1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Nothing but problems
By claret on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have very little that is good to say about this vehicle, or Volkswagen in general. I have had several unresolved problems with this car and the dealership where I bought it. In addition, if you ever have a problem with Volkswagen don't bother calling their headquarters. You will get rude, inattentive service with zero resolution to your problem. Problems: Thermostat, spark plugs, "false" computer chip errors, etc.

Forget Audi
By Doster on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

A great car even for a big guy. Plenty of legroom. Yes, the cupholders are terrible, but I don't care. The manual tranny is great and the engine is totally responsive to even a light foot. Definately a keeper. Engine and tranny noise are non-existant in the cabin. Going from an American vehicle to this car is like going from dark to light in comparison...tight and controlled! Hopefully, the fun will live beyond the 2 year/24000 mile warranty.

My favorite car ever!
By Jill in Portland, OR on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

We love this car! I like the gas mileage (good for a station wagon). The heated seats are great on rainy days. I like manual while my husband likes automatic, so the tiptronic is the perfect feature for us. Leather makes cleaning up after messy kids easy. The car is very quiet and there's plenty of power.

Dereks Passat
By Derek2D on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome, the turbo engine, and the 5 Speed are sweet. The sound system is great, and the gauges at night are cool-looking. I am not usually into the VW's but the passat has made me feel like I did when I first got my license, its a joy to drive!

Great Car
By dharjo/buhshe on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

The Passat is a fun car to drive, it is peppy. The main reason we bought the Passat is for all of the safety features it offers and that it is featured on the Highway Safety web page as a great pick with the highest review. We get great gas mileage as well, plus it is a great looking car. We have been real pleased with the vehicle and hate that we have to sell it to get a larger vehicle as our family is growing (in numbers) and we need more seats.

Pasatt
By melisa on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Great car!

Great Car
By Martha on 03/13/02 15:36 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I love my '99 Passat. The V6 engine is like butter, 5 speed manual transmission is fun and we have racked up 57000 miles on it on our long trips across Texas. The only problems I ever had with the car was the CD changer (didn't work after 2 yrs), and most importantly, whenever I turned off the AC and turned on the fan the smell from the vents was bad. We took it in twice for the smell during the very limited 2 yr/24000 mi warranty and all that could be done was to take the oxygen out of the car to kill any possible mold growing in the system. The problem was back after 3 months.

Poor Man's Audi
By Frizz on 03/11/02 15:18 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

There's no better sedan for the money. I was going to buy an A6, but after checking out the Passat and the Audi side by side at an auto show, I decided to save 10k and get essentially the same car. Compare this interior with anything under $50,000- seriously. It will make you want to cry if you have to drive a Taurus or Malibu, and for the record, I'm a Ford fan. The build quality is superior, and I've had precisely zero problems in 3 years. A truly great car!

Great Car
By Brandon/bswansea on 03/06/02 15:47 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1999 Passat Wagon new in April of 99. It has the 1.8 litre turbo engine and a 5-speed manual transmission. The only option it came with was the leather & cold weather package combo, but I had them add a 6-disc CD changer and alloy wheels. the car is almost 3 years old now and has just over 38000 trouble-free miles on it. The handling and performance are very good. This car gets plenty of power and lots of low end torque.

title of my review
By vone on 03/01/02 17:31 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

i like this car alot although the tiptronic mode of it is verry un responsive and hard to control.