Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Fun car with spendy repairs
By Lily

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a super fun and safe car. Lots of go, easy to manage, just all around a bad ass car. When it's not broken down. Mine had problem after problem. The transmission finally gave out at 172,000 and with that being 5,000 to replace plus $1000 for a catalytic converter and $1500 for a timing belt we sold it for scraps and got a reliable Honda. Fun to drive but hard on your wallet

Reliable
By mindofclay

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. It's such a gem of a car. If you simply take care of it, change the oil (full synthetic) every 3,000 miles (it does gum up fast in this car, unfortunately. Just don't go over 3,000 without changing it), put premium gas in it, and generally just take care of it and it will last you forever. I bought mine at 171,000 miles from an owner who took great care of it and it drives like it's brand new!
Yes, repairing a VW is generally more expensive, but you get what you pay for and you fix it far less often. I'm confident I will take this car to 250,000 miles easily. It is so reliable. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to recommend this vehicle to anyone!

responsiveness, turbo, ease of drivability, roomy

more comfortable seats (I often take 6 hour trips in this car... after about 4.5 hours, it starts to get a bit uncomfortable.)

Great car
By realmathilda

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a 2001 Passat with over 211,000 miles on it and I will keep it for another 211,000. This is a great car, no problems German engineering is terrific. I take care of my cars. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and all I can say is this. When people write in all caps with exclamation points they are usually crazy drama queens and
flying off the handle is common place for them. They are led around like puppies by their emotions or they are young kids that don't understand many things about life but believe they know it all. They haven't come to the age of understanding what real problems are and everything is a major inconvenience because they lack the patience to endure.

Very roomy interior, the heated seats are very nice. They come with a lot of standard features. Drives great on the highway, great gas mileage. I drive 45 miles one way to work. They make the Passat with AWD, it's called 4motion, I don't have it but would consider on my next one. They also make these in diesels, they are very quiet and get 40mpg, another thing to consider for next time. They are not expensive to own, brand new they are $20,000 to $27,000.

I have an older model so I'm sure this has been addressed but the two cup holders are not enough and very sub par. Maintenance is way too expensive at the dealership, just because it's German. Yes maintenance at any dealer is expensive but this is very excessive. Doing the work yourself can be complicated the first time.

Crappy car
By otwersky

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car drives great! BUT.. Things keep breaking due to poor quality parts!!! For instance, I was forced to replace two window regulators that broke in half although one window was never used... the regulator just broke for no reason... And for that reason, I will never purchase another VW. Their parts are either cheap, badly made or don't fit. If the car was well built, it would be a gem.. Thanks to the **** parts, VWs are ****!!

Get a car with well-made parts. You will be spending way too much replacing the **** parts on this car!

Good when it works
By Colin

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Puchased 1/08 w/ 79k & it now has 140k. I bought it randomly at a car auction and loved it for the first 20k. From then on I have spent $2k on stuff breaking and $1k on routine maintenance like the timing belt. From 100k to 130k I have replaced a lot of sensors, tie rod ends, bearings etc.... I've gotten 10k trouble free miles since then, yeah! With this car you have to be vigilant about oil changes and don't skimp. It is a great highway cruiser and I average 30mpg. The drivers seat is still firm and most of the interior is holding up except for some paint peeling. All in all it's an ok car, the reliability is the deal breaker for me. I'll be buying a Japanese car next.

Handling, utility (big trunk), gas mileage, build quality of the body, comfortness, good in the snow.

Improve drive train reliability, parts are expensive too. The car left me stranded once when the engine speed sensor failed and had to be towed and fixed. If you're looking for an economy car look else where as this car is not. Synthetic oil, premium gas, pricey parts & labor, many problems