This was a fabulous car
By Cabrilla on
2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon
I bought my Passat wagon used, with about 42K miles on it, as the second owner. It was fun to drive, handled well, and was a pleasure to own for nearly 8 years. For 3 years I drove it on a 140mi commute (RT). It also made several long-distance (1000+ miles RT) road trips every year with no problems. Overall, it was extremely reliable. They had to adjust the mass air sensor the first week I had it. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance, there weren't any issues for 5 years of moderate to very heavy driving. I had to have the head gaskets replaced on the engine at about 130K miles. The ABS braking chip needed replacing at about 150K miles.
Favorite Features
Fit, finish, & quality of interior; heated leather seats; clean, modern exterior styling (received many complements from guys in their early 20's who thought it was awesome - strange but true.); decent MPG for a V6; reliability; fun to drive for a mid-size wagon.
Suggested Improvements
More power, even stiffer suspension. Re-engineer that damn plastic oil pan/engine compartment cover on the bottom of the car. Mine came off 2X during the time I owned it.