Used 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

213500 miles and still hauls A**
By beastv6b5

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I baught this car a year ago with 202k i have put a VERY hard 11k on her i mean racing hard i have owend many cars and none of them could handle me till i got this V6 5s manual passat for 1750 the only issue it has is the ABS system but it doesnt effect what im after. this car seriously exceeds 140 with over 213k... on the track of course! And the only mods on it is a comp chip to over ride the govern, and muffler delete so it sounds like a racer! this car is a great comfortable family car on the road and an absolute beast on the track it is without a doubt the best 1750 i ever spent!

Good car, reliability not good
By ma3770

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My vehicle currently has over 100,000 miles. Initial impressions during the first 25000 miles were very positive. The car handled decently, the ride was firm, the V6 engine had smooth power. Gas mileage has been constant at an OK 22 combined city/highway. Subsequent impressions were not as good due to overall reliability problems. I could cut and paste the problems mentioned in other reviews/forums, such as leaking cylinder head gaskets, leaking cam seals, tie rod replacement, new ABS module, control arm joints, and a host of various other problems. Repair bills over the years were exorbitant, much of which was due to the high cost of replacement parts.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior design, decent handling, smooth power, fun to drive, quality interior, good sound system, very good build quality

Suggested Improvements

VW must improve long term reliability to a point where it meets or exceeds its competitors.

A pleasure to drive if you can handle
By Mark

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Right off the bat I'm going to just say in spite of many of the positives in this car, I would avoid it just because of the ridiculous prices VW charges for parts. Found my passat used with 69k on it, now at 120k. I have honestly spent less money repairing this than the Civics I have owned in the past. It hasn't been as reliable as a honda because I have had issues with power steering lines and electrical problems which made the car undriveable. I also always was someone who worked on my own car and this Passat has been a nightmare in that regard (every bolt on the car is a different type and different size and needs a different tool. its insane how many tools you need just to remove one par

Favorite Features

The manual transmission is unlike anything else you will drive on a comparably priced car. You don't feel any jolts or shaking when shifting. Passengers usually are shocked to realize that the car is stick because it drives so smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is junk and stuff falls apart way too easily. Electrical problems are well documented. I think fixing these issues would be a good start.

Nice Car, but Costly Repairs
By Aphid

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I shopped for two years before buying an '00 Passat GLX 5M. I seriously considered the Audi A4, Ford Bronco, Saab 9-3, Olds Alero, and BMW 3-Series among others. This car has some very nice features. I liked the way it drove, I feel safe in it, and I get many nice comments from passengers. However, non-warranty repairs have included MAF (2.5 yrs) for ~$500, control arm (3 yrs) ~$300, 3 rear brakes, rear window motor (5 yrs) ~$250, serpentine belt & powwr steering motor (5 yrs) ~$800, drill out license plate mount from trunk lid (6 yrs) ~$100, rear view mirror (6 yrs) ~$0 (but frustrating get done), belly pan (7 yrs) ~$250, & others that I can't think of right now. If the dealer/repair experience had been better, and if repair costs weren't so high, I'd probably stay with VW/Audi.

Favorite Features

I love the heated front seats, I never thought I'd like them so much and everyone else does too. I also like the rain-sense wipers, although I wish they'd stay on. The split/fold rear seats and moonroof control are great. This car offers a good balance of interior/exterior space. Hood strut, 5th alloy wheel on spare, A/C duct in glovebox, under-door lights (very nice).

Suggested Improvements

VW *must* improve dealer attitude, repair experience. My cats are going bad due to poor MAF replc (probl leakage). This vintage MAF is a known problem. It should have better carpet/sound insulation. The cassette player is quaint.

A Good Midsize Buy
By Bobert

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat as a VW Certified Pre-Owned Car. It's been a good purchase so far. If I had driven 12,000 rather than 15,000 miles each year the car would have held its value better, but I can still sell it for more than I owe. The fuel economy of this car'sV6 engine has been fairly good. I got 29 to 30 mpg on my last road trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. The best part is you can use 87 grade (regular gas) and it won't ping. I don't even notice the performance difference. The CD changer has been replaced once and is going through errors again. I would recommend an aftermarket CD player, except VW does diagnostics through the factory tape player so if you ever need maintance, you'd have to put the stock radio back in.

Favorite Features

I like how this car gets 29 - 30 mpg highway on regular (87) gas with the V6 engine. The fold down back seats 60/40 and Tiptronic transmition are great. Also, it has great back seat room and full size spare. I like the heated seats and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs to have better quality door material it gets scratched easily. Also, it should have a CD changer that plays burned CDs and power seats.