1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Well.... 2 months later back on lot
By kempboy on 08/01/13 19:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and from day one it was a fun car. The car was fun to drive when it worked... First to go was a valve cover and pep boys only sold one that cost me 47 dollars to do and I had to do it. Then I got another 10 miles on the car and oil and antifreeze was pouring out of the car from the oil cooler gasket cost me 350 dollars to fix. Now remember I only drove this car 10 miles before this happened. This car was built well inside parts hold up however mechanically you need to know what your doing or your in trouble. I read reviews and didn't listen I should have these cars are trouble please take my advice and buy something else

Keep it simple
By kathonic on 06/21/13 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine with 190,000 miles prominently interstate and highway mileage. The car is lumbering around town, but can really move when you need it to (I've already avoided a few accidents because of it). Mechanically everything is easy to replace yourself, and often much cheaper as well, so if your considering the 5-speed V6 I would definitely invest in as much repair materials as you can. If you're good at basic repairs and replacement this car responds well to them. A word of warning however, do NOT skimp on seals and gaskets, make sure they are in good order before buying this car, because they have the most potential to do the greatest harm.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CAR
By xoirishlollyxo on 03/13/13 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Since purchasing this car three years ago I have had nothing but problems. I had to replace the clutch @ 110k, the automatic locks stopped working and worst of all-it started to flood and no one can figure where out it's coming from! So poorly designed they have the comfort control module under the drivers feet, obviously where water can get into if the car is leaking. Water has gotten into the comfort control and has effected the entire performance of the car and it stopped starting. I had to pay $2k to have the module completely redone and found out the passats have a problem with leaking through the sunroof! These repairs should have been covered as it is obviously a manufacture defect!

Never again!
By 0osarahhh on 01/04/12 05:54 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 5 months and already cannot afford the up keep! I paid $4000 for it, and have put about $2000 into it now. First I had to replace front brake hoses, right and left control arms, then the thermostat went, now I have oil leaking and a major electrical system problem. Never again will I buy another Volkswagen.

don't be a victim of the dealer
By keith_g on 09/26/11 06:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Like many I have been told for years to stay away from German cars. However my average repair on an American car was always $750. So how bad could it be? I bought a 99 V6 Passat in Nov of 07 with 112K on it. I was the 3rd owner. I have had to fix the ECU, Control Arm and Power steering pump. But with the car this age and miles that did not seem bad to me. Also, if you have a German car and you need a part! LOOK ON LINE for it and save! Example, the ECU “traction control computer” dealer and private shop cost, 1K4-1.5K$. To buy new with 1 year warrantee, “600$”. To take it out myself, have it sent to a company that fixes it and ships it back with a 3 year warrantee, “$168.00” DO YOU SEE MY POINT! I would trust this car to get into it right now and drive to Alaska! Love it! Get the 2.8

99 passat dont buy a used one!!!
By nay92 on 09/04/11 13:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

soooo i purchased this car with a little over 160,000 on it from ..this is the worst car by far to buy. only way i would ever buy this car again is it its complelty NEW..matienance on this car is soooooo high its crazy. i bought it for $3,250 and put more money into this car then what i bought it for...replaced both catalytic convertors ..o2 sensors.. coil packs...motor mounts..new tires...etc..it was misfiring its just ridiouls when they say everything thing that looks good isnt they are not lying!! just dont buy a used one dont even waste your money...the man that worked on my car said dont ever buy a foreign car over 100,000 miles because you will have to get everything replaced !!

I ignored the reviews and bought one anyway, DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!
By dontbuyavw on 07/01/11 00:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I read many mixed reviews about Passats before purchasing mine used. It is a 5 speed with 120,000 miles. That may seem high but 4 a stick it really aint to bad. The car is cute and fun to drive but its a POS! Ive had the car 2 months and have had nothing but problems. The power steering went out, had to replace the pump twice and now its making a winding noise as i turn. Cheap made parts are falling off left and right. Blinker light even fell off as i was driving on the interstate. windows are crap and work only when they want to. now it wont even start! Just makes a wierd ticking noise. Its a cute car, but im going back to my busted and rusted chevy cus thats never quit on me!!! [violative content deleted]!!

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By kachopsticks on 04/24/11 11:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

My family purchased a 99 passat auto 1.8 turbo back in 2008 with roughly 87,000 miles on it. It has been my daily driver since then and now is about to hit 120,000. Since buying the car we have had to replace the following in approximate order: Power Steering Rack: $800 ABS break module: $250 - (we did the install) Turbo - $1000 Engine Coil Packs - $300 We have also had to replace lots of little things. My headlight assembly shattered randomly while driving. The windshield wiper motor broke ($100 for that part!!!). When replacing it I pulled out a NAPPA motor so it was the second time the part had broke. This is on top of regular maintenance such as tires, oil changes, and breaks.

luvin it!
By lilfay on 02/08/11 01:01 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I received my passat by accident, but it was a miracle, when i first drove it i was shocked by the solid drive and how smooth it was, it just felt good, i am blessed to say i have had no problems thus far and i am almost on my 1st year with it, only gripe is the anti freeze leaks and must be replaced every 3weeks or so, its a 250 job i dont wana pay for so ima just keep replacing the antifreeze, but this car atleast lets you know that it is low jus like the over protective gas tank which also alerts u when u r at the 1/8 mark, over all this car has been very good 2 me, i do my scheduled maintainence and it maintains, i am lookin 4ward 2 more german cars and i'll keep this til it's dead :)

used to love her
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had my 99 Passat for about 2 years. She has well over 200,00 miles and i have had no engine problems. however, i have replaced the drive axle for the second time in about 4 months. I'm still not positive if the first replacement was defective or if there is an unlying issue with the car. Other than that however, i have absolutly no complaints!