1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Keep it simple
By kathonic on 06/21/13 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine with 190,000 miles prominently interstate and highway mileage. The car is lumbering around town, but can really move when you need it to (I've already avoided a few accidents because of it). Mechanically everything is easy to replace yourself, and often much cheaper as well, so if your considering the 5-speed V6 I would definitely invest in as much repair materials as you can. If you're good at basic repairs and replacement this car responds well to them. A word of warning however, do NOT skimp on seals and gaskets, make sure they are in good order before buying this car, because they have the most potential to do the greatest harm.

99 passat dont buy a used one!!!
By nay92 on 09/04/11 13:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

soooo i purchased this car with a little over 160,000 on it from ..this is the worst car by far to buy. only way i would ever buy this car again is it its complelty NEW..matienance on this car is soooooo high its crazy. i bought it for $3,250 and put more money into this car then what i bought it for...replaced both catalytic convertors ..o2 sensors.. coil packs...motor mounts..new tires...etc..it was misfiring its just ridiouls when they say everything thing that looks good isnt they are not lying!! just dont buy a used one dont even waste your money...the man that worked on my car said dont ever buy a foreign car over 100,000 miles because you will have to get everything replaced !!

I ignored the reviews and bought one anyway, DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!
By dontbuyavw on 07/01/11 00:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I read many mixed reviews about Passats before purchasing mine used. It is a 5 speed with 120,000 miles. That may seem high but 4 a stick it really aint to bad. The car is cute and fun to drive but its a POS! Ive had the car 2 months and have had nothing but problems. The power steering went out, had to replace the pump twice and now its making a winding noise as i turn. Cheap made parts are falling off left and right. Blinker light even fell off as i was driving on the interstate. windows are crap and work only when they want to. now it wont even start! Just makes a wierd ticking noise. Its a cute car, but im going back to my busted and rusted chevy cus thats never quit on me!!! [violative content deleted]!!

poor performer
By neveragainvw on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

everyone seems to say its fun to drive but i dont see it. acceleration is slow, car just lacks in performance. you have to dig through the entire front end just to get to the engine. and WAY too expensive to fix. would never own another vw. ill stick to the japanese imports and domestics

By New Owner on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

My Vw gets me where i want to be. i drive it alot and it gets great gas mileage. It hasa lot of odd bugs that need to be worked out and it always has something going on but i guess what car with high mileage doesnt have that. Everything radio Wise works.. and heat and air.. so thats fine with me.

Still a Keeper
By stillakeeper on 05/29/10 07:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Had 3 previous Jettas and a 93 Passat VR6, so we're worried about reliability but liked the car. Overall only one real problem. Water pump began slow leak at 65,000 miles so had to do timing belt prematurely, and then the replacement water pump leaked 6 mos later. Dealer had to redo job for free. They showed me the part -- a $65 plastic piece of junk that required a $1600 repair. Otherwise, our has held up well. No other problems, no deterioration. Still looks and performs like a new car. Routine maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. not bad if you use an independent shop.

Great car, expensive to maintain
By JG on 01/29/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I have read many Passat reviews prior to and after I bought my 99 Passat V6 w/5spd manual tranny. I loved the car when I bought it and still do. Having said that, I will agree with others that they are expensive to maintain. Lots of fixes last 3yrs. I have 130k mi on mine now and am ready to purchase again. I would love to move up to a 2007-2008 4Motion Passat but hesitate only because of the fixes I've had to perform in the last three years. Will they happen again? Is the newly redesigned vehicle more reliable and the engine a better design that will need fewer fixes from 90k and up? I still love the design of the Passats, I would just love to have awd traction and an auto tranny

Volkswagen Passat V6 GLS
By Al on 12/01/09 05:25 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Car overall runs very good compare to Honda or Toyota 99. Grips to the road and solid feel. So far no problems and regularly change the oil.

Worst car EVER!
By SLC71 on 06/04/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

BUYER BEWARE! Almost everything has broken (mult. times) on this car ($8K in 6 y - not incl. maint). Mechanics say they see this all the time w/ Passats & VERY spendy to fix! *CRAZY low clearance - 3 belly boots & 2 oil pans *Window motors - repaired/replaced chronically *Doors/locks w/ chronic problems (cylinders, housings, mech., elect., etc.) *Faulty factory sunroof leads to flooding & since electrical is in the floor behind driver, this shorts out the comf. cxl module. *Turn lights have poor quality plastic causing lights to fall out (has happened 3x on each side) *Misc. crap in & out breaks and falls off (latches, dials, etc.) *Mechanic refers to it as "The Dutchman & The Dike"

Bad Bad Bad Car
By Fabi on 03/03/09 08:40 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 90.000 miles on it. Paid $3000,00 and in less than 2 months I had spend $3,600 in parts. The car doesn't go one week without breaking is weird ! is bad If I could go back in time I would never buy it ! after that I had to spend more money because the car is always breaking down. You never know when you will be able to wake up and go to work because you never know if your car will start! CRAZY! MY ADVICE DON'T BUY IT!

1 2 3 4 5 next »