1997 Volkswagen Passat TDi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1997 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Disappointed
By sbgoff

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Car burned oil at 5 qts per 5000 miles - dealer rebuild engine - never the same. significant electrical problems - electric windows in rear don't work - doors won't open - check engine light on constantly - a lot of cheap plastic parts in interior that broke within 1st year and were not under warranty - Electrical issues aware of by manufacturer but not covered by warranty

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't buy another one

Could of Been So Good!
By Lorale

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 20,000 miles on it. Love the room and drive. Had way too many problems with the door handles that all had to be replaced! (at $343 each!) The interior door handles peeled, the engine light and ABS light came on and off. Had them checked, and dealer said, "No problem found". I found the car to have a ridged ride. Would of loved to have a glove compartment. This car could of been GREAT!! I wouldn't buy another one, because of the many small, but costly problems!

Favorite Features

The car has so much room inside. I love the way it drove and looked!

Suggested Improvements

I would love to have more storage, and better quality material on the doors,inside and out. There is definetly a problem with the engine lights and ABS system.

Reliable Daily Driver
By Northern VA Passat

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Passat with 15,000 miles, it now has 34,000. I have not had one problem, other than bad factory tires. This car works perfectly, and is a good family, or commuter car. It is very bouncy however, not meant for hard cornering. It is quiet and luxury is at hand. A good buy.

Favorite Features

Booming after removal of snorkel pipe. Luxury Seats

Suggested Improvements

Vacuum driven locking system reminds the driver that he/she is driving a MkIII. Bouncy Bouncy. A real pig when A/C is operating. Sits too high.

Volkswagens are the best cars
By JimBo

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This is the second VW product I have owned and it has lived up to every expectation I have. I was surprised when the right front wheel bearing went out at 50K, but that was easily replaced. A quick V6 that gets 25 mpg, an easy to read dashboard, comfortable riding car. We even took the family vacation with this car, a very large trunk and the room in the back seat is enough the kids can't kick the front seats. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay away. One more thing, I was rear ended and only the bumper cover was replaced on my car, the other car sustained much more damage. I feel very safe in this car.

Favorite Features

The shifting is easy and powerful and the car handles very well. Also enjoy how much cabin and trunk space in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Add a glove box and some better drink holders. One touch on the power sunroof would be nice as well.

Gotta love the VR6
By Rick in Texas

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in June of 2001. It only had 15,000 miles on it and it still smelt new! I love it, power is very impressive with the help of a K&M Supercharged Airfilter (which was tough putting in). I have had ZERO problems with it except for the ABS light that has come on about 5 times for a few minutes then goes off. Very quick for what it is and on my last trip (365 miles) I got 26.6 miles to the gallon. In town I normally just get around 18 because I do drive it a bit hard. Wish I had the electric seats because there are way to many adjustments when someone else drives it. Love it!

Favorite Features

VR6, Stereo, drive feel

Suggested Improvements

Spoiler, 16" wheels or larger!

My Passat experience
By Sam in Agawam, MA

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

There is not an aspect of this car I have not had problems with in six months of ownership. The original tires were awful (Goodyear') & the replacement Dunlops helped quite a bit. The wheel bearings, inner tie rod ends, ball joints, and transmission output bearings all needed to be replaced at only 50 thousand miles! The car is currently in the shop having the transmission removed on account of a worn gear that determines the speedometer reading. The engine knocks when hot, despite the new coil pack I installed on the car six months ago (the original was cracked.) I can't wait to trade this in.

Favorite Features

I like the look and feel of the car. It also rides like a real solid car, which is one of the reasons that I unfortunately purchased it. The gas mileage is mediocre...poor for a smaller car. With the automatic transmission, much of the engine's power is lost as well.

Suggested Improvements

Standard transaxle is a must. Reliable drivability and durable undercar parts. And how about an engine that doesn't smoke as 50k miles while we're at it...