1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Still a Keeper
By stillakeeper on 05/29/10 07:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Had 3 previous Jettas and a 93 Passat VR6, so we're worried about reliability but liked the car. Overall only one real problem. Water pump began slow leak at 65,000 miles so had to do timing belt prematurely, and then the replacement water pump leaked 6 mos later. Dealer had to redo job for free. They showed me the part -- a $65 plastic piece of junk that required a $1600 repair. Otherwise, our has held up well. No other problems, no deterioration. Still looks and performs like a new car. Routine maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. not bad if you use an independent shop.

99 Passat
By Craig D on 05/26/10 13:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have been very happy with this car. I drive a lot since I am in sales. I get good HWY mileage 28 to 30 MPG. Very good looking car. Leather seats holding up well. Outside of timing belt replacement, I have only had one other major repair expense in 2 years I have owned Passat. Keep good tires on it.

Great car!
By Kaylene on 03/26/10 07:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love this car. I drove a stick shift, and it was the best car i have ever owned. I would recommend this if you love going fast. GREAT CAR!

Never another VW
By Earl on 02/19/10 11:59 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This has been my worst vehicle I have owned,first Wagon sold in Oklahoma nothing but mechanical problems. Electronic sensors contnue to go out which are expensive to replace, 82000 had timing belt replaced plus other repairs, $1200.00 now all cylinders misfiring, another electronic sensor,$800.00 plus. The timing chain behind cam loose and chewed up plastic shield making shrill sound when running, cost to replace $1100 plus. If I had taken it back to dealer would be much more. If I can sell it after repaired for what it is costing me to repair it will be gone and replaced with an American made car. If you have more money than you need by a VW it will soon be gone.

Do Not Buy A Used One
By Taken for a ride on 01/30/10 09:02 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased for my daughter thinking it would be a safe reliable car.Had 90,000 miles drove great and took dealers recommendation "it will be a great car for her" In the first year each month we averaged $500 in repairs.I have a 1990 BMW for the past 5 yrs it's only cost me $500 in repairs. Now a sludge problem that could cost over $2000 to repair Would never buy one again. Loved my bug in the 70's but VW has to work on reliability and reduced pricing for parts before I would buy another.

Great car, expensive to maintain
By JG on 01/29/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I have read many Passat reviews prior to and after I bought my 99 Passat V6 w/5spd manual tranny. I loved the car when I bought it and still do. Having said that, I will agree with others that they are expensive to maintain. Lots of fixes last 3yrs. I have 130k mi on mine now and am ready to purchase again. I would love to move up to a 2007-2008 4Motion Passat but hesitate only because of the fixes I've had to perform in the last three years. Will they happen again? Is the newly redesigned vehicle more reliable and the engine a better design that will need fewer fixes from 90k and up? I still love the design of the Passats, I would just love to have awd traction and an auto tranny

Great Car
By Leroy on 12/10/09 19:47 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been the most fun ride I've ever driven. Perfect example of a heavy German sedan, killer in any driving condition. The only problem I've had with it after 130,000 miles is a coolant sensor going out, an easy $8 fix. I'm a sold VW driver now.

Volkswagen Passat V6 GLS
By Al on 12/01/09 05:25 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Car overall runs very good compare to Honda or Toyota 99. Grips to the road and solid feel. So far no problems and regularly change the oil.

Nice car to drive but...
By Integraguy1995 on 10/27/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas and when my wife bought her Passat used with 95k, I was expecting a decent vehicle from VW as well. Boy was I wrong. "German engineering" in this case means that everything was engineered to fail at 100,000 miles. We paid $8,500 for this car two years ago and have put $6,000 into in repairs since. The timing belt and water pump were expected but when we had to replace the power steering rack, strut mounts, all four window regulators and had to fork over absurd money for German-made synthetic oil and filters to keep the turbo from blowing out, we were not pleased to say the least. Can't wait to get rid of this thing for a Honda or Toyota.

1999 Passat GLS 1.8T. Just the facts.
By OnTheFence on 10/10/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 40K miles in Feb 04 Sold with 115K miles in Aug 09 Control arm link. $700 Computer replaced. $600 ABS failed in 06 but never fixed. Rear Axle went out of alignment. With the B5 frame, the entire axle must be replaced. I never replaced it because it would have cost $1.2K. Leaks 1 quart of oil per month. Heated side mirrors failed in 05. Timing belt never changed. I loved my Passat but never felt confident to take this car on long trips with the family. It is a nice car but the repairs are expensive. My new ride. 2003 Passat Wagon with 73K miles.... :) As I said, apart from the reliability, I love this car. Enjoy, this is just my facts.