Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Worst car ever!
By tina

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but a major headache. I bought it brand new and within 3 weeks the alternator died and had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so I didn't think much about it. The last 4 years I have spent more on repairs then the car is worth and now the catalytic converters are about to go. Last time I went to my mechanic everyone else waiting for their car owned a 2001 passat and we all shared our horror stories. Recently the drains for the sunroof leaked into the car flooding the electronic brain. Another $2,000 repair. I will never own another VW.

Favorite Features

It's a comfortable tank

Suggested Improvements

electrical, sun roof, catalytic converters, everything.

Dependable Winter Car with handles.
By TDotten

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned the car for about 8 months, but I absolutely love it. I bought the car from a guy who was meticulous in his maintenance and it has been extremely reliable. The guy also upgraded the suspension with Kuni springs and Eibach struts (plus UHP tires), so it handles ridiculously well. It is more fun to drive than any car I have ever owned and it's a station wagon! We also have a 100 Lb lab/Great dane, and he fits well in the back due to the largest trunk in it's class. I couldn't be happier with the car and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

With the upgraded suspension and tires, I would have to say the drive in general. It also handles very well in the snow with snow tries.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in the back seat is an absolute joke, why even have one? The one in the front isn't great either but functions well enough.

Passat Sedan
By PassatOwnerDavid

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to drive. But not reliable. Very difficult to deal with dealer. Customer service are not too helpful. Repair can be very frustrating.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to train their dealership better. Also the customer service's quality will make a big difference in the satisfaction. Otherwise, VW will get hurt themselves.