Used 2000 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Worst Car Ever
By rhemms

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had a lot of used cars and this one tops the replacements I have had to put in it. The sludge build up required motor and everything connected to the motor to be replaced (hoses, belts, etc). I also had cracked pipes. And, to top it off I now have the ABS module gone bad. I have a 99 Taurus that I've only spent 1000 on so far. This car, I've spent over 5000, and , I haven't replaced the module yet!

213500 miles and still hauls A**
By beastv6b5

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I baught this car a year ago with 202k i have put a VERY hard 11k on her i mean racing hard i have owend many cars and none of them could handle me till i got this V6 5s manual passat for 1750 the only issue it has is the ABS system but it doesnt effect what im after. this car seriously exceeds 140 with over 213k... on the track of course! And the only mods on it is a comp chip to over ride the govern, and muffler delete so it sounds like a racer! this car is a great comfortable family car on the road and an absolute beast on the track it is without a doubt the best 1750 i ever spent!

Don't Buy It!!! VWs Expensive To Fix!!!
By manny41

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car sucks getting it repaired is expensive too much money!!! get a Toyota or Honda Best Cars Around!!!

150,000+ miles and still going!
By natea

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, this has been an excellent vehicle. To me the most impressive aspect of the car is how it drives so well in snow & rain. I did have a few issues with the front end suspension around the 135,000 mile mark, but they have not come back since. Fuel economy has been as advertised averaging around 23 highway & 17 city. The exterior fit & finish is relatively decent, and the interior is so well built, it still looks almost like new. I've never driven anything but VWs. (I also have an 04 Passat Sedan). Keep in mind, VW is not like Honda/Toyota, VWs require a little more work, but will easily surpass the 500,000 mile mark. As long as you take care of a VW, it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

Exterior Fit & Finish Interior Fit & Finish Overall ride quality

IT's a CRAP SHOOT
By 805misskitty

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

this vehicle ran great first 80k miles. But the window fell out & a bunch of interior things broke while still considered a newer car. I read all the reviews on car. I got the car from friend knowing she was about to run into trouble with it. It was in good to fair condition. I bought it with another friend at a good price knowing we would be dumping a lot of $$$$ into it over the next few years who I knew could tackle the problems ahead. What I wasn't prepared for was everything happening at once AND PROBLEMS WITH the rack and pinion. I hope I spelled that right. If you are looking to buy a Passat 2000-2004 do a Vin history on it. If you're looking for a smart buy, this ain't it!

Favorite Features

When in good running order it drives like a much more expensive sports car. I usually don't dig wagon's but this is a nice looking vehicle and holds a lot of stuff in the back. I love the night time interior dash lights. They are purple.

Suggested Improvements

clips for replacing the passenger side window are difficult to find. The rear hatch we have to prop with a pole to keep open, cup holders are a total joke, everythings all jammed up too close to the front dash like bogus cup holder, plug for cell charger, ash tray and shift nob, etc..etc... I'd say they need to use BETTER QUALITY PARTS USED in production that last as long as people believe VW car & parts will last. My father had a VW beetle in 1965. He sold it for more than he paid for it in 1989. Never had a problem with his "BUG". . And most people believe VW is a quality product to buy. Not in this case. Thank god my friendships solid with my friend I bought it from : )