Used 1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Update to Hope it lasts forever!
By VW4Life

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Well, we're headed towards 2011, and my trusty Passat now has 138,000 miles. This car STILL drives like the day I bought it over ten years and 100,000 miles ago. I'm bored and want something newer, as the plastic trim pieces are falling off and the door handles / window regulators continue to be flaky. However, from an economic AND enjoyment standpoint, I simply cannot beat this car.

Great car
By matt

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car at a auction. I had no idea what it was like. I kno it sounds dumb. But I got it and it ran great! (even though it has almost 200,000 miles on it) but its my first car and I have little problems with it. The main problems consist of the two passenger doors, the back which does not open at all nor does the window work, and the front that only opens from the inside. But im not too worried about those... Seeing how I don't sit there. Overall its a great first car. I even raced a 1999 eclipse and blew it away.

Has power when you need it.

DOORS NEED TO BE IMPROVED!!!!

still runs, but i"m mechanical
By tim9999

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought used for cheap, needed clutch, bad A/C. The clutch was 600.00 from the clutch guy I know. Heater core went out at 120k this is typical i guess. Here's what I did: disconnected heater core, ran heater hoses to A/C heat exchanger, (A/C bad anyway...) Now heats ok. Needed water pump at 130k. Runs strong, handles great for big car. Nice leather interior. Huge inside area. Easy to work on compact vr6. Have done all work myself except clutch.

Nic power, smooth ride, low center of gravity feels like a smaller car.

Better quality on things like door/window stuff.

1st luxury car
By soccerfreak11

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 74,000 miles and have had a few problems. 1) EGR valve. No idea what so ever how to fix it. 2) rear window doesn't work. It is a solid car with good MPG, but could be better. Tons of interior room and trunk space. Love the sunroof. The radio goes into SAFE mode every time the battery is disconnected though. Now it is permanently locked and only the dealer can open it. The exterior design is a definite draw back. Over all, it is a great family car.

Sunroof, Over powerful A/C and heat. Heated leather seats, MFA.

Cheap interior and exterior design needs to be fixed, EGR DEFENITLY!!!!!!, locking system and radio SAFE mode.

German for "Piece of Junk"
By theronald

1997 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car was really nice for about the first 3 years that we owned it. Ever since that point, it has had many nagging, expensive, and repetitive failures. (Among those too numerous to mention - Door Handles, Controller, O2 Sensors, Belt-tensioner) The Yellow light has been on more than it has been "off". Were it not for the fact that I was unemployed on & off for most of the past 4 years, we would have "dumped" it on some other poor sap. Have talked to several other GLX owners - most had same problems. Their highly-touted "German Engineers" should all be fired, and replaced by the guys from GM. (I've never had to replace all 4 door handles on a Buick twice!)

It IS roomy inside

Fire the idiots who decided to use Bosch Engine Controls, plus the completely incompetent, inept idiots who designed and approved the design of the door handles.