1997 Volkswagen Passat 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - I'll miss my VW

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDi Wagon (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual)

I'll miss my VW
By Disappointed VW fan on

1997 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I bought my VW used and I was okay with having to replace the clutch almost immediately as well as having a rod in the trunk snap which made the trunk impossible to use until I found a mechanic willing to weld the rod back together. But after 9 months of VW ownership, I'm calling it quits. I love VWs and will look for them in the future, but definitely with more skeptical eyes. Besides the normal repairs and somewhat non-normal repairs, I had an air flow sensor malfunction, and needed to replace the throttle valve because my Passat was driving itself. 3 weeks after those repairs, I either get to replace the heater core, fix a radiator problem, and replace the oxygen sensor or call it quits.

Favorite Features

The style, engine, it's reliablity between the major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

I've had my VW for 9 months and in the course of 1 month replaced the air flow sensor and the throttle valve and then found out I needed a heater core, oxygen sensor and developed a radiator problem - it should be self- explanatory what improvements I would make. But hey, the engine's still good.