What a Great Car
By David link on
1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon
I purchased the car new as one of the first VW Wagons to arrive in the US in 1998. The 4-cylinder turbo engine has been a dream. It has great responsiveness, just enough power with an average of 26 miles per gallon in the Washington, DC metro area highways. Overall my ownership experience has been a total pleasure. The car has never let me down and I especially admire how well the interior has held up over the past eight years. The mechanical condition of the car has been excellent and the motor and other subsystems have never experienced any problems. The paint has not faded and the tires have rarely been out of balance, even with the potholes in D.C. area roads. This is a great car!
Favorite Features
I love the winter package with heated front seats and rear view mirrors. Also, I feel that the interior components are well designed and of superior quality as they have remained in like new condition over the past eight years.
Suggested Improvements
I would improve the stock wheel covers as they were not very stylish. Also I would have enjoyed an option to have an optional 3rd row seats like the Volvo wagons can be fitted.