2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst Car I've owned. personally.
By palm on 08/19/09 10:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car after wrecking my BMW. The electronic rumors are true about VW's. So many sensors breaking and problems with the car. Had to take out fuse for the horn because it would honk uncontrollably. O2 sensor went out soon after I bought it. Broke down on the highway only after 6 months of owning it because the electronic systems all failed. Plain interior but not a bad looking car. I could have just got unlucky and bought a bad one though.

THE WORST LEMON EVER
By DOWNONVW on 08/16/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 4 years old and I can't remember the exact amount of miles then, it has about 110,000 now. Everything that could go wrong went wrong luckily I had an extended warranty. I always loved VWs but this car has turned me off to them completely. From now on I'm sticking with Toyotas or Subarus.

Handle with care
By Bart on 07/31/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Solid feel, great seats, excellent dashboard lights, likes to run like a horse. Has an impressive look. The V6 is a better engine than the Turbo and gets the same gas mileage. Fun to drive. Unfortunately the car must be meticulously looked after. Control arms damage easily, electrical nuisances, check engine light goes on if gas cap is not tight, rotors are prone to warping. Poor cup holders, premium gas. Only 45000 miles.

What a Nightmare
By A nightmare on 07/27/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

everything that has happened to all the reviews posted here has happened to ours. the engine finally gave out leaving my daughter stranded with two kids while the son is in Iraq. this has been the worst car i have ever bought in 30 years. The Worst!!!! they really need to do a recall on the whole car. thanks for nothing VW

fun to drive pain to fix
By carmom22 on 07/01/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love driving this car. It is stylish sporty for a sedan. Great leather interior. it is SO comfortable. However this car is haunted by electrical problems in the dashboard for many years.

"Terrible Car"
By "please run away" on 06/22/09 05:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car used with 125000 miles on it.The troubles started 2 days after i bought it. First the right cv axle and rigt after i replaced it, the left one went out. There is also a bad oil leak that i cant figure out where it is coming from. I also hear a whining noise when i turn my steering wheel to the left.. This car has just been a nightmare after just three weeks of owning it.

Best Car I have had!
By Zablan on 06/01/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is easily the best car I have had and continue to have. It is extremely reliable considering I do push the car hard and never service it more than once a year/ It now has over 285000 miles on the clock and still runs perfect. I also have a Audi A4 (2007) and daughter has a BMW 530 (2006), its definitely a better car than these and a bargain on fuel consumption, maintenance and insurance. The only problem I have is the velvour interior attracts dust and looks out of date now and the build design is boring. But if your not worried about its looks then this is probably the best car in the world. Note its popular with cabbies hence must be reliable and cheap to run.

It's a shame
By Steve C. on 02/11/09 08:57 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

It let me down. I've maintained this car well. Babied it, in fact. Did all of the proper fluid changes, including brake and coolant flushes, rotated tires, etc. But it still began to require expensive repairs around 70,000 miles. Brake pads only lasted around 30K. The exterior and interior held up well. The leather seats are soft and durable without much care and conditioning. The car handles great, does good in the snow, but oil leaks and coolant problems ruined an otherwise great experience. I would've kept buying VW products if they could just hold together to 100,000 miles without expensive repairs. Sadly, they can't. Nice car, just don't keep it much past the warranty.

Do your research before buying!
By Nick on 01/20/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have to say I was pretty disappointed with this car. It caught my eye right away with its European design characteristics, but I have found that this is one of only a few highlights of driving this car. My Passat has been plagued with electrical problems, from a finicky headlight control switch to internal shorts in the heated seat switches that drain the battery, both which have high repair costs due to diagnostics and labor. Also have had 4 O2 sensors go out, with the replacement parts alone costing $160+. Have also had issues with coolant temp sensors and problems with front end alignment, not too mention a couple rounds of recalls. I really expected more from German engineering.

Lots of problems with this one
By airclowns on 11/21/08 05:59 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Driving this car is exciting and fun. However, maintenance and reliability are a great disappointment. Replacing the transmission at approx. 75,000 miles was not cheap. Servicing is difficult, replacing a thermostat sits way in the back of the engine, requiring lots of dis-assembly. There is an oil leak that has been there for years, it will cost me several thousand $ in labor to fix. 2 power windows just fell into the doors at approx 150,000 miles. It cost me $450 to fix them outside of dealership- parts are expensive and you have to be a technician to get the door panel off. Typical German car, you need special tools to do anything, including removing tires.