Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Change your timing belt early!
By SandeeB

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I loved driving my VW Passat. It looked great & was fun to drive; the only problem was with reliability. The final straw was when the timing belt broke at 84,000 miles and caused so much damage I had to get a new engine. VW schedules replacement of the timing belt at 105,000 miles. If you love your Passat, change the timing belt early and save yourself $5,000.

Reliability & maintenance recommendations!

Glad I Listened To My Wife...
By OregonDan

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

One of few times I'll admit my wife made the right choice...the other marrying me. Weighed it against the Accord & Camry, but wife fell in love with the car's interior & exterior. I personally enjoy the option of either shifting or leaving it in automatic shifter mode (VW Triptronic thingy)... especially on Daddy & Daughter day & I have to reach back while driving. The Passat get surprisingly good mileage for how I drive, usually "above" the speed limit. No problems whatsoever with the car. Also appreciate the built-in back shading for our child and helps keep the car cooler here in Central CA. It's nice having a car you feel good about getting in to

Triptronic manual/auto shifter. Gas mileage, and build quality.

Improve strength of backseat cup holder.

VW Forever
By passatv6

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have had my VW since I bought it new in 99, I love it, never had any prolbems with it. I am an enthusiast and have taken exellect care, wash every weekend, was every 2 months, condition the leather once a month, and it looks like the day I bought it. Fuel economy is exellent and very fun to drive. I had the VW Sport suspension and 18" wheels, so it is a head turner.

blue interior lights and all the cool gadgets.

better cup holders, but the newer models have better cup holders.

fun to drive, no fun to repair
By Dakud

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car can break your heart. It has great style and drives very well, but the amount of time and money you will spend in the repair shop will leave you wishing you had reconsidered your choice.

VW must improve reliability of minor parts such as electrical, power windows, radio, lights, etc.

great car
By dmac

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in '99. I had a '93 Passat Wagon with a VR6 before this Passat. The '99 is a completely different car, and way better. Mine has the 1.8T with a 5-speed. Fun to drive, great gas mileage. I have not had any problems. Replaced the brakes at about 50K, stay current on servicing.

fun to drive, good ergonomics

would like 4wd if I could still get 32mpg's on the highway!