1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Update to Hope it lasts forever!
By VW4Life on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Well, we're headed towards 2011, and my trusty Passat now has 138,000 miles. This car STILL drives like the day I bought it over ten years and 100,000 miles ago. I'm bored and want something newer, as the plastic trim pieces are falling off and the door handles / window regulators continue to be flaky. However, from an economic AND enjoyment standpoint, I simply cannot beat this car.

Great car
By matt on 03/09/10 08:32 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car at a auction. I had no idea what it was like. I kno it sounds dumb. But I got it and it ran great! (even though it has almost 200,000 miles on it) but its my first car and I have little problems with it. The main problems consist of the two passenger doors, the back which does not open at all nor does the window work, and the front that only opens from the inside. But im not too worried about those... Seeing how I don't sit there. Overall its a great first car. I even raced a 1999 eclipse and blew it away.

still runs, but i"m mechanical
By tim9999 on 10/19/09 09:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought used for cheap, needed clutch, bad A/C. The clutch was 600.00 from the clutch guy I know. Heater core went out at 120k this is typical i guess. Here's what I did: disconnected heater core, ran heater hoses to A/C heat exchanger, (A/C bad anyway...) Now heats ok. Needed water pump at 130k. Runs strong, handles great for big car. Nice leather interior. Huge inside area. Easy to work on compact vr6. Have done all work myself except clutch.

1st luxury car
By soccerfreak11 on 03/07/09 09:35 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 74,000 miles and have had a few problems. 1) EGR valve. No idea what so ever how to fix it. 2) rear window doesn't work. It is a solid car with good MPG, but could be better. Tons of interior room and trunk space. Love the sunroof. The radio goes into SAFE mode every time the battery is disconnected though. Now it is permanently locked and only the dealer can open it. The exterior design is a definite draw back. Over all, it is a great family car.

German for "Piece of Junk"
By theronald on 10/23/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car was really nice for about the first 3 years that we owned it. Ever since that point, it has had many nagging, expensive, and repetitive failures. (Among those too numerous to mention - Door Handles, Controller, O2 Sensors, Belt-tensioner) The Yellow light has been on more than it has been "off". Were it not for the fact that I was unemployed on & off for most of the past 4 years, we would have "dumped" it on some other poor sap. Have talked to several other GLX owners - most had same problems. Their highly-touted "German Engineers" should all be fired, and replaced by the guys from GM. (I've never had to replace all 4 door handles on a Buick twice!)

Happy Long Time Owner
By John on 01/28/07 09:36 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my manual 1997 Passat new and always took good care of it and did the regular scheduled maintenance. It has over 100,000 miles and it has been great. It is now getting a little long in the tooth and I'm evaluating new cars for purchase. This car has been very good for me and very economical to keep for the past ten years.

Hope It Lasts Forever!
By VW4Life on 08/26/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned nothing but VW's. They all have been reliable and great to drive. In 2000 we needed a bigger car as we were expecting our first child. We drove the new Jetta, and but it seemed small and sort of cheap. Then we saw the beautiful Indigo Passat GLX. It is a big, roomy sedan which drives and handles like a dream. The VR6 engine is the best thing VW has ever designed. The check engine or ABS lights have NEVER been on in this car. I bought it with 38,000 miles on it, now it has 96,000 miles and drives like the day I took it home. The first owner probably neglected a few things. It needed brakes, rotors, battery, etc. that first year, but the dealer covered everything. Find a good mechanic, do your maintenance, and this car will last!

First car.
By Phill on 02/28/06 18:44 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am a new driver and this is the first car that I have bought. I didn't really pick this car, it was more seredipity that i found it. It was everything I was looking for, relativly cheap (under $4,000) spacious, and not an American car. At first it was great, then a couple of problems occured. Nothing too serious, a dead battery because of a broken relay, an alternator that stopped working. These are significant problems yes, but easly fixed and they are not harmful to the car or people inside of the car. Overall the car is very exciting, fast, and handles beautifully. Even with its problems it has been worth it. I couldnt have asked for anything more.

Great Car if You Take Care of It
By f1forkvr6 on 01/24/06 10:47 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Like any other car, if you take care of the little things, the Passat will be reliable for as long as you wish to drive it. I have nearly 300,000 miles on mine, and other than VW's self destructing heater core, it's never, ever left me stranded. Its fuel economy is okay on the highway (27-30), but what makes this car shine is it's fun-to-drive factor. It's pretty nimble for it's size, and offers very predictable but sporty handling. It has enough room to move a small office, carry a 9 x 12 rug, or a Christmas tree (inside, trunk closed), and offers rear seat passengers enough leg-room to cross their legs withough kicking the driver! this is an all around good, fun, value.

Passat Piece of Junk
By Former Passat Driver on 12/10/05 18:07 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Volkswagen Passat is a completely unexpected bad product from Germany! This is the biggest hunk of junk we have ever owned. We bought it with resonable miles on it. Shortly after owning it all the electronic issues began. VW mechanics removed entire dash to fix some of the problems which reset digital mileage. There goes the equity! I have had so many problems with this thing (I agree with all other comments made here..too many to list...). We thought many times about finding one of the hurricanes and leaving it in the heart of the storm. It has finally died and we will not be sad to say goodbye! Buyer beware...looking at the other years after this car, it doesn't look like Passat has fixed any issues with this car!