2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
looks can be deceiving...
By wvmechanic88 on 09/27/12 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car with 100K mile on it. car looked good. ran fine. the little 1.8 turbo engine really runs good. great handling at high speeds. now for the cons... after about two months the ignition coil packs started going out one by one. have replaced some twice. then its the crank position sensor. then the exhaust. next was the windshield. no dings in it but is just cracked for no ryme or reason. when i first saw the car it was love at first sight but that didnt last long... expensive repairs that never stop.

Reliable
By mindofclay on 07/20/12 00:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. It's such a gem of a car. If you simply take care of it, change the oil (full synthetic) every 3,000 miles (it does gum up fast in this car, unfortunately. Just don't go over 3,000 without changing it), put premium gas in it, and generally just take care of it and it will last you forever. I bought mine at 171,000 miles from an owner who took great care of it and it drives like it's brand new! Yes, repairing a VW is generally more expensive, but you get what you pay for and you fix it far less often. I'm confident I will take this car to 250,000 miles easily. It is so reliable. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to recommend this vehicle to anyone!

Great car
By realmathilda on 12/29/11 09:55 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a 2001 Passat with over 211,000 miles on it and I will keep it for another 211,000. This is a great car, no problems German engineering is terrific. I take care of my cars. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and all I can say is this. When people write in all caps with exclamation points they are usually crazy drama queens and flying off the handle is common place for them. They are led around like puppies by their emotions or they are young kids that don't understand many things about life but believe they know it all. They haven't come to the age of understanding what real problems are and everything is a major inconvenience because they lack the patience to endure.

Crappy car
By otwersky on 08/29/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car drives great! BUT.. Things keep breaking due to poor quality parts!!! For instance, I was forced to replace two window regulators that broke in half although one window was never used... the regulator just broke for no reason... And for that reason, I will never purchase another VW. Their parts are either cheap, badly made or don't fit. If the car was well built, it would be a gem.. Thanks to the **** parts, VWs are ****!!

Great car
By daveba84 on 07/17/11 04:23 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my passat in 2008 with 140,000 miles on it. It was at a used car lot and I liked everything about it. The exterior/interior were in great shape and after the test drive i was sold. I drive 106 round trip miles per day to work so I needed a car that was good on gas and the passat fit the bill. As of today I have over 250,000 miles on the passat and drives like the day I purchased it. I have had to put minor repairs as well as regular scheduled maint. (oil changes,battery,headlight,wiper relay) but you will have this with any car. Do yourself a favor-do not get repairs done at a dealership. With any car they will charge you 3x more then what a good local mechanic would.

Do not buy this car!
By pat124 on 03/05/11 13:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my Passat about a year ago and I honestly say it is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I bought it to replace and aging Dodge Dakota I was driving...which was a much better vehicle. These cars are plagued with all sorts of electrical problems such as interior lights not working, connections breaking in the doors, etc. The side windows have scratch marks from rolling them down...I have to clean out the felt liners about once a month to prevent this. The heater is dismal and can only keep the vehicle warm above 30 degrees. Maintenance is expensive, timing belt cost about $1,000 dollars to replace, and my mechanic says I must use full synthetic oil. Will never another VW.

Leaving is a bitter sweet emotion
By scouserusa on 02/04/11 15:27 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Traded in 1 01 Malibu, for an 01 Passat. I'm from the UK, and driven a new VW Polo..no problems, and loved the build quality. 64K at purchase, and no problems for a year. Then a CEL..which I ignored..found out to be a MAF sensor, then coil ignitor issues(recall), tie end rods, vacuum hoses, oil cooler went at 120K, and had to flush entire system. With premium fuel, expensive oil changes, brakes, annual coolant flushes, the constant worry of a blown head gasket or turbo failure was not far off. Excellent when new, but get sell after 5 years and don't look back. I was on first name terms with all the mechanics at the local garage. Do NOT buy a used Passat, simple advice.

Good when it works
By Colin on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Puchased 1/08 w/ 79k & it now has 140k. I bought it randomly at a car auction and loved it for the first 20k. From then on I have spent $2k on stuff breaking and $1k on routine maintenance like the timing belt. From 100k to 130k I have replaced a lot of sensors, tie rod ends, bearings etc.... I've gotten 10k trouble free miles since then, yeah! With this car you have to be vigilant about oil changes and don't skimp. It is a great highway cruiser and I average 30mpg. The drivers seat is still firm and most of the interior is holding up except for some paint peeling. All in all it's an ok car, the reliability is the deal breaker for me. I'll be buying a Japanese car next.

mixed feelings due to repair costs
By peter on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I love my expennsive car. I hate to pay my repair bills :-) Dont buy it if your friend is not a mechanic ....hahahaha Love to drive! Peter from clearwater

Love this car
By JKeiser on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car in 2003, only a couple years old and already had 66k on the odometer. 7 years and 120k later, this car is starting to show its age, but it's still quick, agile, and very comfortable. even at over 180k, the engine feels great. like any german car, it requires a little more tlc. change the timing belt when you're supposed to, and don't freak out everytime the check engine light comes on. i may have just gotten a good one, but the only major repairs i've had have been in the last 30k miles or so. ABS controller, tie rods, shocks. like most cars at its age, it's becoming to expensive to maintain, so i'll be trading it in. i guarantee i will cry, this has been a great car.