VW 4cyl. Turbo Engine
By Michael on 10/03/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine poor. Once motor reached 100 miles, motor needed constant repair. Have spent over $3k on major engine repair. The wagon was intended for family with two children, but has proven to be very unreliable. Wife, toddler and infant have been towed several times from side of freeway. Mechanically, the engine is poor and unreliable, asked master mechanic "Would you drive this car?", he answered, "Me? No. The motor is no good, we see 'em all the time".

Lotta luxury for little money
By Jolene on 07/31/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used as my primary vehicle. I haul a lot of furniture in my business and wanted the roomy rear section without going for an SUV. It filled the bill more than perfectly. I love the handling, German-engineering, and roomy, comfortable leather seats. We always take this car on road trips and enjoy the luxury and comfort. I have had absolutely no problems with this gem!