Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Most Low-Maintenance Car I've Ever Owned
By waterwish

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought the 1999 Passat Wagon used in 2001 or so, with 24K miles on it. It had been an executive car at VW in Dearborn. It must have been charmed, because it was the lowest-maintenance car I've ever owned. I hardly had to spend a dime on that thing except for oil changes and some regular, reasonable maintenance. This was before VW decided to make everything so difficult to repair on all their cars, so the dealers could make a fortune off of consumers with silly repairs. I was able to do simple things like headlamp replacements myself. In 2004 I stupidly traded it for a new one at 0% financing and now I'm stuck with a lemon. Don't buy an '04 Passat Wagon!

Favorite Features

Comfort, ride, reliability, mileage, efficiency, lack of breakdowns, low-maintenance.

luvin it!
By lilfay

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I received my passat by accident, but it was a miracle, when i first drove it i was shocked by the solid drive and how smooth it was, it just felt good, i am blessed to say i have had no problems thus far and i am almost on my 1st year with it, only gripe is the anti freeze leaks and must be replaced every 3weeks or so, its a 250 job i dont wana pay for so ima just keep replacing the antifreeze, but this car atleast lets you know that it is low jus like the over protective gas tank which also alerts u when u r at the 1/8 mark, over all this car has been very good 2 me, i do my scheduled maintainence and it maintains, i am lookin 4ward 2 more german cars and i'll keep this til it's dead :)

Favorite Features

love my sunroof, german engineering period!

Suggested Improvements

engine could be a bit more peppy, my 91 accord was a lot faster, lol

used to love her
By Anonymous

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had my 99 Passat for about 2 years. She has well over 200,00 miles and i have had no engine problems. however, i have replaced the drive axle for the second time in about 4 months. I'm still not positive if the first replacement was defective or if there is an unlying issue with the car. Other than that however, i have absolutly no complaints!

Suggested Improvements

remove the star bolts and replace them with phillips head screws. Major home repairs are next to impossible on this vehicle.

poor performer
By neveragainvw

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

everyone seems to say its fun to drive but i dont see it. acceleration is slow, car just lacks in performance. you have to dig through the entire front end just to get to the engine. and WAY too expensive to fix. would never own another vw. ill stick to the japanese imports and domestics

Favorite Features

tip-tronic

Suggested Improvements

lower gearing and less expensive parts

By New Owner

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My Vw gets me where i want to be. i drive it alot and it gets great gas mileage. It hasa lot of odd bugs that need to be worked out and it always has something going on but i guess what car with high mileage doesnt have that. Everything radio Wise works.. and heat and air.. so thats fine with me.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, Great gas mileage , sun- moon roof. Six disc cd changer

Suggested Improvements

Wish the door locks would not set the car alarm off. and he passenger window worked..