2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Caution Germans don't do Electronics
By Gene on 03/17/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Over $6000 in repairs, thank goodness I bought an extended warranty. Mostly electronic, including power seat, heated seat, heated seat control, dash instruments, check engine light, climate control temp electronics, cv boots, leaking camshaft seal. Would buy again if it came with a 100K warranty, otherwise forget it. Really a shame because it looks good, rides good, handles good, has plenty of power.

Love this car
By Brentkate on 02/12/08 16:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned three Volkswagens and loved all of them. The Passat wagon is fun to drive, great on long trips and comfortable for our family of four day to day, not to mention it looks great. It has been in the shop several for various things such as the brake sensors going out, replacing tie-rod ends and cracked oil pan. It developed the typical oil leaks around 80,000 miles and sometimes we still get a whif of oil smell well after it was repaired. It is great to drive and easy to maintain. Find a mechanic who knows Passats inside and out, they have helped us anticipate several things before they became costly. There have been some issues, but I would by another one tomorrow

Sludge
By ugh on 12/08/07 19:01 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car until the sludge set in. The dealer indicates that there is sludge ruining the engine of this car (and thousands of others like it). It is outrageous that VW will not remedy this problem. It is clearly a design flaw that is costing VW customers thousands of dollars. Also, I have had to replace the O2 sensor several times.

Best all round car I've ever owned
By allen on 08/06/07 15:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 Passat GLS 1.8T wagon, 5 speed. A few mods, VW sport springs, wider wheels and tires, rear sway bar. To my surprise this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Almost 70,000 miles, driven pretty hard by several people. No major problems yet and only a handful of minor ones. All fixed at home. Changed the oil religiously with Mobil 1 synthetic, upgraded brake rotors and pads. Great car. Just got lucky I guess.

Great used Value
By 2LtRyan on 03/27/07 13:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The car drives extremely well. You are basically buying an Audi A6 Quattro, with less to fix. The car handles and stops amazingly well. Instrumentation is great, the cup holders stink and that is fixed in later models. Fit and finish is excellent. The V6 is much better than the 4cyl - less problems. Car runs and looks like new - now I have 160,000 miles! Oil leaks and the cost of parts is a bugger, but if you are religious with the maint enance schedule you shouldn't have any issues. Amazing value for the money. More bells and whistles than other cars for way less.

Save Yourself a Headache
By Lemon Gurl on 03/13/07 14:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Please save yourself a headache and a lot of money. I have had a 2001 VW Passat for almost six years. This car has to be the most poorly made, overpriced, unreliable car that I have ever owned. Everything is ridiculous - you spend so much money just to own the car, then (starting at 20,000 miles) I was having problems with the vehicle. Every dealership I have dealt with was NOT customer helpful, didn't care about the buyer, and VW does everything it can to rip off it's owner's. Get something more reliable with your money! STAY AWAY from Volkswagen!

Not Perfect, but Still Going Strong!
By Elly on 12/10/06 19:52 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My Passat 4Motion is a "mystery wrapped in an enigma" when it comes to the panels and sensors. However, I've had the (used) car for three years now, and aside from a few electrical issues, it's been pretty reliable. And I love the combination of driving pleasure and practicality. The engine is still quite peppy, it handles very well and has a great turning radius. It was more comfortable than any other midsize wagon/small SUV I test-drove, and can carry everything from a 9 ft. long 2x4, to three kids in car seats, to a fully constructed hutch from Ikea. As a mother, investment property owner, and part-time teacher, I'm very happy with my all-purpose wagon.

67,000 Miles and Needs a NEW ENGINE?! Save Your Money
By never again VW on 11/16/06 12:07 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our Passat new, have always taken care of it, and up until recently we enjoyed it. Taking it into the shop this last time we JUST now found that out there is an OIL SLUDGE issue (which they have KNOWN about but didn't tell consumers!!) - to the tune of $1,500 to "maybe" fix the problem?!! If that doesn't work than they're saying it needs a new ENGINE for $8,500! The car is STILL under warranty, but VW won't cover the repairs because we don't have all our receipts for oil changes! Talk about undermining on the edge of criminal. I will NEVER again buy a Volkswagen again! I guess folks are right : buy a Honda or Toyota and you won't get screwed!

2001 Passat Still Drives Great.
By Hope Garrett on 11/08/06 09:46 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this car for more than six years now. It has been so reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. It's a great car and always fit everything I tried to cram into it. The only problem is that it's hard to fit three booster seats in the back and impossible to fit three car seats.

Just the Facts
By Descartes on 08/03/06 09:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

On July 10, 2006, I took my 2001 Volkswagon Passat wagon to the dealer for a safety recall replacement of of an item related to the right rear wheel. I had called one week earlier to make an appointment, however after showing up, they said that they did not have the part. Today (8/3/06), the same thing happened again! I had even called the day before to confirm that the part was in and that they could do the replacement! Other problems include: 1) a drive train axle broke 18 months after the purchase, 2) none of the cup holders work (they broke off or are stuck closed) and 3) I had to glue the glove compartment shut after months of trying to fix it.