2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS V6 4Motion Sedan (2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
I love my passat!
By billkollector on 04/08/08 10:19 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

I love my car. Have no doubts about this car, this is an Audi A4 with VW badging. All repair parts are completely interchangeable with an A4 of the same year. Passats are built in Germany so you know they are built correctly, not like the Jetta's which are built in Mexico. You cannot go wrong with this car. Note for the consumer though, look for the 2.8L V6. The VW turbo's have been known to need replacement after 100k km.

Money Pit
By Never Again on 11/10/06 18:38 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

The check engine / emissions light came on within months of the purchase (new) and hasn't been off for more than two weeks since then...and I've owned the car for five years now. I have put about $7,000 into repairs for this car and still it leaks coolant and can't get the emissions light off. The plastic panel parts were cracked and ugly within months for no reason, the adhesive for the fabric around the windows melted in the AZ heat within two summers, and the plastic peels around the handles and looks really bad. This is with EXCELLENT care and maintenance / hand washing. I won't buy a VW again! And, I don't recommend VW to anyone else, either!

New fan of Volkswagen
By new old owner on 03/23/06 12:00 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my Passat from a lady a few months ago. It is a very nice car. It looks good on the outside and has a killer sound system. All my friends love it, and I can't get enough of my heated seats and sunroof. Before I knew this car, I didn't like VWs, since the Beetle had always annoyed me. Now I am a new VW fan and love my car! The only thing I need to get used to is the low gas mileage (my old car got about 38 mpg). This car is fun to drive and the 4WD makes me feel safe. I tested it on a curve with and without it on, and boy does it make a difference! This car is pretty fast too, especially compared to the Toyota Corolla that I used to own.

Horrible Car - DO NOT BUY ONE!
By Pat on 12/14/05 01:06 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned my Passat since it was new. It has always had regular service performed by the dealer. I have had a slew of problems since the car was three years old (it's a 2000). First, the driver's seat heater went out. The dealer wanted $1,400 to fix it. I needed an entirely new seat - apparently they can't take element out. At 86,000 miles, the check emissions light came on. I needed two new catalytic converters. What kind of car needs two, pray tell? That set me back close to $5,000 for the way overpriced parts. Then little things happened, the Tiptronic won't upshift, for example. The Tiptronic transmission alone cost $1,400 to fix. Then most recently, the passenger window came off its track - $400. I need a tranny flush - $485. In three years, I spent over $9,000 in repairs.

Car Guy loves it!
By artsy on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

I'm a car guy and I've owned some great ones (and a few not so great ones). I had high expectations of this car, since it was by far the most I'd ever had to pay for one, and it has exceeded my expectations. Excellent ride, handling, comfort. We've drive a family of 5 loaded to the hilt 550 miles and got out feeling like we had flown. I can't believe some of the bad reviews here - build quality doesn't vary that much in VWs - they must work at Mazda dealers! Own an Audi for thousands less. This car is absolute best in class!

Please pass on this car
By Unhappy Camper on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD

Leased this vehicle in a pinch- and wish I had taken more time. Dealer played many games on financing and I should have walked then! Want out of my lease and despite all the folks raving over Passats I am weary. Would help if I could like a 2003- as the dealer is playing more games to incent me to stick with it. Burned once.....