1999 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - don't be a victim of

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX V6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Automatic)

don't be a victim of the dealer
By keith_g on

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Like many I have been told for years to stay away from German cars. However my average repair on an American car was always $750. So how bad could it be? I bought a 99 V6 Passat in Nov of 07 with 112K on it. I was the 3rd owner. I have had to fix the ECU, Control Arm and Power steering pump. But with the car this age and miles that did not seem bad to me. Also, if you have a German car and you need a part! LOOK ON LINE for it and save! Example, the ECU “traction control computer” dealer and private shop cost, 1K4-1.5K$. To buy new with 1 year warrantee, “600$”. To take it out myself, have it sent to a company that fixes it and ships it back with a 3 year warrantee, “$168.00” DO YOU SEE MY POINT! I would trust this car to get into it right now and drive to Alaska! Love it! Get the 2.8

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats so nice! Auto Slap Stick is Fun to drive! Very Big Trunk! Get the 2.8 over the 1.8. The car pulls like mad when you floor it!

Suggested Improvements

The oil dip stick needs to be higher and no sealed trannsmission any more!