2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Don't Buy It!!! VWs Expensive To Fix!!!
By manny41 on 04/24/14 20:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car sucks getting it repaired is expensive too much money!!! get a Toyota or Honda Best Cars Around!!!

We love this car!
By big harry on 05/03/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

38 - 40 on a long trip. Stick shift is smooth. Lots of leg and headroom. Best car I've ever owned. Far superior to my '91 Passat.

Poor quality
By Viola on 01/27/10 14:31 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Car has multiple problems, not simple wear and tear either. Window fell into door (generic problem) Trunk latch broke Side lamps fell off one day Dome light cracked Oil leak (less than 50k miles)

One headache after another
By rotaryfan on 12/24/09 05:24 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Don't get me wrong here... VW's are excellent cars when they are running 100%. The problem is 99% of the time they are not running properly. Case in point here is my 2000 Passat 1.8T. After 5 years of ownership, I drowned thousands of dollars into repairs. Blown turbo, oil cooler cracked, brakes went soft early on too. The list goes on and on. Sludge had built up in the engine and finally, after 83k miles, the heater core broke. I will NEVER buy a VW again. This is the worst car I've ever dealt with and I don't know why I kept it for so long.

Good Car
By Kevo on 07/01/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love my Passat. I have a Wolfsburg Edition(built in Germany) with a manual transmission. I don't know what happenned with the other people getting bad gas mileage because I get up to 54mpg on the highway which makes this car good for my long commute. I love my Passat, and I've never had to make any major repairs. This car is very quick and very durable. I pull away from Corvettes and Mustangs all the time. I've driven Volkswagens since 1985, and thanks to this car, I'll continue that trend(unless I buy an Audi, hehe)

Fun to drive, but not a long term keeper
By Bob Warren on 05/17/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

The Reliability and Build Quality is terrible. Handles break, Window regulators break, hoses fail ahead of time, sensors give out ahead of time Not a reliable vehicle at all and expensive to fix and maintain. No more VW for me

I love my VW Passat!
By Sienna47 on 07/26/08 07:01 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This was my first VW and will likely not be my last. Since buying my car new in 2000 and putting just about 135,000 miles on it, I have had no major issues with it at all. Yes, repairs are a bit costly, but with regular maintenance, my car has been pretty much problem-free. I intend to hold onto this car for a while simply because it's such a solid, well-built car.

Watch out !
By el guapo on 06/02/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is very problematic. I have spend more in the car than I did in all my old cars put together. The timing belt broke and blew the head, it cost me 2,553.54 dollars. I will never own a volkswagen ever again.

Solid Performer
By socalduck on 03/29/08 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

We purchased new in 2000. Interior quality and excellent handling were the two major selling points. Despite some concerns regarding VW quality, this car has been reliable and virtually problem-free. The one major mechanical issue was an oil seal failure back in 2005, which was covered by VW even though the car was out of warranty; it pays to keep all of your service records! Biggest beef has been the need to use premium fuel, but otherwise this has proven to be a great family car that offers European handling and performance at a reasonable price.

38 MPG at 144k miles - no BS
By BigGuy on 03/27/08 06:03 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

4-cyl turbo w/5-speed manual. This car is like the energizer bunny. My wife can squeeze up to 40 mpg on the highway, consistently, My huge frame fits in it comfortably The trunk is immense.