Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Shocked at the problems you all have
By Tommy D.

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in late 99. 4cyl tubo with 5 speed. Didn't take the greatest care of it and still driving it into the ground. Only issue was the timing belt which cost me $1200 when it blew on the freeway at 100k miles which was just over the suggested change amount. Tip for everyone-DO NOT TAKE THE CAR TO A DEALER! Someone mentioned you have to have the battery changed at a dealer. What crap.I changed all mine and I am no mechanic. Also, premium gas, you are kidding! U don't need it, never used it once. I have $185k and have spent about $2500 on maintenance over 10 years. Simple oil changes-$35 and a brake job for $200 ea 5 years or so. On my 3rd set of costco tires. be smarter!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage 30+ freeway. Look was great when purchased and car still doesn't look dated. Try that with an American car.

Suggested Improvements

Timing Belt design with an interference engine was poor and the manual should have reccommended lower mileage for a change out.

99 passat dont buy a used one!!!
By nay92

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

soooo i purchased this car with a little over 160,000 on it from ..this is the worst car by far to buy. only way i would ever buy this car again is it its complelty NEW..matienance on this car is soooooo high its crazy. i bought it for $3,250 and put more money into this car then what i bought it for...replaced both catalytic convertors ..o2 sensors.. coil packs...motor mounts..new tires...etc..it was misfiring its just ridiouls when they say everything thing that looks good isnt they are not lying!! just dont buy a used one dont even waste your money...the man that worked on my car said dont ever buy a foreign car over 100,000 miles because you will have to get everything replaced !!

Favorite Features

the interior was nice and the way it looks thats it!

Suggested Improvements

cheaper parts..this is NOT a low matinance car.. you need money to drive this when one thing goes bad or breaks its like follow the leader then the next thing goes bad!

Keep it simple
By kathonic

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine with 190,000 miles prominently interstate and highway mileage. The car is lumbering around town, but can really move when you need it to (I've already avoided a few accidents because of it). Mechanically everything is easy to replace yourself, and often much cheaper as well, so if your considering the 5-speed V6 I would definitely invest in as much repair materials as you can. If you're good at basic repairs and replacement this car responds well to them. A word of warning however, do NOT skimp on seals and gaskets, make sure they are in good order before buying this car, because they have the most potential to do the greatest harm.

Favorite Features

Visibility: If there's one thing I can appreciate is not having to make crazy head movements to check my lanes. Clear sight-lines on all sides and lofty headroom in front and back (based on my 6'4 height). The adjustable height on the seats is very helpful. Stability: I've had to drive in a few severe storms recently with flooding and slick roads this car sticks to the pavement, it can also turn much tighter then I can handle. Trunk space and rear leg room are a big plus as well. It is a good traveling car granted you keep the maintenance up to date.

Suggested Improvements

Engine accessibility is cramped, to change something as simple as spark plugs you must remove the intake line (MAF included) and expansion reservoir in order to reach plug 3 and 6, this also goes for the PCV system. There is plenty of room under the hood so there's no excuse for the odd placement of some of these parts. Better insulation for electronics around the block, some of the plug wires and sensors run directly across the top of the block which averages 190+ degrees at OT. Lots of very loose stripping on multiple wiring harnesses.

excellent
By adriannep

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2012 with 150k on it. When bought I did some front suspension work on it and replaced all oil gaskets on it as a piece of mind. With the miles on it I went through the entire car and perfected i. Clutch done cus I wanted Today this car reached 300k miles and it still runs like new. No lights on dash and still great gas mileage. Will never get rid of it until the tires fall of it. German cars are great cars for those who know how to take care of em. They're not for everyone and u cant go to auto zone and buy parts for it and expect it to last. U get what u pay for. I have never been stuck with it and I don't think I ever will. Safe and reliable and good looking car.

poor performer
By neveragainvw

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

everyone seems to say its fun to drive but i dont see it. acceleration is slow, car just lacks in performance. you have to dig through the entire front end just to get to the engine. and WAY too expensive to fix. would never own another vw. ill stick to the japanese imports and domestics

Favorite Features

tip-tronic

Suggested Improvements

lower gearing and less expensive parts