Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

excellent
By adriannep

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2012 with 150k on it. When bought I did some front suspension work on it and replaced all oil gaskets on it as a piece of mind. With the miles on it I went through the entire car and perfected i. Clutch done cus I wanted Today this car reached 300k miles and it still runs like new. No lights on dash and still great gas mileage. Will never get rid of it until the tires fall of it. German cars are great cars for those who know how to take care of em. They're not for everyone and u cant go to auto zone and buy parts for it and expect it to last. U get what u pay for. I have never been stuck with it and I don't think I ever will. Safe and reliable and good looking car.

Great car!
By federico28

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

bought my car in 2012 with 164k today it has 195k I went from Los Angeles to New York and came back again to L.A without any problem. When I bought the car I replaced the main things to avoid future big problems, I replaced timing belt water pump and a few other little things. After that I only replaced a few small things nothing major until today I had to replace the clutch which lasted more than I expected since I bought the car knowing that the clutch was at only 20%. For the price the year, this car was worth every penny, I use synthetic oil and this car never quit on me or let me down. I believe the key in this car if you bought it used is how the previous owner toked care of the car

The space that I have since it is a wagon.

I hate the seats!!

Well.... 2 months later back on lot
By kempboy

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and from day one it was a fun car. The car was fun to drive when it worked... First to go was a valve cover and pep boys only sold one that cost me 47 dollars to do and I had to do it. Then I got another 10 miles on the car and oil and antifreeze was pouring out of the car from the oil cooler gasket cost me 350 dollars to fix. Now remember I only drove this car 10 miles before this happened. This car was built well inside parts hold up however mechanically you need to know what your doing or your in trouble. I read reviews and didn't listen I should have these cars are trouble please take my advice and buy something else

Gas mileage for a v6 comfort V6

New engine !! These cars arnt worth the time

Keep it simple
By kathonic

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine with 190,000 miles prominently interstate and highway mileage. The car is lumbering around town, but can really move when you need it to (I've already avoided a few accidents because of it). Mechanically everything is easy to replace yourself, and often much cheaper as well, so if your considering the 5-speed V6 I would definitely invest in as much repair materials as you can. If you're good at basic repairs and replacement this car responds well to them. A word of warning however, do NOT skimp on seals and gaskets, make sure they are in good order before buying this car, because they have the most potential to do the greatest harm.

Visibility: If there's one thing I can appreciate is not having to make crazy head movements to check my lanes. Clear sight-lines on all sides and lofty headroom in front and back (based on my 6'4 height). The adjustable height on the seats is very helpful. Stability: I've had to drive in a few severe storms recently with flooding and slick roads this car sticks to the pavement, it can also turn much tighter then I can handle. Trunk space and rear leg room are a big plus as well. It is a good traveling car granted you keep the maintenance up to date.

Engine accessibility is cramped, to change something as simple as spark plugs you must remove the intake line (MAF included) and expansion reservoir in order to reach plug 3 and 6, this also goes for the PCV system. There is plenty of room under the hood so there's no excuse for the odd placement of some of these parts. Better insulation for electronics around the block, some of the plug wires and sensors run directly across the top of the block which averages 190+ degrees at OT. Lots of very loose stripping on multiple wiring harnesses.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CAR
By xoirishlollyxo

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Since purchasing this car three years ago I have had nothing but problems. I had to replace the clutch @ 110k, the automatic locks stopped working and worst of all-it started to flood and no one can figure where out it's coming from! So poorly designed they have the comfort control module under the drivers feet, obviously where water can get into if the car is leaking. Water has gotten into the comfort control and has effected the entire performance of the car and it stopped starting. I had to pay $2k to have the module completely redone and found out the passats have a problem with leaking through the sunroof! These repairs should have been covered as it is obviously a manufacture defect!

None

Correct leaking of water into the car, do not put something that controls so many aspects of the cars functionality where it could potentially get wet (duh!)