2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Reliable
By mindofclay on 07/20/12 00:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. It's such a gem of a car. If you simply take care of it, change the oil (full synthetic) every 3,000 miles (it does gum up fast in this car, unfortunately. Just don't go over 3,000 without changing it), put premium gas in it, and generally just take care of it and it will last you forever. I bought mine at 171,000 miles from an owner who took great care of it and it drives like it's brand new! Yes, repairing a VW is generally more expensive, but you get what you pay for and you fix it far less often. I'm confident I will take this car to 250,000 miles easily. It is so reliable. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to recommend this vehicle to anyone!

Great car
By realmathilda on 12/29/11 09:55 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a 2001 Passat with over 211,000 miles on it and I will keep it for another 211,000. This is a great car, no problems German engineering is terrific. I take care of my cars. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and all I can say is this. When people write in all caps with exclamation points they are usually crazy drama queens and flying off the handle is common place for them. They are led around like puppies by their emotions or they are young kids that don't understand many things about life but believe they know it all. They haven't come to the age of understanding what real problems are and everything is a major inconvenience because they lack the patience to endure.

Crappy car
By otwersky on 08/29/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car drives great! BUT.. Things keep breaking due to poor quality parts!!! For instance, I was forced to replace two window regulators that broke in half although one window was never used... the regulator just broke for no reason... And for that reason, I will never purchase another VW. Their parts are either cheap, badly made or don't fit. If the car was well built, it would be a gem.. Thanks to the **** parts, VWs are ****!!

Good when it works
By Colin on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Puchased 1/08 w/ 79k & it now has 140k. I bought it randomly at a car auction and loved it for the first 20k. From then on I have spent $2k on stuff breaking and $1k on routine maintenance like the timing belt. From 100k to 130k I have replaced a lot of sensors, tie rod ends, bearings etc.... I've gotten 10k trouble free miles since then, yeah! With this car you have to be vigilant about oil changes and don't skimp. It is a great highway cruiser and I average 30mpg. The drivers seat is still firm and most of the interior is holding up except for some paint peeling. All in all it's an ok car, the reliability is the deal breaker for me. I'll be buying a Japanese car next.

Love this car
By JKeiser on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car in 2003, only a couple years old and already had 66k on the odometer. 7 years and 120k later, this car is starting to show its age, but it's still quick, agile, and very comfortable. even at over 180k, the engine feels great. like any german car, it requires a little more tlc. change the timing belt when you're supposed to, and don't freak out everytime the check engine light comes on. i may have just gotten a good one, but the only major repairs i've had have been in the last 30k miles or so. ABS controller, tie rods, shocks. like most cars at its age, it's becoming to expensive to maintain, so i'll be trading it in. i guarantee i will cry, this has been a great car.

Piece of Saat
By dave on 08/31/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you love emptying your wallet, buy one today! Timing belt busted at 72K miles doing 20 mph, caused $2500 in damage. Class action suit only included 2000 yr model. Now at 99K, been in the shop 7X this year. Airbag fault code, ball joints, brakes, trunk lock failure, intermittent power lock issues, A/C probs, oil leaks, etc, etc.. Stay very far away from this early 2000 models, they are indeed a Piece of Saat!

THE WORST LEMON EVER
By DOWNONVW on 08/16/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 4 years old and I can't remember the exact amount of miles then, it has about 110,000 now. Everything that could go wrong went wrong luckily I had an extended warranty. I always loved VWs but this car has turned me off to them completely. From now on I'm sticking with Toyotas or Subarus.

What a Nightmare
By A nightmare on 07/27/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

everything that has happened to all the reviews posted here has happened to ours. the engine finally gave out leaving my daughter stranded with two kids while the son is in Iraq. this has been the worst car i have ever bought in 30 years. The Worst!!!! they really need to do a recall on the whole car. thanks for nothing VW

fun to drive pain to fix
By carmom22 on 07/01/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love driving this car. It is stylish sporty for a sedan. Great leather interior. it is SO comfortable. However this car is haunted by electrical problems in the dashboard for many years.

Best Car I have had!
By Zablan on 06/01/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is easily the best car I have had and continue to have. It is extremely reliable considering I do push the car hard and never service it more than once a year/ It now has over 285000 miles on the clock and still runs perfect. I also have a Audi A4 (2007) and daughter has a BMW 530 (2006), its definitely a better car than these and a bargain on fuel consumption, maintenance and insurance. The only problem I have is the velvour interior attracts dust and looks out of date now and the build design is boring. But if your not worried about its looks then this is probably the best car in the world. Note its popular with cabbies hence must be reliable and cheap to run.

1 2 3 4 5 next »