Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

The Audi A4 of VW's
By James Monro

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It drives, smell, looks like its Audi A4 cousin, and just as expensive to run and maintain. It is a great running car, with very good handling characteristics, it has an absolute classic style that I think will never get old. The interior although nice, is made of very poor quality. At the expensive of soft touch and expensive looking coverings, all of that starts to degrade, crack and rub off over time. There are rattles and squeaks happening that I notice does not happen on other cars of this year. The car has great gas mileage, but then its off set by the 1.8 T requires premium gas. It has great space for 5 and loads of head room. It's a great European car if it wasn't for the unreliability, cost of ownership, and expensive fill-ups. You could literally spend $1500 dollars on this car one month and in two months have another bill for 2K. I've had my VW experience so this will probably be the last VW product I purchase, and there is more to life than spending money on fixing a car..lol I rather bite the bullet and buy a Honda.

Worst car ever!
By tina

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but a major headache. I bought it brand new and within 3 weeks the alternator died and had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so I didn't think much about it. The last 4 years I have spent more on repairs then the car is worth and now the catalytic converters are about to go. Last time I went to my mechanic everyone else waiting for their car owned a 2001 passat and we all shared our horror stories. Recently the drains for the sunroof leaked into the car flooding the electronic brain. Another $2,000 repair. I will never own another VW.

It's a comfortable tank

electrical, sun roof, catalytic converters, everything.

Love-hate relationship
By glxauto

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I chose the Passat wagon over the A6 wagon, because the Passat's ride is superior and it has more interior space. In an attempt to protect myself against the VW's poor reliability reputation, I bought a certified pre-owned Passat *and* an extended warranty. Looking back, that was a smart move. However, now that all the warranties have expired, the Passat is breaking down with a vengeance. Every visit to the mechanic costs an arm and a leg, with the most recent visit (alternator + battery) costing me $1500! And it is only March! I am sad the Passat and I have to part ways now, because it is truly a safe and comfortable car. But I love my wallet more.

Great ride, roomy and comfortable.

Find a way to keep the oil in the engine.

144,000 miles and counting
By txsaggie1

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car as it looks cool inside and outdoor with super comfy seats. Overall, I have been pleased and I plan on driving it until it dies. Get the V6 engine! Much more reliable than V4. (I've also never used Premium gas. 87 octane works fine.) Interior and exterior has worn well. Seats are comfy. Ride is quite and comfortable. Paint looks great. But I've had electrical issues similar to others: Headlights burn out often, dashboard and panel lights go out. Repairs are expensive, and some maintenance can only be done at dealerships. If you are buying a used one, make sure you are aware of the VW timing belt/water pump replacement at 105,000 mile-- it's $1300.

Looks, Manual trans is great. Interior fit and finish.

Electrical issues. Expensive repairs.

Not worth it.
By John

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my used Passat for less than a year. I bought it with 70k miles, and it currently has 85k. In that time I spent $4000 maintaining this car. Engine leaks from everywhere, bad coils, and some preventative maintenance changing the timing belt and water pump. There are still issues with it I simply can't afford to fix. I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted a reliable car. This wasn't the right choice.

Drives well when there's nothing wrong with it.

The interior was really poorly designed, and cheaply made. There seems to be no end to what can go wrong with the engine, and even minor issues are extremely expensive to fix.