2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
I will never buy a vw again
By No More VWs on 02/04/10 17:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car at around 18,000 miles and had no problems until 50,000 - right after it was no longer under warranty. Since, I have had the back breaks replaced three times in four years while barely driving it, the front breaks replaced, the rotors replaced, four oil leaks in 6 months, couple coolant leaks, broken keys, seat belt doesn't retract, lights in dashboard starting to fade, two different belts replaced, the whole thing groans when I get into the car, wheels squeak... I am at the mechanics so often they give me a hug when they see me! I'm sure there were more repairs but I've lost track. Bought this car bc of great reputation but too many friends have since had VW lemons. Never again.

"Terrible Car"
By "please run away" on 06/22/09 05:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car used with 125000 miles on it.The troubles started 2 days after i bought it. First the right cv axle and rigt after i replaced it, the left one went out. There is also a bad oil leak that i cant figure out where it is coming from. I also hear a whining noise when i turn my steering wheel to the left.. This car has just been a nightmare after just three weeks of owning it.

Lots of problems with this one
By airclowns on 11/21/08 05:59 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Driving this car is exciting and fun. However, maintenance and reliability are a great disappointment. Replacing the transmission at approx. 75,000 miles was not cheap. Servicing is difficult, replacing a thermostat sits way in the back of the engine, requiring lots of dis-assembly. There is an oil leak that has been there for years, it will cost me several thousand $ in labor to fix. 2 power windows just fell into the doors at approx 150,000 miles. It cost me $450 to fix them outside of dealership- parts are expensive and you have to be a technician to get the door panel off. Typical German car, you need special tools to do anything, including removing tires.

Don't go near this car!
By stayaway on 05/31/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Stay away from this car, unless you’re OK spending thousands of $ on repairs. Unreliable, constant repairs. VW Service Center unable to appropriately diagnose. $1OO each visit for them to even diagnose - never fixed. From check engine warning light to cracked hoses, leaks throughout the history of the car. A Lemon. Worst all around car experience from purchase.

All around best vehicle
By jw on 02/23/08 20:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Passat brand new 7.5 years ago (51K miles) and I have never had an issue with the car! Love the interior (except cup holder) and exterior.

would buy again
By js on 01/27/05 17:53 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint is quality of the leather. Looks great everywhere except driver's seat, weathers too quickly, but gets used 90% more than others.

Passat: An Enthusiast's (Family) Car
By Doug on 12/21/04 18:30 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Great car to drive. Very comfortable and powerful on the highway. V6 is the way to go. The leather seats are the most comfortable I've ever had. Handling is better than several sports cars I've had. Monsoon sound system is a real blast -- best I've owned. Not too much bad things to say about this car.

A Drivers Perspective
By D. F. on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

DRIVERS WANTED. Well they got one here and THIS IS MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT with my 2001.5 Passat. It has a more than occasional acceleration hesitation problem and may hesitate then lurch forward uncomfortably when moving from a stop or slow start. Especially noticeable when leaving intersections to merge in with traffic. Not sure if this is a design flaw in the transmission or what. VW Mechanics are clueless to the cause/fix. DRIVERS SHOULD HAVE THE ACCELERATION POWER AVAILABLE WHEN NEEDED vice BEING LEFT OUT THERE HANGING. I have also had problems with oil leaks on the cam seals approx. every 45000 miles, and electronic problems. Overall a solid car to own.

VW FANATIC
By abdul nasir on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

ANYONE INTERESTED IN MID SIZE SEDAN PASSAT IS YOUR BEST CHOICE.

my car
By Joel on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

a wonderful car, drives very smooth and is extremely reliable. looks like a spaceship at night with state of the art purple and red interior lighting. a pure pleasure to drive