2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Practical but Troublesome
By ShrinerMonkey on 06/03/06 10:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Passat's excellent driving dynamics and a premium cabin cannot make up for its horrible reliability and incredibly poor dealer service. Even with regular maintenance which is extremely expensive because of synthetic and proprietary fluid requirements and expensive parts, this car has still had numerous part failures in only 60,000 pampered miles of driving. I love European cars but they are too expensive to own.

Service to Death!
By Marj on 01/11/06 21:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Let me start by saying I love my Passat, but my husband hates it (he's a loyal Toyota fan). I dig the performance drive. I can overlook little things, but the number of times I have taken this car to the shop is insane! Repairs range between $300 and $1,500 each, even the little things. I never use anything but synthetic for oil changes, which are $50. Last week the power door lock on the driver's door stopped working, its a $400 repair. I also need tie rods and an alignment. I am considering ditching this fun to drive wagon for a vanilla vehicle. Can VW say low maintenance?

why poor value?
By batcycle on 07/28/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the most reliable car I have ever had. It has all the bells and whistles and then some (besides the lack of a cup holder), great comfort, great gas mileage (30+mpg), and now 63000 miles and counting. Why is it not retaining its value when it is so well rated?

Roomy & fun!
By Deutschmobilers on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The wagon replaced an Audi A4, to better lug around 2 kids & their hockey gear. We gave up a scant amount of interior luxury, and an imperceptible amount of performance, for more room & lots of fun. The engine burned a bit of oil irregularly, for which we got the "measure it again" run-around, and the electrical system needed tweaking, but it was a minor nuisance overall. This car went to 65000 miles in 2.5 years, and we traded it in for the 2004 model.

Jury's Still Out
By Sandown on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car, used, as a certified car from a VW dealership. It had 51k miles on it, but was very clean. The brakes were brand new (metallic pads). Now, 6,000 miles later, the rotors are starting to warp. We just got back from a trip into the mountains, and the upper rpm power is not very impressive. The 22.5 mpg average fuel consumption is a little lower than expected for an auto in mixed driving, especially with the price of premium. I live in Phoenix, and I bought the car in December. Now that it is getting warmer (low 90s), the AC pull-down time is longer than expected.

I might be unlucky...
By UnluckyWithPassat on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I might be unlucky with this car... My Passat became a whole trouble starting right after the first oil change: for those two and a half years that I owned it, I fixed about 10 different defects under warranty and from my pocket. Plus not yet fixed but persisting problem with rough idle and vibration. So, I decided to get rid from it untill the problems get worse because for $26000 I could have anticipated something more reliable...

Stay Away
By Duane Kimball on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this car 3 years. Bought it new. The steering column has frozen twice and had to be replaced. The tires were bald after 23,000 miles. The rotors went at 40,000 miles and the rear calipers froze at the same time. VW's warranty had expired and they didn't even offer sympathy. This car is unreliable.

VW Customer Care doesn't give a care!
By loathevw on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

On the surface, this roomy and well appointed wagon was a pleasant surprise. The problem with VW on the whole is not with their product (although my 1.8T was flawed) but with poor customer service, starting with the dealer and continuing up through this misnamed Customer Care office. Worst auto delivery experience ever from any dealer. Service dept. is suspect. I'll not touch another VW product with a 10 foot pole! Anyone interested in a used Passat wagon?

Better than an SUV
By ShrinerMonkey on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great looking and equiped car for the money, basically an Audi but for thousands less. However, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, squeeks and rattles abound and are very hard to fix. The turbo lag of the 1.8T is annoying and the engine is noisy. The MAF sensor went out at 32,000 miles ($500 to replace). The rear seats are a major hassle to fold down and the glove box and cup holders are a joke. The headlights are also dangerously underpowered on their low beam setting. Overall a good car, but disappointing build quality and reliabilty.

Passat Sedan
By PassatOwnerDavid on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to drive. But not reliable. Very difficult to deal with dealer. Customer service are not too helpful. Repair can be very frustrating.