Used 1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Love my Passat
By Love my VW

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 GLX Passat (manual trans.) new and have taken great care of it. I LOVE this car. I've had few minor issues, and infrequently need service. I call it my Poor Man's BMW, as I liked it MUCH better than the used BMWs I test drove at the time. It's spacious, fun to drive, reliable, and has held up incredibly well. The only consistently poorly built item is the cup holder, of which I went through three before I gave up. Mileage could be better, and it is fairly noisy on the highway. Very spacious, huge trunk space w/ folding rear seats, and the leather has held up quite well. I highly recommend this car, if it's been taken care of properly. I'm at 120,000 miles and going!

Sporty handling, stock sound system still sounds great, huge trunk, good power (I have a manual), quality leather (if well maintained), heater and A/C are almost too powerful, maintains well.

Noisy on the highway, aerodynamics are funky with rear windows rolled down on the highway - creates a strange air pocket/pressure, cup holder is poor, if you use the A/C and leave the car sitting the smell of the A/C when turned back on is musty, acceleration in 1st and 2nd is jumpy in traffic.

great German car!
By creed hyatt

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a year ago, and have really enjoyed driving. Auto trans can shift hard occasionally, had some problems with the ABS & Check Engine lights coming on - but that could be because my mechanic couldn't figure it out - I never found any performance problems when these lights were on. Overall its a great car, very comfortable, plenty of power. My only complaint is the lousy gas mileage - I have never gotten the claimed MPG.

Comfort, power

No glovebox - what genius thought that was something reasonable to do without?

Crappy Passat
By Aarons

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is being repaired every month. Power Windows keep breaking, VW known defect, suspension, bearings, wheel hub. Looks great but what a piece of expensive crap.

not too shabby
By vdubtuna

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

the auto trans shifts awkward sometimes but overall at good daily driver. powerful but nimble enough to handle city driving. i would reccommend the manual version since i know some people with it with almot no problems.

comfort, leather feels good, enough room for the family.

plastic headlights need to be changed to glass ones to make night driving safer.

Amazin car i love it
By James Farese

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Amazin Handling i love this car

Fast but Safe

Little faster make the car lighter with better Mpg