1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (32 reviews )
Most Low-Maintenance Car I've Ever Owned
By waterwish on 02/11/11 08:19 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought the 1999 Passat Wagon used in 2001 or so, with 24K miles on it. It had been an executive car at VW in Dearborn. It must have been charmed, because it was the lowest-maintenance car I've ever owned. I hardly had to spend a dime on that thing except for oil changes and some regular, reasonable maintenance. This was before VW decided to make everything so difficult to repair on all their cars, so the dealers could make a fortune off of consumers with silly repairs. I was able to do simple things like headlamp replacements myself. In 2004 I stupidly traded it for a new one at 0% financing and now I'm stuck with a lemon. Don't buy an '04 Passat Wagon!

Excellent car!
By pdxpdx on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought our 1999 Passat Wagon brand new and have been thoroughly satisfied with it since. The fit and finish were superb from the start, a very high quality feel and SO fun to drive! The seats are incredibly comfortable, with firm support, and easy on the driver even on long drives. After 11 years now, we have only had almost no problems, outside of normal wear and tear. Very good gas mileage as well. Very happy with this car!

Great car!
By Kaylene on 03/26/10 07:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love this car. I drove a stick shift, and it was the best car i have ever owned. I would recommend this if you love going fast. GREAT CAR!

Never another VW
By Earl on 02/19/10 11:59 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This has been my worst vehicle I have owned,first Wagon sold in Oklahoma nothing but mechanical problems. Electronic sensors contnue to go out which are expensive to replace, 82000 had timing belt replaced plus other repairs, $1200.00 now all cylinders misfiring, another electronic sensor,$800.00 plus. The timing chain behind cam loose and chewed up plastic shield making shrill sound when running, cost to replace $1100 plus. If I had taken it back to dealer would be much more. If I can sell it after repaired for what it is costing me to repair it will be gone and replaced with an American made car. If you have more money than you need by a VW it will soon be gone.

Fun to drive - rough on the wallet
By Jeremy on 06/04/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is really fun to drive. It handles well. It costs WAY too much to maintain. $900 to replace the timing belt. $500 to replace the brakes. Timing belt slipped and had to get the engine replaced. Found a used one for $3000 as opposed to the $7000 the dealership quoted me. Basically it's not worth having because it costs too much to maintain.

A real shame
By emdubs on 10/21/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

My wife and I loved the car early on, but we really should have looked harder. I have replaced the distributor coil pack (failed on the freeway), timing belt, control arms, tie rod ends, clutch, ABS control module. VW is terrible when it comes to customer service and avoiding recalls. A quick search for ABS module will return a lengthy list of horror stories. When it works, it is a great car. The interior is efficient and comfortable (although it shakes and rattles something terrible on rough roads), and all of the extra trunk capacity is great. Especially when coupled with the fuel economy. But, in the end, it just isn't worth it.

A Disappointment
By Bailey on 02/15/08 06:31 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

With a baby on the way, my husband and I decided to take the plunge and purchase a newer car in hopes that it would be a safer and more reliable vehicle than what we had. We loved the heated leather seats, sunroof, and spacious hatchback. However, having purchased it in December, it still has temporary tags as it as been in the shop for over 6 weeks. We had to purchase two new engines for the thing, a serpentine belt, turbo, and that is just to get in back on the road. We have spent over $8500 for a car I have barely driven. We should have stuck with what we had.

Faithful and trust worthy
By Steve on 06/25/07 16:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I use my Passat wagon to tow a light boat trailer for my business. I had the tow hitch added aftermarket. This setup has worked beautifully over more than 230,000 miles. I've had no mechanical problems, and with the trailer loaded with rowing shells, I get 24 mpg.

228k and going strong
By stillgoin on 06/24/07 17:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased new and have had reasonably good experience compared to some others. Timing belt tensioner pulley failed at 84k. VW rebuilt top end under warranty. I now change at 75k. Control arms replaced @ 135k, ignition module @ 140k, cruise control stopped working at 170k, driver's window operation is sometimes erratic. Still doesn't burn any oil, clutch is still tight, car is very tight, only one or two rattles. Still get 30 mpg highway. Will run it until the wheels fall off.

Love It!
By Macrae on 03/16/07 12:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I got this car with 130,000 kms. last year. I took it in for service today with 206,000 with it's first problem (a faulty hazard light switch). During that time it got me from Alberta to Boston, and all over Canada at 130km/hr+ with no issues/maintenance other than oil changes. It runs smoothly, ALWAYS starts (even in -30C), and goes like a bat out of H. My previous car was a '94 VR6. That one lasted 400,000 miles and I'm thinking this one will too.