1997 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - My Passat experience

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX V6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

My Passat experience
By Sam in Agawam, MA on

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

There is not an aspect of this car I have not had problems with in six months of ownership. The original tires were awful (Goodyear') & the replacement Dunlops helped quite a bit. The wheel bearings, inner tie rod ends, ball joints, and transmission output bearings all needed to be replaced at only 50 thousand miles! The car is currently in the shop having the transmission removed on account of a worn gear that determines the speedometer reading. The engine knocks when hot, despite the new coil pack I installed on the car six months ago (the original was cracked.) I can't wait to trade this in.

Favorite Features

I like the look and feel of the car. It also rides like a real solid car, which is one of the reasons that I unfortunately purchased it. The gas mileage is mediocre...poor for a smaller car. With the automatic transmission, much of the engine's power is lost as well.

Suggested Improvements

Standard transaxle is a must. Reliable drivability and durable undercar parts. And how about an engine that doesn't smoke as 50k miles while we're at it...