2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Steal of a car! Audi in VW clothing...
By wario on 02/01/10 17:22 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 01 Passat GLX 4Motion this past January and LOVE IT! What a solid car, even with 110000 on it. We purchased it from a reputable dealer who inspected it and serviced it before we bought it. They replaced the belt, water pump, and brakes... the car needed nothing else! It's a dream to drive in all weather. Looking forward to putting the next 150k on it!

Do your research before buying!
By Nick on 01/20/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have to say I was pretty disappointed with this car. It caught my eye right away with its European design characteristics, but I have found that this is one of only a few highlights of driving this car. My Passat has been plagued with electrical problems, from a finicky headlight control switch to internal shorts in the heated seat switches that drain the battery, both which have high repair costs due to diagnostics and labor. Also have had 4 O2 sensors go out, with the replacement parts alone costing $160+. Have also had issues with coolant temp sensors and problems with front end alignment, not too mention a couple rounds of recalls. I really expected more from German engineering.

Passat - A Good Vehicle
By Paul on 08/10/06 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first sports sedan and after four years of owership, I consider the Passatto be a very good choice. The car performs well in all weather conditions in upstate NY and is fun to drive. Its reliability has been significantly better than the new GM vehicles I have purchased in the past. With more hp and the value of a VW (vs. BMW, Volvo, etc.), I would strongly consider buying another the next time I buy.

Used, but new to me...
By Rob on 04/05/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2001.5 Passat V6 4Motion on April Fools day and so far I am impressed. The vehicle has 69,000 miles on it and runs perfectly. When sitting in the vehicle I can't help but think I'm in a BMW (ahhh the memories). Interior styling as well as exterior make me feel like I'm in a much more expensive car, not that the original sticker price was by any means cheap. Coming from a truck that I've driven for the past two years this car can do nothing but spoil me and impress.