1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (12 reviews )
Piece of Junk
By wasanasan on 09/17/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

In the 10 months that I owned this car it was drivable maybe 2 months out of 10. The front axle snapped, a hole in the gas tank suddenly appeared, it ate oil like there was no tomorrow, electrical problems, smelled like exhaust fumes were coming into the cabin from the engine compartment to the point were I thought I would pass out. This car is a money pit!!!!

still solid after all these years
By boyce on 09/04/09 22:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

4 cyl turbo sedan, on its 11th year, aging beautifully in ca weather. Reasonably reliable, zippy, good looking, great build quality, 24 mpg. What"s not to like? and paid for for the last 5 years.

Never Buy This Car
By jwilkins on 05/10/08 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

The most unreliable, expensive, money-hole of a car I've ever owned. This car, with care and repair, only lasted 145,000 miles. It was a Volkswagen Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, and it was a rip off. And to add insult to injury, the Volkswagen folks are really rude.

Good If You Don't Keep It
By desplanes987 on 05/25/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

My wife and I bought this car in 1998 b/c we wanted a safe vehicle for our first child. Fast forward to May 24, 2007. It now has 96,000 miles on it. It is on its 2nd factory radio, 2nd set of door locks (all replaced after 3 years). Both back doors were just partly rewired. The ignition system cost me $900 last year and now the turbo is dead ! Its $1710 total replacement cost is covered under the 10/100 warranty. Lucky! Overall, I don't recommend the car. Unless I have $20K to throw away every 2 years on a fresh Audi or VW, I won't ever buy one again.

What a Great Car
By David link on 03/12/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car new as one of the first VW Wagons to arrive in the US in 1998. The 4-cylinder turbo engine has been a dream. It has great responsiveness, just enough power with an average of 26 miles per gallon in the Washington, DC metro area highways. Overall my ownership experience has been a total pleasure. The car has never let me down and I especially admire how well the interior has held up over the past eight years. The mechanical condition of the car has been excellent and the motor and other subsystems have never experienced any problems. The paint has not faded and the tires have rarely been out of balance, even with the potholes in D.C. area roads. This is a great car!

Not Worth It
By kranest on 01/14/06 01:09 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I paid $18,000 for 6 labored years of the 1998 Volkswagen Passat. I just traded it in today for a new Subaru Legacy - gladly. The turbo engine is a problem as well as other glitches. Expect repairs - you'll be using that 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty if you bought it new.

Great Wagon
By Clayvb on 12/18/04 22:20 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is simply great, unless more horses under the hood is essential for your well-being. I have had no complaints - a few pricey repairs, but have never been stranded. The gas mileage has remained high, including >30 mpg on the freeway. Would buy another VW in a heartbeat.

Great car minor problems stacking up
By mastermonkey on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Good car. Love the interior. 1.8 Turbo engine saves the power-challenged 4- cylinder. Great for freeway, or higher speeds, not so good in the city. Little problems killing us. Two cloth trim pieces unglued - need to fix. The tiptronics is broken - need to fix. Window won't roll down - need to fix the second time. exterior trim piece caught on neighbor door and is lose - need to fix. The driver's side door lock free spins, so I can't close my windows with the key anymore :( - need to fix

What a let Down
By Donal on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

Two transmisions, two turbo chargers, a few miles on foot and 200 miles on a tow truck, have dramatically changed what we think about our practical, but sporty, kicking sound, good looking V.W. My wife still drives ours to work (4 miles one way) The children and I won't get in it.; Actually, at this time we are borrowing my fathers car. The Passat is in the driveway; it won't start.

'98 Passat Wagon
By wileybosco on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I'm coming up on 5 years with my Passat wagon and hoping to go as many more. I really enjoy this car. It's solid, practical, stylish (for a wagon), fun to drive, and despite the mixed reviews, I'm quite happy with the reliability. I did have the control arms replaced on one side at 40k miles because they were creaking, but VW took care of us on that and we've had no other notable problems.