1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Most Low-Maintenance Car I've Ever Owned
By waterwish on 02/11/11 08:19 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought the 1999 Passat Wagon used in 2001 or so, with 24K miles on it. It had been an executive car at VW in Dearborn. It must have been charmed, because it was the lowest-maintenance car I've ever owned. I hardly had to spend a dime on that thing except for oil changes and some regular, reasonable maintenance. This was before VW decided to make everything so difficult to repair on all their cars, so the dealers could make a fortune off of consumers with silly repairs. I was able to do simple things like headlamp replacements myself. In 2004 I stupidly traded it for a new one at 0% financing and now I'm stuck with a lemon. Don't buy an '04 Passat Wagon!

luvin it!
By lilfay on 02/08/11 01:01 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I received my passat by accident, but it was a miracle, when i first drove it i was shocked by the solid drive and how smooth it was, it just felt good, i am blessed to say i have had no problems thus far and i am almost on my 1st year with it, only gripe is the anti freeze leaks and must be replaced every 3weeks or so, its a 250 job i dont wana pay for so ima just keep replacing the antifreeze, but this car atleast lets you know that it is low jus like the over protective gas tank which also alerts u when u r at the 1/8 mark, over all this car has been very good 2 me, i do my scheduled maintainence and it maintains, i am lookin 4ward 2 more german cars and i'll keep this til it's dead :)

used to love her
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had my 99 Passat for about 2 years. She has well over 200,00 miles and i have had no engine problems. however, i have replaced the drive axle for the second time in about 4 months. I'm still not positive if the first replacement was defective or if there is an unlying issue with the car. Other than that however, i have absolutly no complaints!

poor performer
By neveragainvw on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

everyone seems to say its fun to drive but i dont see it. acceleration is slow, car just lacks in performance. you have to dig through the entire front end just to get to the engine. and WAY too expensive to fix. would never own another vw. ill stick to the japanese imports and domestics

By New Owner on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My Vw gets me where i want to be. i drive it alot and it gets great gas mileage. It hasa lot of odd bugs that need to be worked out and it always has something going on but i guess what car with high mileage doesnt have that. Everything radio Wise works.. and heat and air.. so thats fine with me.

Luv this turbo
By Dorito4 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

So, I bought my 99 Passat gls 1.8l turbo, a few months ago and I gatta say I luv this car it runs great and i haven't had a problem with it. its not super good on gas but its ok. In this car i have done so many fun stuff, from drifting it, and just putting the pedal to the floor and the car is still good. gotta luv this car

Excellent car!
By pdxpdx on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought our 1999 Passat Wagon brand new and have been thoroughly satisfied with it since. The fit and finish were superb from the start, a very high quality feel and SO fun to drive! The seats are incredibly comfortable, with firm support, and easy on the driver even on long drives. After 11 years now, we have only had almost no problems, outside of normal wear and tear. Very good gas mileage as well. Very happy with this car!

Shocked at the problems you all have
By Tommy D. on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in late 99. 4cyl tubo with 5 speed. Didn't take the greatest care of it and still driving it into the ground. Only issue was the timing belt which cost me $1200 when it blew on the freeway at 100k miles which was just over the suggested change amount. Tip for everyone-DO NOT TAKE THE CAR TO A DEALER! Someone mentioned you have to have the battery changed at a dealer. What crap.I changed all mine and I am no mechanic. Also, premium gas, you are kidding! U don't need it, never used it once. I have $185k and have spent about $2500 on maintenance over 10 years. Simple oil changes-$35 and a brake job for $200 ea 5 years or so. On my 3rd set of costco tires. be smarter!

Great car
By NS on 09/02/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat at 120k, I'm up to 155 now with no major problems. Only repairs I've had to make were a faulty coolant sensor, serp belt, and a control arm - all less than $300, and pretty routine maintenance. Car gets good mpg's, I typically get around 28-30 on the interstate.

Dont waste your time or money
By unhappy vw owner on 07/19/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

If she didn't wreck my Civic I wouldn't be on here. Parts are outrageous, car has hardly any power looking for new engine now after for months ownership cheap interior, loose steering, radio has bad reception. Seat recliners are bad, nothing good about this car but the sunroof. Turbo is extremely weak. So don't try to talk you're dad into it because it's definitely not worth the hassle first hand. Bad idea.