2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst car ever!
By tina on 08/09/10 14:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but a major headache. I bought it brand new and within 3 weeks the alternator died and had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so I didn't think much about it. The last 4 years I have spent more on repairs then the car is worth and now the catalytic converters are about to go. Last time I went to my mechanic everyone else waiting for their car owned a 2001 passat and we all shared our horror stories. Recently the drains for the sunroof leaked into the car flooding the electronic brain. Another $2,000 repair. I will never own another VW.

Love-hate relationship
By glxauto on 03/04/10 21:07 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I chose the Passat wagon over the A6 wagon, because the Passat's ride is superior and it has more interior space. In an attempt to protect myself against the VW's poor reliability reputation, I bought a certified pre-owned Passat *and* an extended warranty. Looking back, that was a smart move. However, now that all the warranties have expired, the Passat is breaking down with a vengeance. Every visit to the mechanic costs an arm and a leg, with the most recent visit (alternator + battery) costing me $1500! And it is only March! I am sad the Passat and I have to part ways now, because it is truly a safe and comfortable car. But I love my wallet more.

144,000 miles and counting
By txsaggie1 on 11/25/09 18:48 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car as it looks cool inside and outdoor with super comfy seats. Overall, I have been pleased and I plan on driving it until it dies. Get the V6 engine! Much more reliable than V4. (I've also never used Premium gas. 87 octane works fine.) Interior and exterior has worn well. Seats are comfy. Ride is quite and comfortable. Paint looks great. But I've had electrical issues similar to others: Headlights burn out often, dashboard and panel lights go out. Repairs are expensive, and some maintenance can only be done at dealerships. If you are buying a used one, make sure you are aware of the VW timing belt/water pump replacement at 105,000 mile-- it's $1300.

Not worth it.
By John on 08/12/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my used Passat for less than a year. I bought it with 70k miles, and it currently has 85k. In that time I spent $4000 maintaining this car. Engine leaks from everywhere, bad coils, and some preventative maintenance changing the timing belt and water pump. There are still issues with it I simply can't afford to fix. I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted a reliable car. This wasn't the right choice.

Never again
By Tang on 06/20/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was brought brand new, driven with great care, never been in accident, oil changed every 4000-5000 miles. But it died twice and had to be towed in 3 years, same problem - the secondary air pump filled with water! The drive train was covered 100K / 10 years, but that pump was part of the "emission system" so I had to pay $750 each time to have that fixed. The second time it happened I traded it in for a new Toyota 2 days later and never will walk into a VW dealer again.

Love/hate relationship with this $-pit
By Jeanne on 04/20/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything aesthetically and performance-wise about this car. But I HATE the repair bills. Last year it cost me $4K in total repairs, and more this year. I've always been good about oil changes and general maintenance, but man o man it got expensive after 100K miles. Tie rods, ball joints, brakes, O2 sensors (and there are a lot of them), catalytic converter. Engine light NEVER goes off. Now it won't pass inspection without $1800 more in repairs and I'd rather spend money on a newer car than old, so I'm saying good bye (and sadly, good riddance) to the first car I ever truly loved. Must say I'm getting a decent trade in allowance from a VW dealer. No one else wants to touch it!

Money pit
By learnedmylesson on 02/09/09 09:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first "new" car. Had been driving a 93 Buick LeSabre with 100k+ miles that never gave me a problem. Bought the wagon in May '07 for $10,900 w/ 62k miles and spent $4,815.04 in 2008 on repairs ($391 so far in '09). I've lost track of all the issues I've had. Every time I go to the mechanic I ask "what am I doing wrong" the answer is always "it's not you it's the car, it's a VW." To name a few: Catalytic converter, 3 recalls, front pipe leak, and after a day of heavy rain the electrical unit died.

Dependable Winter Car with handles.
By TDotten on 12/02/08 10:59 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned the car for about 8 months, but I absolutely love it. I bought the car from a guy who was meticulous in his maintenance and it has been extremely reliable. The guy also upgraded the suspension with Kuni springs and Eibach struts (plus UHP tires), so it handles ridiculously well. It is more fun to drive than any car I have ever owned and it's a station wagon! We also have a 100 Lb lab/Great dane, and he fits well in the back due to the largest trunk in it's class. I couldn't be happier with the car and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Avoid VW 4cyl. Turbo Engine
By Michael on 10/03/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine poor. Once motor reached 100 miles, motor needed constant repair. Have spent over $3k on major engine repair. The wagon was intended for family with two children, but has proven to be very unreliable. Wife, toddler and infant have been towed several times from side of freeway. Mechanically, the engine is poor and unreliable, asked master mechanic "Would you drive this car?", he answered, "Me? No. The motor is no good, we see 'em all the time".

Lotta luxury for little money
By Jolene on 07/31/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used as my primary vehicle. I haul a lot of furniture in my business and wanted the roomy rear section without going for an SUV. It filled the bill more than perfectly. I love the handling, German-engineering, and roomy, comfortable leather seats. We always take this car on road trips and enjoy the luxury and comfort. I have had absolutely no problems with this gem!

1 2 3 4 5 next »