1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1999 Passat Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (33 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Great car!
By federico28

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

bought my car in 2012 with 164k today it has 195k I went from Los Angeles to New York and came back again to L.A without any problem. When I bought the car I replaced the main things to avoid future big problems, I replaced timing belt water pump and a few other little things. After that I only replaced a few small things nothing major until today I had to replace the clutch which lasted more than I expected since I bought the car knowing that the clutch was at only 20%. For the price the year, this car was worth every penny, I use synthetic oil and this car never quit on me or let me down. I believe the key in this car if you bought it used is how the previous owner toked care of the car

Favorite Features

The space that I have since it is a wagon.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the seats!!

Most Low-Maintenance Car I've Ever Owned
By waterwish

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought the 1999 Passat Wagon used in 2001 or so, with 24K miles on it. It had been an executive car at VW in Dearborn. It must have been charmed, because it was the lowest-maintenance car I've ever owned. I hardly had to spend a dime on that thing except for oil changes and some regular, reasonable maintenance. This was before VW decided to make everything so difficult to repair on all their cars, so the dealers could make a fortune off of consumers with silly repairs. I was able to do simple things like headlamp replacements myself. In 2004 I stupidly traded it for a new one at 0% financing and now I'm stuck with a lemon. Don't buy an '04 Passat Wagon!

Favorite Features

Comfort, ride, reliability, mileage, efficiency, lack of breakdowns, low-maintenance.

Excellent car!
By pdxpdx

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought our 1999 Passat Wagon brand new and have been thoroughly satisfied with it since. The fit and finish were superb from the start, a very high quality feel and SO fun to drive! The seats are incredibly comfortable, with firm support, and easy on the driver even on long drives. After 11 years now, we have only had almost no problems, outside of normal wear and tear. Very good gas mileage as well. Very happy with this car!

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, quality feel, great handling.

Great car!
By Kaylene

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love this car. I drove a stick shift, and it was the best car i have ever owned. I would recommend this if you love going fast. GREAT CAR!

Favorite Features

I liked the interior lights, the color of the spedometer at night.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper to fix when something goes wrong.

Never another VW
By Earl

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This has been my worst vehicle I have owned,first Wagon sold in Oklahoma nothing but mechanical problems. Electronic sensors contnue to go out which are expensive to replace, 82000 had timing belt replaced plus other repairs, $1200.00 now all cylinders misfiring, another electronic sensor,$800.00 plus. The timing chain behind cam loose and chewed up plastic shield making shrill sound when running, cost to replace $1100 plus. If I had taken it back to dealer would be much more. If I can sell it after repaired for what it is costing me to repair it will be gone and replaced with an American made car. If you have more money than you need by a VW it will soon be gone.

Favorite Features

NO favorite features

Fun to drive - rough on the wallet
By Jeremy

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is really fun to drive. It handles well. It costs WAY too much to maintain. $900 to replace the timing belt. $500 to replace the brakes. Timing belt slipped and had to get the engine replaced. Found a used one for $3000 as opposed to the $7000 the dealership quoted me. Basically it's not worth having because it costs too much to maintain.

Favorite Features

The handling, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to make their cars affordable to maintain

A real shame
By emdubs

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

My wife and I loved the car early on, but we really should have looked harder. I have replaced the distributor coil pack (failed on the freeway), timing belt, control arms, tie rod ends, clutch, ABS control module. VW is terrible when it comes to customer service and avoiding recalls. A quick search for ABS module will return a lengthy list of horror stories. When it works, it is a great car. The interior is efficient and comfortable (although it shakes and rattles something terrible on rough roads), and all of the extra trunk capacity is great. Especially when coupled with the fuel economy. But, in the end, it just isn't worth it.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior design, cargo capacity

Suggested Improvements

Use better components and build a reliable car. Believe me, I would not have bought this car had I known I'd spend > 50% of the purchase price on repairs in 3 years.

A Disappointment
By Bailey

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

With a baby on the way, my husband and I decided to take the plunge and purchase a newer car in hopes that it would be a safer and more reliable vehicle than what we had. We loved the heated leather seats, sunroof, and spacious hatchback. However, having purchased it in December, it still has temporary tags as it as been in the shop for over 6 weeks. We had to purchase two new engines for the thing, a serpentine belt, turbo, and that is just to get in back on the road. We have spent over $8500 for a car I have barely driven. We should have stuck with what we had.

Favorite Features

From what I remember, it was a comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! (I mean, how on earth could 2 out of 3 engines be duds?)

Faithful and trust worthy
By Steve

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I use my Passat wagon to tow a light boat trailer for my business. I had the tow hitch added aftermarket. This setup has worked beautifully over more than 230,000 miles. I've had no mechanical problems, and with the trailer loaded with rowing shells, I get 24 mpg.

228k and going strong
By stillgoin

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased new and have had reasonably good experience compared to some others. Timing belt tensioner pulley failed at 84k. VW rebuilt top end under warranty. I now change at 75k. Control arms replaced @ 135k, ignition module @ 140k, cruise control stopped working at 170k, driver's window operation is sometimes erratic. Still doesn't burn any oil, clutch is still tight, car is very tight, only one or two rattles. Still get 30 mpg highway. Will run it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Taut German handling; a driver's car. Except for rock chips up front, car looks almost new. Fabric seats have held up flawlessly.

Suggested Improvements

This ride with Honda or Toyota reliability would steal the market.