Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I will never buy a vw again
By No More VWs

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car at around 18,000 miles and had no problems until 50,000 - right after it was no longer under warranty. Since, I have had the back breaks replaced three times in four years while barely driving it, the front breaks replaced, the rotors replaced, four oil leaks in 6 months, couple coolant leaks, broken keys, seat belt doesn't retract, lights in dashboard starting to fade, two different belts replaced, the whole thing groans when I get into the car, wheels squeak... I am at the mechanics so often they give me a hug when they see me! I'm sure there were more repairs but I've lost track. Bought this car bc of great reputation but too many friends have since had VW lemons. Never again.

Favorite Features

its a good looking car. that's it.

Suggested Improvements

change everything to be reliable except the design!

"Terrible Car"
By "please run away"

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car used with 125000 miles on it.The troubles started 2 days after i bought it. First the right cv axle and rigt after i replaced it, the left one went out. There is also a bad oil leak that i cant figure out where it is coming from. I also hear a whining noise when i turn my steering wheel to the left.. This car has just been a nightmare after just three weeks of owning it.

Favorite Features

the looks

Suggested Improvements

everything apart from the looks

Lots of problems with this one
By airclowns

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Driving this car is exciting and fun. However, maintenance and reliability are a great disappointment. Replacing the transmission at approx. 75,000 miles was not cheap. Servicing is difficult, replacing a thermostat sits way in the back of the engine, requiring lots of dis-assembly. There is an oil leak that has been there for years, it will cost me several thousand $ in labor to fix. 2 power windows just fell into the doors at approx 150,000 miles. It cost me $450 to fix them outside of dealership- parts are expensive and you have to be a technician to get the door panel off. Typical German car, you need special tools to do anything, including removing tires.

Favorite Features

Monsoon Stereo is awesome, seats are comfortable, quiet interior, this drives like a more expensive car than it is.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability was a big disappointment, and I will steer clear of VW from hereon out, unfortunately.

Don't go near this car!
By stayaway

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Stay away from this car, unless you’re OK spending thousands of $ on repairs. Unreliable, constant repairs. VW Service Center unable to appropriately diagnose. $1OO each visit for them to even diagnose - never fixed. From check engine warning light to cracked hoses, leaks throughout the history of the car. A Lemon. Worst all around car experience from purchase.

Favorite Features

Great sound system and styling.

Suggested Improvements

VW Corp should work more closely with VW dealerships/mechanics to review repetitive, chronic problems. VW Corp should provide assistance to consumers with these repetitive issues.

All around best vehicle
By jw

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Passat brand new 7.5 years ago (51K miles) and I have never had an issue with the car! Love the interior (except cup holder) and exterior.

Favorite Features

roomy, easy to drive, love my heated seats and stereo, memory seat setting and plenty of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder