1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
awesome car
By vw4life on 08/16/09 05:41 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a couple of years now and it has 270,000 miles on it and have had no problems I mean I have had to replace some belts but this car is great! I love VW's and as long as you do regular maintenance on them they keep going. This car is proof. It has been up and down the east coast with no hesitation! It's comfortable, roomy , and drives great. It still can get up and go if you need it to! I would recommend this car to anyone!

Average Annual Maintenance Costs = $1500
By CONNIE on 07/20/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Passat new 10 years ago. I was seduced by the style, tiptronic and cool commercials during that time. I'm a sucker for Nick Drake. I now have 122k miles on the car and have gotten to know my various mechanics very well over the years. The passenger window slipped into the door - twice. That repair cost me $200+. Simple maintenance like battery changes can't be done outside of the dealership. Removing and replacing the battery disables the car's computer console which can only be reset at the dealership = cost of battery + reset fee $70. Silly things like this are common. Other replacements: tie rods, broken sunroof (within the first year) replacement cost $700; oil leaks +++

Not all that Bad
By LJ on 07/20/09 01:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Reading all the reviews on the car I'm a little surprised. But I noticed most of them come from the wagon or v6 model. Then again I've had this car for only 6 months. It performs fine. I do have a problem with the abs module. But my brakes work fine for now. Its a German import. The parts are known to be expensive. That is a given and known fact that most people know, its no secret. The car is smooth and has plenty power for a 4 cyl. Good hwy mpg. The seats are a little hot. And engine displaces a lot of heat. But that doesn't make it a bad car. The high octane thing is annoying. Octane booster still helps even with 91 octane.

HATE IT
By cassie1988 on 06/24/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I totally agree! I just got the car fixed and got it back two days ago and it already has a new set of problems. I have never had a car with so many problems or heard of any one having a car with so many problems. First chance i get i'm trading in this car and will NEVER EVER buy another VW again..not worth the time, stress or money! Anyone who's thinking about buying one...DON'T!

Fun to drive - rough on the wallet
By Jeremy on 06/04/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is really fun to drive. It handles well. It costs WAY too much to maintain. $900 to replace the timing belt. $500 to replace the brakes. Timing belt slipped and had to get the engine replaced. Found a used one for $3000 as opposed to the $7000 the dealership quoted me. Basically it's not worth having because it costs too much to maintain.

Worst car EVER!
By SLC71 on 06/04/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

BUYER BEWARE! Almost everything has broken (mult. times) on this car ($8K in 6 y - not incl. maint). Mechanics say they see this all the time w/ Passats & VERY spendy to fix! *CRAZY low clearance - 3 belly boots & 2 oil pans *Window motors - repaired/replaced chronically *Doors/locks w/ chronic problems (cylinders, housings, mech., elect., etc.) *Faulty factory sunroof leads to flooding & since electrical is in the floor behind driver, this shorts out the comf. cxl module. *Turn lights have poor quality plastic causing lights to fall out (has happened 3x on each side) *Misc. crap in & out breaks and falls off (latches, dials, etc.) *Mechanic refers to it as "The Dutchman & The Dike"

No more VW
By NomoreVW on 06/02/09 03:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased from neighbor 2 years into 3 year lease. All I've ever owned are VW's. Passat is a pleasure to drive. However, over 8 years, I've had many problems even with only 77,000 miles. No AM reception, trunk doesn't open even manually (i.e. without keyless entry) due to a faulty latch, water leaks into the trunk lid and then drips into the trunk when the lid is opened; air conditioning stopped working - dealer said the vent system needed to be realigned, the power windows stopped working and the entire control box had to be replaced, first clutch replaced at only 30,000 (other VW's I've owned were at closer to 70,000). No more VW's for this driver.

What's so hard about building a good car
By Never Again on 05/06/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Too many plastic parts that break well before their time - the toggle-switch for the outside remote mirrors, four window regulators (2 on one window, and the 5th is currently broken) so the window falls into the door, timing-belt at less than 50K miles because the hydraulic tensioner failed (and the repairs were rejected by the class-action suit!), a rear seatbelt jammed, and the two front turn-light assemblies fell off the car (at different times) because they're not mounted with screws - they're held-in by spring clips. I bought the car for my wife for safety, but I'd be afraid the airbags wouldn't work when you need them most!

VW Passat
By cassie8844 on 04/27/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year at an auction. The minute I saw it I loved it and after I took it for a drive I knew I had to have it. Well I did expect to have to fix some things considering I bought it from an auction and I got it for a pretty low price. I took it to a mechanic after I got it and he told me the ball joints needed to be replaced,among a few other things. This car has eight ball joints! I got the money for it and have someone to fix it and now I cannot find the parts. I have no idea why it is so difficult to find parts for this car but I would never buy another VW for that reason.

Bad Bad Bad Car
By Fabi on 03/03/09 08:40 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 90.000 miles on it. Paid $3000,00 and in less than 2 months I had spend $3,600 in parts. The car doesn't go one week without breaking is weird ! is bad If I could go back in time I would never buy it ! after that I had to spend more money because the car is always breaking down. You never know when you will be able to wake up and go to work because you never know if your car will start! CRAZY! MY ADVICE DON'T BUY IT!