Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4Motion Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Steal of a car! Audi in VW clothing...
By wario

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 01 Passat GLX 4Motion this past January and LOVE IT! What a solid car, even with 110000 on it. We purchased it from a reputable dealer who inspected it and serviced it before we bought it. They replaced the belt, water pump, and brakes... the car needed nothing else! It's a dream to drive in all weather. Looking forward to putting the next 150k on it!

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive is awesome, the Monsoon stereo rocks, and the car is just solid and great looking!

Suggested Improvements

MP3 input for the stereo, loose the ashtray and make more storage around the radio, and squeeze a few more MPG out of it.

Do your research before buying!
By Nick

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have to say I was pretty disappointed with this car. It caught my eye right away with its European design characteristics, but I have found that this is one of only a few highlights of driving this car. My Passat has been plagued with electrical problems, from a finicky headlight control switch to internal shorts in the heated seat switches that drain the battery, both which have high repair costs due to diagnostics and labor. Also have had 4 O2 sensors go out, with the replacement parts alone costing $160+. Have also had issues with coolant temp sensors and problems with front end alignment, not too mention a couple rounds of recalls. I really expected more from German engineering.

Favorite Features

A very fun car to drive, especially when you throw it into Tiptronic manual mode and let the ponies run. I also really enjoy the AWD feature for getting around in the Minnesota winters, handles great in adverse road conditions. Sharp interior and the blue light up display in the dash looks nice!

Suggested Improvements

Seems to be way too many common problems found in the Passat. I'm not sure if these bugs have been worked out in the newer models, but I suggest doing your homework if you plan on buying an '04 model or earlier.

Passat - A Good Vehicle
By Paul

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first sports sedan and after four years of owership, I consider the Passatto be a very good choice. The car performs well in all weather conditions in upstate NY and is fun to drive. Its reliability has been significantly better than the new GM vehicles I have purchased in the past. With more hp and the value of a VW (vs. BMW, Volvo, etc.), I would strongly consider buying another the next time I buy.

Used, but new to me...
By Rob

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2001.5 Passat V6 4Motion on April Fools day and so far I am impressed. The vehicle has 69,000 miles on it and runs perfectly. When sitting in the vehicle I can't help but think I'm in a BMW (ahhh the memories). Interior styling as well as exterior make me feel like I'm in a much more expensive car, not that the original sticker price was by any means cheap. Coming from a truck that I've driven for the past two years this car can do nothing but spoil me and impress.

Favorite Features

Everything...

Suggested Improvements

More armrest storage, an extra powerpoint in the armrest or on the dash, fold down rear seats in the 4Motion GLX