Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

best car
By roy

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

WE had a 2002 Acura TL back in 02 and just got this 01 passat in 2010. and it has more options and features then most 2010 luxury vehicles been driving the crap out of it, hard driving, long distance everything not one light has came on (check engine) or anything. its the glx v6 with automatic a/c and have no complaints me and my wife love this car and woudn't trade it for anythimg else, only complaint gas mileage (around city) and cup holders, but eveything else works great even with 145,000 miles you would never guess it had that many it drives like its brand new. anyway all I can say is we love and plan on keeping it tell it dies

Favorite Features

everything, v6, moonsoon, a/c leather

Suggested Improvements

cup holders

Pretty, fun
By SpaceDude

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Got this 2001.5 model (2001 base with updated looks of 2002) = driving older car that looks like newer. Overall quality of the car was pretty good, no dingelingding during driving, doors closed with a good, Mercedes like smack. Engine was so-so: The turbo kicked in a bit late, which created interesting situations as 4 way Stops: You step on the gas, nothing happens, so you step more into it, and all of the sudden the care takes off (rubber donuts, squeeking wheels, the whole show). Once moving, car was fun to drive. The mirror-adjustment joystick's position is inadequate when you're 6"+ tall: your knee will rip that thing right off while getting in. Had quite a few electrical issues though.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling while driving (Fahrvergnügen.), safety (curtain airbags also in the rear). Smart computer with sort of trip analysis, blue lights in dashboard were kinda different - not necessarily better, but different.

Suggested Improvements

Electric: Don't want to hear about failing power-cables. That's why I buy a German car, zum Teufel! Given the problems, the warranty was super-short: 2 years / 24k - excuse me? Was lucky no other issues came up for remainder of lease. This changed with next year's model, where it was doubled.

NICE STYLE, POOR SUBSTANCE
By WP

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

this is a nice looking car and at almost 10 years old doesn't look old or have a dated style to it. But it definitely has its share of problems. Most are problems that vw is aware of and has not corrected...oil leaks that fill the cabin with smoke, bad coil packs, oil sludge, check engine malfunctions...and it ain't cheap to fix! I tried so hard to buy a Mustang or a Honda for my wife, but she insisted she wanted a Passat...she gets very quiet when we have to take it to the shop every month. You pay too much for that cool style with repair bills...

Favorite Features

cool, understated style. Looks nice and respectable.

Suggested Improvements

fix the design flaws and cut down on the repairs and complaints. Consumer Reports rated the Passat one of the worst used cars to buy...I wish I had know this!

Love-hate relationship
By glxauto

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I chose the Passat wagon over the A6 wagon, because the Passat's ride is superior and it has more interior space. In an attempt to protect myself against the VW's poor reliability reputation, I bought a certified pre-owned Passat *and* an extended warranty. Looking back, that was a smart move. However, now that all the warranties have expired, the Passat is breaking down with a vengeance. Every visit to the mechanic costs an arm and a leg, with the most recent visit (alternator + battery) costing me $1500! And it is only March! I am sad the Passat and I have to part ways now, because it is truly a safe and comfortable car. But I love my wallet more.

Favorite Features

Great ride, roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to keep the oil in the engine.

horrible car...dont buy
By david

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

never owned a worse car in my life!! Leaks oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. Buying American made cars from now on!!

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

everything