2000 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Don't Buy It!!! VWs Expensive To Fix!!!
By manny41 on 04/24/14 20:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car sucks getting it repaired is expensive too much money!!! get a Toyota or Honda Best Cars Around!!!

150,000+ miles and still going!
By natea on 03/15/13 11:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, this has been an excellent vehicle. To me the most impressive aspect of the car is how it drives so well in snow & rain. I did have a few issues with the front end suspension around the 135,000 mile mark, but they have not come back since. Fuel economy has been as advertised averaging around 23 highway & 17 city. The exterior fit & finish is relatively decent, and the interior is so well built, it still looks almost like new. I've never driven anything but VWs. (I also have an 04 Passat Sedan). Keep in mind, VW is not like Honda/Toyota, VWs require a little more work, but will easily surpass the 500,000 mile mark. As long as you take care of a VW, it will take care of you.

IT's a CRAP SHOOT
By 805misskitty on 04/20/12 21:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

this vehicle ran great first 80k miles. But the window fell out & a bunch of interior things broke while still considered a newer car. I read all the reviews on car. I got the car from friend knowing she was about to run into trouble with it. It was in good to fair condition. I bought it with another friend at a good price knowing we would be dumping a lot of $$$$ into it over the next few years who I knew could tackle the problems ahead. What I wasn't prepared for was everything happening at once AND PROBLEMS WITH the rack and pinion. I hope I spelled that right. If you are looking to buy a Passat 2000-2004 do a Vin history on it. If you're looking for a smart buy, this ain't it!

Great car I would buy again
By mmmike1 on 12/11/11 17:29 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great handling, comfortable and firm seats: I can drive from Florida to North Caroina in one day. And I am over 50. Power is good (I chipped up the motor). Brakes very good. Visibility is super. Small on the outside but plenty of room inside. Heat is adequate. AC still works and well!

Glad I'm handy with a wrench
By ns1915 on 08/04/11 09:01 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Why I will never buy another VW. Replaced control arms twice in 80,000 miles. Bad ABS module, bad CCM, bad ECU, all oxygen sensors have been replaced, engine sludge problem, two bad window regulators, Emissions Workshop Errors all the time. Every two winters battery needs to be replaced. Took it to dealer for a check engine and was told I had 2 bad catalytic converters, $2,300. Had it scanned somewhere else and was told that it does have a catalytic error, but the dealer failed to mention several vacuum leak errors. I replaced $20 worth of vac hose, problem solved. Haven't had an error in 10,000 miles, this is a record!! Replacing the above parts with non OEM has helped a lot.

Good car, reliability not good
By ma3770 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My vehicle currently has over 100,000 miles. Initial impressions during the first 25000 miles were very positive. The car handled decently, the ride was firm, the V6 engine had smooth power. Gas mileage has been constant at an OK 22 combined city/highway. Subsequent impressions were not as good due to overall reliability problems. I could cut and paste the problems mentioned in other reviews/forums, such as leaking cylinder head gaskets, leaking cam seals, tie rod replacement, new ABS module, control arm joints, and a host of various other problems. Repair bills over the years were exorbitant, much of which was due to the high cost of replacement parts.

An experience.
By limee925 on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Liked the car for the ability to transport 2 German Shepherds and humans comfortably. Plenty of room and very comfortable with the heated leather seats and pretty good gas mileage. The steering was pleasantly weighted and got heavier the faster the vehicle moved, giving a feeling of solidity and feeling well planted and secure. Cruised well. Unfortunately after a mere 8000 miles of ownership, the engine compartment combusted today necessitating a 911 call to extinguish the flames.

A Living Nightmare!!! Beware
By chevy55 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Probably the worst car ever!! Will never ever buy a VW again. It had low miles but already had transmission, engine problems. oil and power steering fluid were leaking. car had smoke coming out of the engine. wobbled while driving on the highway and drank gas as if i was driving a 14 cylinder car. i must have read almost every review about this car and saw that almost every car has a least 89-100 thousand miles on it.i should have never bought this junk. Please buyers think twice before purchasing this car

We love this car!
By big harry on 05/03/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

38 - 40 on a long trip. Stick shift is smooth. Lots of leg and headroom. Best car I've ever owned. Far superior to my '91 Passat.

This was a fabulous car
By Cabrilla on 03/20/10 14:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my Passat wagon used, with about 42K miles on it, as the second owner. It was fun to drive, handled well, and was a pleasure to own for nearly 8 years. For 3 years I drove it on a 140mi commute (RT). It also made several long-distance (1000+ miles RT) road trips every year with no problems. Overall, it was extremely reliable. They had to adjust the mass air sensor the first week I had it. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance, there weren't any issues for 5 years of moderate to very heavy driving. I had to have the head gaskets replaced on the engine at about 130K miles. The ABS braking chip needed replacing at about 150K miles.