Used 2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst Car Ever
By rhemms on 04/02/15 09:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of used cars and this one tops the replacements I have had to put in it. The sludge build up required motor and everything connected to the motor to be replaced (hoses, belts, etc). I also had cracked pipes. And, to top it off I now have the ABS module gone bad. I have a 99 Taurus that I've only spent 1000 on so far. This car, I've spent over 5000, and , I haven't replaced the module yet!

213500 miles and still hauls A**
By beastv6b5 on 10/12/14 11:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I baught this car a year ago with 202k i have put a VERY hard 11k on her i mean racing hard i have owend many cars and none of them could handle me till i got this V6 5s manual passat for 1750 the only issue it has is the ABS system but it doesnt effect what im after. this car seriously exceeds 140 with over 213k... on the track of course! And the only mods on it is a comp chip to over ride the govern, and muffler delete so it sounds like a racer! this car is a great comfortable family car on the road and an absolute beast on the track it is without a doubt the best 1750 i ever spent!

Don't Buy It!!! VWs Expensive To Fix!!!
By manny41 on 04/24/14 20:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car sucks getting it repaired is expensive too much money!!! get a Toyota or Honda Best Cars Around!!!

Good car, reliability not good
By ma3770 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My vehicle currently has over 100,000 miles. Initial impressions during the first 25000 miles were very positive. The car handled decently, the ride was firm, the V6 engine had smooth power. Gas mileage has been constant at an OK 22 combined city/highway. Subsequent impressions were not as good due to overall reliability problems. I could cut and paste the problems mentioned in other reviews/forums, such as leaking cylinder head gaskets, leaking cam seals, tie rod replacement, new ABS module, control arm joints, and a host of various other problems. Repair bills over the years were exorbitant, much of which was due to the high cost of replacement parts.

A Living Nightmare!!! Beware
By chevy55 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Probably the worst car ever!! Will never ever buy a VW again. It had low miles but already had transmission, engine problems. oil and power steering fluid were leaking. car had smoke coming out of the engine. wobbled while driving on the highway and drank gas as if i was driving a 14 cylinder car. i must have read almost every review about this car and saw that almost every car has a least 89-100 thousand miles on it.i should have never bought this junk. Please buyers think twice before purchasing this car

We love this car!
By big harry on 05/03/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

38 - 40 on a long trip. Stick shift is smooth. Lots of leg and headroom. Best car I've ever owned. Far superior to my '91 Passat.

Lemon of a 2000 passat
By tbond on 03/13/10 13:35 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I forget how many times this lemon of a car has gone into the shop. Bought used from some person who much be must happier now. "Emissions workshop" several times . Water pump dead at 35k. Heater doesn't work. New head gasket required at 70k. Coolant leak. Radio died. Rear seat cupholder broken. Thousands of dollars in repairs that simply should not be required in the first 5 years of a cards life. Great car to drive but wouldn't want to own one.

Poor quality
By Viola on 01/27/10 14:31 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Car has multiple problems, not simple wear and tear either. Window fell into door (generic problem) Trunk latch broke Side lamps fell off one day Dome light cracked Oil leak (less than 50k miles)

Great long-term vehicle!
By kaper on 01/09/10 17:39 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my manual trans V6 Passat almost 10 years ago and have to say it's been a great car overall. There have been few unexpected repairs but the repairs I have had to make have been expensive. The car has a peppy V6 engine that gets great gas mileage (low 30's on the highway). My wife describes my Passat as "smooth in every aspect". I've been happy with the quality of the engine and body. The interior controls have a quality feel but many of the buttons, knobs and cupholders have failed or begun to become unreliable. Overall the positives of the vehicle far out way it's issues and I hope to drive my Passat for many more miles!

One headache after another
By rotaryfan on 12/24/09 05:24 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Don't get me wrong here... VW's are excellent cars when they are running 100%. The problem is 99% of the time they are not running properly. Case in point here is my 2000 Passat 1.8T. After 5 years of ownership, I drowned thousands of dollars into repairs. Blown turbo, oil cooler cracked, brakes went soft early on too. The list goes on and on. Sludge had built up in the engine and finally, after 83k miles, the heater core broke. I will NEVER buy a VW again. This is the worst car I've ever dealt with and I don't know why I kept it for so long.