1997 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Love my Passat

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX V6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

Love my Passat
By Love my VW on

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 GLX Passat (manual trans.) new and have taken great care of it. I LOVE this car. I've had few minor issues, and infrequently need service. I call it my Poor Man's BMW, as I liked it MUCH better than the used BMWs I test drove at the time. It's spacious, fun to drive, reliable, and has held up incredibly well. The only consistently poorly built item is the cup holder, of which I went through three before I gave up. Mileage could be better, and it is fairly noisy on the highway. Very spacious, huge trunk space w/ folding rear seats, and the leather has held up quite well. I highly recommend this car, if it's been taken care of properly. I'm at 120,000 miles and going!

Sporty handling, stock sound system still sounds great, huge trunk, good power (I have a manual), quality leather (if well maintained), heater and A/C are almost too powerful, maintains well.

Noisy on the highway, aerodynamics are funky with rear windows rolled down on the highway - creates a strange air pocket/pressure, cup holder is poor, if you use the A/C and leave the car sitting the smell of the A/C when turned back on is musty, acceleration in 1st and 2nd is jumpy in traffic.