Used 1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Anybody Want to Buy My Passat Wagon?
By poskarp

1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Although purchased used, this car was great until it reached its fifth birthday. Over the last five years this car has nickeled and dimed (or more accurately $500 and $1,000) us to death, especially with the pesky check engine light that has been diagnosed at least three times. I've put more into this wagon over the last five years than I did for my last two Toyotas which had double the mileage. So much for my European love affair, I'm going back to the orient where my cars have been reliable to over 150,000 miles

Favorite Features

How it has lots of room both for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Has VW ever heard of "continual improvement"? If not their engineers should take a course on how to build a reliable car.

Lack of Quality
By NA

1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1997 Volkswagen Passat new in 1997 after having good luck with a 1989 Golf. However, the Passat has been of poor quality and I will never purchase another VW. Problems include the door handles, power windows and front end (tie rods, bearings). I get nervous when the "check engine light" is not on (faulty air pump, does not impact drving). It is a great handling car, it is roomy and I like the VR6 engine with the 5-speed manual transmission. I am at 135,000 miles and the next major repair will force me into a Honda or Toyota dealership.

Favorite Features

Handling, VR6 engine, and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality!

Hate this VW Passat
By Hate my VW

1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

How can I describe the worst car experience of my life. We bought this car used in '99 with 60K miles on it. Admittedly, we have driven many many highway miles and the car now has 196K on it but everything, everything has broken. We've replaced the brakes four times, two "super reliable Audi" transmissions (don't buy that sales feature), constant problems with door handles, constant front end problems, etc etc. We thought the car was cool and powerful- the best compromise for a growing family buying a station wagon. What we ended up with was a huge money pit that has not had the check engine light off for more than a week since we bought it.

Favorite Features

Nice handling and powerful engine... good storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical should be replaced. It's all bad, has all failed for us, and costs a fortune to replace from consistently horrible dealers.

Sporty but unreliable
By So Cal Passat Driver

1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Our Passat is like a race car; great high-performance fun to drive, but spends a lot of time in the mechanic's pit. Since buying ours in 1997 problems we’ve had include: 7 power window repairs; 4 oil leak repairs (still leaks oil); peeling interior door handles (replaced twice, still peeling); side-mirror control failure (twice); heater core failure; alternator failure; air conditioning failure (still doesn't work—real fun in summer!); check engine light regularly comes on (VW dealer will then charge you to fix problem, then the light comes on again as you're driving away-- 6 times so far for us, and the light is on again).

Favorite Features

Snappy, sporty car. A delight to drive and roomy, too.

Suggested Improvements

Improve poor quality of materials. Improve abysmal overall reliability.

Love this car
By DSL

1997 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I have been really happy with my 1997 Volkswagon Passat Wagon. The only feature that I don't like is the electronic locking system which freezes every winter. Otherwise, it's a fun and good handling car.

Favorite Features

handling, looks

Suggested Improvements

Change the electronic locking system.