Hope It Lasts Forever!
By VW4Life on
1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan
I have owned nothing but VW's. They all have been reliable and great to drive. In 2000 we needed a bigger car as we were expecting our first child. We drove the new Jetta, and but it seemed small and sort of cheap. Then we saw the beautiful Indigo Passat GLX. It is a big, roomy sedan which drives and handles like a dream. The VR6 engine is the best thing VW has ever designed. The check engine or ABS lights have NEVER been on in this car. I bought it with 38,000 miles on it, now it has 96,000 miles and drives like the day I took it home. The first owner probably neglected a few things. It needed brakes, rotors, battery, etc. that first year, but the dealer covered everything. Find a good mechanic, do your maintenance, and this car will last!
Favorite Features
The handling, interior, and trunk space. This car is very safe, it's a tank. My wife nearly flipped it in snow and after it was pulled from the ditch, an alignment was all that it needed. It drives beautifully. If I wanted boring, I would have bought a Honda or Toyota. The 5-speed manual transmission is the only way to go!
Suggested Improvements
I replaced all of the door handles, window regulators, and headliner. The cup holders broke long ago. The locks will freeze in winter, so put her in the garage. These are small prices to pay for a true German sedan. Buy a Saab if you really want frequent, expensive repairs to go along with your nice ride. \