Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Old Enough to Vote, and Still My Favorite
By Kathryn

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

After 13 years and 130,000 challenging miles, this is still my favorite car so far. Love the positive, detailed road feel, the steady handling, the get-up-and-go turbo, the seriously reliable FWD - keep the nose pointed in the direction you want to go and you'll get there, whatever the road surface or none. Excellent on tight, rough, winding Greek mountain roads as well as vast super highways at 90 mph. Very easy to learn exactly how long and wide it is, and parallel park on the first try with only millimeters to spare. Also, as a wagon, it can carry a phenomenal amount of Stuff and still have room for a dog and a child, with no change in handling.
Some lesser items have been a problem: the rear window motors ate themselves up years ago and, since I rarely carry more than one passenger, I haven't felt the need to replace them. The sun roof has a mind of its own. Rarely, the transmission can be clunky when downshifting, but usually only once at low rpms, with weeks between; it has done this all its life.
I rated reliability low not because of the car, but because of dealership repair and maintenance support. Be discerning; the nearest dealer did such a number on my car that I'd send it to the crusher before I took it back there. Luckily a new one opened fairly nearby (this is Texas, so 40 miles is 'fairly nearby') and their service is superb. If you need to use a non-dealer, find a VW-trained mechanic. It really does matter.
I have no intention of replacing this car, and don't mind at all paying more than its current market value every few years for routine maintenance and age- and wear-related work (new headlights, vacuum hoses, suspension rebuilds - I do not believe in slowing down for corners). Parts can be expensive, but do not/not try to save by buying after-market cheap parts. It wants and needs OEM. The car has fairly low mileage because I also own a BMW 330 ci convertible, but the VW is my go-to car for any horse-feed hauling, transporting dogs to vets, Costco runs, or iffy weather of any sort: rain, snow, wind.

my favorite car
By m barbehenn

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I took good care of the car, followed the maintenance schedule, and it never let me down. Bought it when my daughter was 2.5, gave it to her when she turned 16, got it back when she went to college. Geared for the highway. Turbo boost at any speed. Still gets 33mpg.

excellent
By adriannep

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2012 with 150k on it. When bought I did some front suspension work on it and replaced all oil gaskets on it as a piece of mind. With the miles on it I went through the entire car and perfected i. Clutch done cus I wanted
Today this car reached 300k miles and it still runs like new. No lights on dash and still great gas mileage.
Will never get rid of it until the tires fall of it.
German cars are great cars for those who know how to take care of em. They're not for everyone and u cant go to auto zone and buy parts for it and expect it to last. U get what u pay for. I have never been stuck with it and I don't think I ever will. Safe and reliable and good looking car.

Great car!
By federico28

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

bought my car in 2012 with 164k today it has 195k I went from Los Angeles to New York and came back again to L.A without any problem.
When I bought the car I replaced the main things to avoid future big problems, I replaced timing belt water pump and a few other little things. After that I only replaced a few small things nothing major until today I had to replace the clutch which lasted more than I expected since I bought the car knowing that the clutch was at only 20%.
For the price the year, this car was worth every penny, I use synthetic oil and this car never quit on me or let me down. I believe the key in this car if you bought it used is how the previous owner toked care of the car

The space that I have since it is a wagon.

I hate the seats!!

Well.... 2 months later back on lot
By kempboy

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and from day one it was a fun car. The car was fun to drive when it worked... First to go was a valve cover and pep boys only sold one that cost me 47 dollars to do and I had to do it. Then I got another 10 miles on the car and oil and antifreeze was pouring out of the car from the oil cooler gasket cost me 350 dollars to fix. Now remember I only drove this car 10 miles before this happened. This car was built well inside parts hold up however mechanically you need to know what your doing or your in trouble. I read reviews and didn't listen I should have these cars are trouble please take my advice and buy something else

Gas mileage for a v6 comfort V6