Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Never again!
By 0osarahhh

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 5 months and already cannot afford the up keep! I paid $4000 for it, and have put about $2000 into it now. First I had to replace front brake hoses, right and left control arms, then the thermostat went, now I have oil leaking and a major electrical system problem. Never again will I buy another Volkswagen.

The update features it has for being only a 99.

A lot, for as much as people pay for the vehicle, the parts could be a lot better quality.

don't be a victim of the dealer
By keith_g

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Like many I have been told for years to stay away from German cars. However my average repair on an American car was always $750. So how bad could it be? I bought a 99 V6 Passat in Nov of 07 with 112K on it. I was the 3rd owner. I have had to fix the ECU, Control Arm and Power steering pump. But with the car this age and miles that did not seem bad to me. Also, if you have a German car and you need a part! LOOK ON LINE for it and save! Example, the ECU “traction control computer” dealer and private shop cost, 1K4-1.5K$. To buy new with 1 year warrantee, “600$”. To take it out myself, have it sent to a company that fixes it and ships it back with a 3 year warrantee, “$168.00” DO YOU SEE MY POINT! I would trust this car to get into it right now and drive to Alaska! Love it! Get the 2.8

Heated leather seats so nice! Auto Slap Stick is Fun to drive! Very Big Trunk! Get the 2.8 over the 1.8. The car pulls like mad when you floor it!

The oil dip stick needs to be higher and no sealed trannsmission any more!

99 passat dont buy a used one!!!
By nay92

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

soooo i purchased this car with a little over 160,000 on it from ..this is the worst car by far to buy. only way i would ever buy this car again is it its complelty NEW..matienance on this car is soooooo high its crazy. i bought it for $3,250 and put more money into this car then what i bought it for...replaced both catalytic convertors ..o2 sensors.. coil packs...motor mounts..new tires...etc..it was misfiring its just ridiouls when they say everything thing that looks good isnt they are not lying!! just dont buy a used one dont even waste your money...the man that worked on my car said dont ever buy a foreign car over 100,000 miles because you will have to get everything replaced !!

the interior was nice and the way it looks thats it!

cheaper parts..this is NOT a low matinance car.. you need money to drive this when one thing goes bad or breaks its like follow the leader then the next thing goes bad!

I ignored the reviews and bought one anyway, DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!
By dontbuyavw

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I read many mixed reviews about Passats before purchasing mine used. It is a 5 speed with 120,000 miles. That may seem high but 4 a stick it really aint to bad. The car is cute and fun to drive but its a POS! Ive had the car 2 months and have had nothing but problems. The power steering went out, had to replace the pump twice and now its making a winding noise as i turn. Cheap made parts are falling off left and right. Blinker light even fell off as i was driving on the interstate. windows are crap and work only when they want to. now it wont even start! Just makes a wierd ticking noise. Its a cute car, but im going back to my busted and rusted chevy cus thats never quit on me!!! [violative content deleted]!!

The sunroof and woodgrain trim is nice, but you can get that on any car. I like the 3 headrest in the back, but really its a hazard as it blocks vision...I loved this car when i drove it off the lot, but that love quickly turned to hate and I would rather drive my 96 rusted out chevy malibu. I hate this car with a passion!

Stop making them. The newer ones are just as bad, they just look a little prettier.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By kachopsticks

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

My family purchased a 99 passat auto 1.8 turbo back in 2008 with roughly 87,000 miles on it. It has been my daily driver since then and now is about to hit 120,000. Since buying the car we have had to replace the following in approximate order: Power Steering Rack: $800 ABS break module: $250 - (we did the install) Turbo - $1000 Engine Coil Packs - $300 We have also had to replace lots of little things. My headlight assembly shattered randomly while driving. The windshield wiper motor broke ($100 for that part!!!). When replacing it I pulled out a NAPPA motor so it was the second time the part had broke. This is on top of regular maintenance such as tires, oil changes, and breaks.

Hmm... cool features of the car... The directional stick that no longer stays up. Every time i hit a bump I signal to turn left. Sometimes the trunk just will not open. The lights on my AC assembly give out randomly. The paint is pealing. The ac vents break. The seat levers are cranks?? German Engineering I guess... The turbo doesn't know when to boost, and the waste gate basically breaks its self over time. You can feel the car go clunk! One thing I actually do like about this car is the interior. It's sharp looking (mine is the black interior), and it is comfortable even on long drives. Lots of head room.

Also wanted to note, the previous owner had replaced the timing belt and water pump. Every time something breaks the mechanic will tell you it is a "common problem with these cars." So I would say, if you like buying products... that suck, buy this car. I will never in my life buy a VW again. I have owned two cars from the 80's before this that both had way less problems. I had a 89 toyota mr2 with 100000 that didn't break once. For improvements, I would say VW should buy Toyotas or Hondas and put the VW badge on them. German Engineering needs to incorporate some six sigma.