Keep it simple
By kathonic on
1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan
I purchased mine with 190,000 miles prominently interstate and highway mileage. The car is lumbering around town, but can really move when you need it to (I've already avoided a few accidents because of it). Mechanically everything is easy to replace yourself, and often much cheaper as well, so if your considering the 5-speed V6 I would definitely invest in as much repair materials as you can. If you're good at basic repairs and replacement this car responds well to them. A word of warning however, do NOT skimp on seals and gaskets, make sure they are in good order before buying this car, because they have the most potential to do the greatest harm.
Favorite Features
Visibility: If there's one thing I can appreciate is not having to make crazy head movements to check my lanes. Clear sight-lines on all sides and lofty headroom in front and back (based on my 6'4 height). The adjustable height on the seats is very helpful. Stability: I've had to drive in a few severe storms recently with flooding and slick roads this car sticks to the pavement, it can also turn much tighter then I can handle. Trunk space and rear leg room are a big plus as well. It is a good traveling car granted you keep the maintenance up to date.
Suggested Improvements
Engine accessibility is cramped, to change something as simple as spark plugs you must remove the intake line (MAF included) and expansion reservoir in order to reach plug 3 and 6, this also goes for the PCV system. There is plenty of room under the hood so there's no excuse for the odd placement of some of these parts. Better insulation for electronics around the block, some of the plug wires and sensors run directly across the top of the block which averages 190+ degrees at OT. Lots of very loose stripping on multiple wiring harnesses.