2000 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Glad I'm handy with a wrench

2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2000 Volkswagen Passat

GLX V6 Wagon (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

Glad I'm handy with a wrench
By ns1915 on

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Why I will never buy another VW.
Replaced control arms twice in 80,000 miles.
Bad ABS module, bad CCM, bad ECU, all oxygen sensors have been replaced, engine sludge problem, two bad window regulators, Emissions Workshop Errors all the time.
Every two winters battery needs to be replaced.
Took it to dealer for a check engine and was told I had 2 bad catalytic converters, $2,300.
Had it scanned somewhere else and was told that it does have a catalytic error, but the dealer failed to mention several vacuum leak errors.
I replaced $20 worth of vac hose, problem solved.
Haven't had an error in 10,000 miles, this is a record!!
Replacing the above parts with non OEM has helped a lot.

I like the interior the most, comfy and cool looking with the blue and red dash/control lights. Performance is average, mine is drive by wire so there is a hesitation when accelerating, especially when rolling at about 35 mph waiting to merge onto a highway. Ride is smooth and quiet.

Better engineering, better oem parts, better service. VW corporation doesn't stand behind their products and fix known reoccurring problems, especially with the ABS unit and control arms. I view these as safety issues since the ABS unit also controls the traction control feature and the control arms keep the front wheels pointing the same direction and help steer the car. If you do a little research you will find many 2000 Passat owners, as well as owners for the whole B5 generation of Passats complaining about them, yet no recalls have been issued. The dealer will just keep replacing them with the same junk. If I didn't work on my car myself and use better non-oem parts, I'd be broke.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review