Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Love/hate relationship with this $-pit
By Jeanne

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything aesthetically and performance-wise about this car. But I HATE the repair bills. Last year it cost me $4K in total repairs, and more this year. I've always been good about oil changes and general maintenance, but man o man it got expensive after 100K miles. Tie rods, ball joints, brakes, O2 sensors (and there are a lot of them), catalytic converter. Engine light NEVER goes off. Now it won't pass inspection without $1800 more in repairs and I'd rather spend money on a newer car than old, so I'm saying good bye (and sadly, good riddance) to the first car I ever truly loved. Must say I'm getting a decent trade in allowance from a VW dealer. No one else wants to touch it!

leather, sun roof, temp. controls, cool dash, great paint looks new after 120K miles! Love the roomy cargo space, roof rack, great sound. Nice car for long road trips. Love everything about its looks and performance.

Not much you can do to improve a 2001 model at this point. My biggest disappointments: it seems impossible to fix for the long term. I wanted this car to last for years more, and it can't without repairs that just cost too much, so I have to trade it in. I will miss so much about this car.

Money pit
By learnedmylesson

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first "new" car. Had been driving a 93 Buick LeSabre with 100k+ miles that never gave me a problem. Bought the wagon in May '07 for $10,900 w/ 62k miles and spent $4,815.04 in 2008 on repairs ($391 so far in '09). I've lost track of all the issues I've had. Every time I go to the mechanic I ask "what am I doing wrong" the answer is always "it's not you it's the car, it's a VW." To name a few: Catalytic converter, 3 recalls, front pipe leak, and after a day of heavy rain the electrical unit died.

Heated seats are lovely and the car is comfortable.

If you want to spend $92/hr in labor alone on a vehicle that has 'issues' every other month then by all means buy a VW.

Dependable Winter Car with handles.
By TDotten

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned the car for about 8 months, but I absolutely love it. I bought the car from a guy who was meticulous in his maintenance and it has been extremely reliable. The guy also upgraded the suspension with Kuni springs and Eibach struts (plus UHP tires), so it handles ridiculously well. It is more fun to drive than any car I have ever owned and it's a station wagon! We also have a 100 Lb lab/Great dane, and he fits well in the back due to the largest trunk in it's class. I couldn't be happier with the car and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

With the upgraded suspension and tires, I would have to say the drive in general. It also handles very well in the snow with snow tries.

The cup holder in the back seat is an absolute joke, why even have one? The one in the front isn't great either but functions well enough.

Avoid VW 4cyl. Turbo Engine
By Michael

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine poor. Once motor reached 100 miles, motor needed constant repair. Have spent over $3k on major engine repair. The wagon was intended for family with two children, but has proven to be very unreliable. Wife, toddler and infant have been towed several times from side of freeway. Mechanically, the engine is poor and unreliable, asked master mechanic "Would you drive this car?", he answered, "Me? No. The motor is no good, we see 'em all the time".

Lotta luxury for little money
By Jolene

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used as my primary vehicle. I haul a lot of furniture in my business and wanted the roomy rear section without going for an SUV. It filled the bill more than perfectly. I love the handling, German-engineering, and roomy, comfortable leather seats. We always take this car on road trips and enjoy the luxury and comfort. I have had absolutely no problems with this gem!

handling, leather interior, sun roof, CD player

None!