1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Love my Passat
By Love my VW on 03/05/05 20:22 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 GLX Passat (manual trans.) new and have taken great care of it. I LOVE this car. I've had few minor issues, and infrequently need service. I call it my Poor Man's BMW, as I liked it MUCH better than the used BMWs I test drove at the time. It's spacious, fun to drive, reliable, and has held up incredibly well. The only consistently poorly built item is the cup holder, of which I went through three before I gave up. Mileage could be better, and it is fairly noisy on the highway. Very spacious, huge trunk space w/ folding rear seats, and the leather has held up quite well. I highly recommend this car, if it's been taken care of properly. I'm at 120,000 miles and going!

great German car!
By creed hyatt on 11/17/04 17:53 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a year ago, and have really enjoyed driving. Auto trans can shift hard occasionally, had some problems with the ABS & Check Engine lights coming on - but that could be because my mechanic couldn't figure it out - I never found any performance problems when these lights were on. Overall its a great car, very comfortable, plenty of power. My only complaint is the lousy gas mileage - I have never gotten the claimed MPG.

Crappy Passat
By Aarons on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is being repaired every month. Power Windows keep breaking, VW known defect, suspension, bearings, wheel hub. Looks great but what a piece of expensive crap.

not too shabby
By vdubtuna on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

the auto trans shifts awkward sometimes but overall at good daily driver. powerful but nimble enough to handle city driving. i would reccommend the manual version since i know some people with it with almot no problems.

Amazin car i love it
By James Farese on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Amazin Handling i love this car

I hated this car!
By Shushumommy on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I lasted less than a year in this car. I bought it used at 55,000 miles. Many things went wrong right off the bat, but the dealer encouraged me to hang in there with the car and made quite a few of the repairs on the house. Still, I did not trust the car or feel safe in it, and everytime a repair was needed I held my breath. I am turning this car in today and couldn't be happier.

passat
By aja_614 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has a good amount of power. The space in side the car is much more than you will expect.

Poor Man's Bimmer
By Seekrr on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat on a trade-in and what a difference from the Mazda I drove! Solid, responsive, balanced...yeah, a little underpowered with the auto, but a blast down the hwy. or back roads. Sure it needs fixing more than a Ford and parts aren't cheap (not to mention my dealer sucked!), but for pure driving enjoyment, I couldn't have made a better choice!

POOR DESIGN
By ANTI VW'S on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 60k miles on it, BIG mistake! I looked everywhere for this car Why??? I loved the car for some reason. Today, this is the WORST car I have ever owned, high repairs all the way. I have spent over 4000k in repairs in the past 3 years. $1500 was out of my pocket.Check engine light has comes on every month sometimes every week. Water pump exploded in a drive through. Belts snapped. A/C went out. Door handle on drivers side is crazy glues on. Interior light is glued on in back seat passanger area. Power Mirrors are alomst done Power Windows are off track and have been repaired. Fog Lights cracked with rocks hitting them. Car was leaking coolant.

Top of the line VW?
By Lori Cox on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Love driving the car, hate the design. You would think buying the top of the line VW would insure top of the line quality. Not so. All four door handles have broken (some more than once), power windows failing, and we've had several mechanical failures before 50000 miles. Dealers are inept and rude. Dealer parts and labor are astronomical. I will never buy a VW again.