Used 2000 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

My first - and last - VW!
By Karen

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is junk! I purchased in 2009 with 65K for 8.5K. The car now has 95K - that's right , folks - only 95K - with original transmission/engine, by the way - and I've spent nearly 7K - in repairs and maintenance. A few weeks ago, I was told the right cat converters have to replaced (another 2K down the drain! The left ones were replaced - just six months ago so this car could pass emissions testing) but I've got car registered through 2017 so I'll put up with the annoying alarm reminder sound on the dashboard ("Emissions Workshop"/Check Engine Light), dragging my feet kicking and screaming before I actually get this repair done. I'll NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER VW. Kudos to those owners who've got a great VW - but mine is a MONEY-SUCKING PIECE OF LEMON TURD!! Prevent your migraines...Save your 40(1)K...GET A HONDA, A NISSAN OR A TOYOTA!! I will state the car actually drives beautifully, like a Beamer or a Mercedes - but it has the maintenance and temperament of an angry, grumpy, arthritic Yugo!!

Update 6/8/16: My car's alignment was bad due to broken control arms and bushings - which I paid 1.7K - last week. I just got a phone call from the alignment shop: After completion of the alignment (or rather, re-alignment), the technician took my car for a test drive - and the left turn signal tail light FELL OFF. Are you kidding me??!! I have plenty enough to do on a daily basis - now I have to find ASAP a junkyard to replace the broken tail light - so I don't get a ticket from the police - and - I have to buy four new tires (another 500-plus bucks down the drain!) because the alignment wore the tires down, which, of course, tire warranty isn't applicable to this situation. The shop also said in the next few months something about the belt needs to be placed. I'm a lady - I have no idea what this "belt" thing this is all about. As the shop guy was talking in my ear all I heard was the sound of the cash register opening and closing...opening and closing...opening closing...which is code for: I have to write - another blank check - for another repair. The reason why I purchased this car was to have a device installed the passenger side for transferring my wheelchair-bound mother into the passenger seat. This device is powered by the car battery. (Google "Milford Lift". The product is from Pride Mobility). At the time of my car's purchase, I didn't want to pay nearly 18K for a used Toyota or Honda wheelchair van to take my mother out just once or twice a week - however, with the amount of repairs I've spent to date, add in the cat converter repair I have to do next year before my car is eligible for registration tags - I SHOULD'VE PURCHASED the Toyota or Honda wheelchair van because I can easily resell it without losing a lot of my purchase price as these brand names are always in solid, high demand due to their historic top quality and reliability. I'm afraid my car's transmission will go out in the next six months! If this happens - my head will explode! And I will take a hammer to this car!! It's been my worst nightmare!! Every time I walk past the car in my garage, I swear - it chuckles and farts at me because it knows it's been causing me such a headache!! This car is the elephant in the room that will never ever go away on it's own! Stay. Away. From. VW. Period!!

My wonderful Passat wagon!
By M Morgan

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Passat wagon used, in 2008, now in 2015, 166000 miles. I am still loving this car. It is fully loaded, heated seats, automatic mirror adjustments. Climatron system is great, also the monsoon sound system is amazing. Its a great 'soccer mom' car, love the hatchback, which makes it easy to open and throw in backpacks, sporting stuff as well as groceries, and back seats fold down easily, if transporting something long. I am a small woman, and the car is very comforable, back seats are like your living room sofa. I haven't had many problems with it and I drive it all the time.l The one issue is, the car is sort of low and you have to watch going over speed bumps and such. I have had to fix the mufflers a few times but other than that, it been fine, and I love the smooth driving nature of this car. I would get another one, but this one is still going strong, and also, it a great looking car, very classy looking and still looks great even for 15 years old.

VW Passat GLS V6 wagon (140K miles)
By Patrick

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Wagon

It is a great car for everyday use. I have mine for 6 years and I drove around 55K miles and it runs like a champ. These V6 engines are strong and hard to kill. The only thing I changed besides suspension, is timing ( which is normal every car, so is the oil), gaskets, thermostat, and water pump. Yes these are expensive parts, if you buy original like you should. I am a mechanic so every part I buy, I change it myself. This car is great for hauling cargo inside. So if you're looking for a first car and know something about how change little things and have budget limit to 5K, I suggest you get this car. Now it depends on a person, if you're planning on modifying like boosting, get a 1.8T, if not and want to have the car as a daily drive, get a V6. Why a V6 for a daily drive, because turbos are very expensive to replace, and you never what the car went through with previous owner. You may also ask how is the mpg, well it's not perfect. After I changed the fuel pump and the filter, I started getting 13-15 in city, and 25-30 on highway at steady 60-70 mph, on premium 93 (recommended)

Worst Car Ever
By rhemms

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of used cars and this one tops the replacements I have had to put in it. The sludge build up required motor and everything connected to the motor to be replaced (hoses, belts, etc). I also had cracked pipes. And, to top it off I now have the ABS module gone bad. I have a 99 Taurus that I've only spent 1000 on so far. This car, I've spent over 5000, and , I haven't replaced the module yet!

213500 miles and still hauls A**
By beastv6b5

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I baught this car a year ago with 202k i have put a VERY hard 11k on her i mean racing hard i have owend many cars and none of them could handle me till i got this V6 5s manual passat for 1750 the only issue it has is the ABS system but it doesnt effect what im after. this car seriously exceeds 140 with over 213k... on the track of course! And the only mods on it is a comp chip to over ride the govern, and muffler delete so it sounds like a racer! this car is a great comfortable family car on the road and an absolute beast on the track it is without a doubt the best 1750 i ever spent!