2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Good car, reliability not good
By ma3770 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My vehicle currently has over 100,000 miles. Initial impressions during the first 25000 miles were very positive. The car handled decently, the ride was firm, the V6 engine had smooth power. Gas mileage has been constant at an OK 22 combined city/highway. Subsequent impressions were not as good due to overall reliability problems. I could cut and paste the problems mentioned in other reviews/forums, such as leaking cylinder head gaskets, leaking cam seals, tie rod replacement, new ABS module, control arm joints, and a host of various other problems. Repair bills over the years were exorbitant, much of which was due to the high cost of replacement parts.

A pleasure to drive if you can handle
By Mark on 08/11/09 10:50 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Right off the bat I'm going to just say in spite of many of the positives in this car, I would avoid it just because of the ridiculous prices VW charges for parts. Found my passat used with 69k on it, now at 120k. I have honestly spent less money repairing this than the Civics I have owned in the past. It hasn't been as reliable as a honda because I have had issues with power steering lines and electrical problems which made the car undriveable. I also always was someone who worked on my own car and this Passat has been a nightmare in that regard (every bolt on the car is a different type and different size and needs a different tool. its insane how many tools you need just to remove one par

Nice Car, but Costly Repairs
By Aphid on 02/08/07 13:25 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I shopped for two years before buying an '00 Passat GLX 5M. I seriously considered the Audi A4, Ford Bronco, Saab 9-3, Olds Alero, and BMW 3-Series among others. This car has some very nice features. I liked the way it drove, I feel safe in it, and I get many nice comments from passengers. However, non-warranty repairs have included MAF (2.5 yrs) for ~$500, control arm (3 yrs) ~$300, 3 rear brakes, rear window motor (5 yrs) ~$250, serpentine belt & powwr steering motor (5 yrs) ~$800, drill out license plate mount from trunk lid (6 yrs) ~$100, rear view mirror (6 yrs) ~$0 (but frustrating get done), belly pan (7 yrs) ~$250, & others that I can't think of right now. If the dealer/repair experience had been better, and if repair costs weren't so high, I'd probably stay with VW/Audi.

A Good Midsize Buy
By Bobert on 08/30/06 18:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat as a VW Certified Pre-Owned Car. It's been a good purchase so far. If I had driven 12,000 rather than 15,000 miles each year the car would have held its value better, but I can still sell it for more than I owe. The fuel economy of this car'sV6 engine has been fairly good. I got 29 to 30 mpg on my last road trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. The best part is you can use 87 grade (regular gas) and it won't ping. I don't even notice the performance difference. The CD changer has been replaced once and is going through errors again. I would recommend an aftermarket CD player, except VW does diagnostics through the factory tape player so if you ever need maintance, you'd have to put the stock radio back in.

Passat = Fun
By Steve on 05/03/06 19:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I've had my Passat for 2 months and 2,000 miles. I love the combination of performance, quiet, comfort, distinctive look, gas mileage (26 combined), Monsoon stereo, luxury and great fun factor (5 speed manual). This car is smallish on the outside but roomy inside - a perfect combination of bigness while not being big. This contributes to a true sport sedan look and feel. The 6 year old finish looks like new. The V6 is so quiet I often have to watch the tach to know when to shift. The interior is superb - real wood trim, comfortable seats, plenty of room for four adults plus spacious trunk. It has lots of nice touches, like hold the key in unlock position and the windows open! It's one of a kind.

If you like oil...
By Oildrinker on 01/26/06 14:54 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 2000 Volkswagen Passat since it was new and in general enjoy its speed and agility. The Monsoon system is unparalled for a factory system. I've now got 82,000 miles on it and its the biggest pile of garbage in existence. While the engine runs well, it mysteriously uses one quart of oil every 800 miles. VW thinks this is acceptable! It has front suspension problems with the tie-rods and bearings wearing, and needs a water pump replacement. All in all, this has been a rapidly declining ownership experience

Don't Buy a VW
By HatingVW on 01/14/06 14:23 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

The 2000 Volkswagen Passat is not a reliable car. I have had problems with it since day one. It has been nothing but a money pit. The car essentially self distructs at 50,000 miles.

Sounds Good on Paper
By j.v. king on 12/28/05 23:06 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

The Volkswagen Passat is really fun to drive, however VW makes sure that to keep any of their cars on the road you have to spend a ton of money. In the last two years I've had four oxygen sensors replaced and had to pay for three of them. VW insists that this is not abnormal and would not pay for the expense (~$450 each time). I've found that VWs are either really good or really bad from car to car, good luck with this one...I miss my '89 Jetta.

Loved this VW, repairs expensive though
By thstraus on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I loved this car more than any other car I've owned. Performance, great looks and excellent internal design and comfort outstanding! Maintenence however has been rather costly and a two year warrenty didn't cover much. The design and performance did cover the high cost though and I can't wait for the new '06 design. Love VW's

Best VW Ever
By GYGY on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

The 2000 Passat is definitely the best VW ever built. I still love the car after 50,000 miles. Its reliability is above expectations, I only replaced the rear brake pads+rotors at 45k (500$). The car is ageing gracefully, I plan to keep it for at least another two years.