1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1997 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Update to Hope it lasts forever!
By VW4Life

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Well, we're headed towards 2011, and my trusty Passat now has 138,000 miles. This car STILL drives like the day I bought it over ten years and 100,000 miles ago. I'm bored and want something newer, as the plastic trim pieces are falling off and the door handles / window regulators continue to be flaky. However, from an economic AND enjoyment standpoint, I simply cannot beat this car.

Great car
By matt

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car at a auction. I had no idea what it was like. I kno it sounds dumb. But I got it and it ran great! (even though it has almost 200,000 miles on it) but its my first car and I have little problems with it. The main problems consist of the two passenger doors, the back which does not open at all nor does the window work, and the front that only opens from the inside. But im not too worried about those... Seeing how I don't sit there. Overall its a great first car. I even raced a 1999 eclipse and blew it away.

Favorite Features

Has power when you need it.

Suggested Improvements

DOORS NEED TO BE IMPROVED!!!!

still runs, but i"m mechanical
By tim9999

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought used for cheap, needed clutch, bad A/C. The clutch was 600.00 from the clutch guy I know. Heater core went out at 120k this is typical i guess. Here's what I did: disconnected heater core, ran heater hoses to A/C heat exchanger, (A/C bad anyway...) Now heats ok. Needed water pump at 130k. Runs strong, handles great for big car. Nice leather interior. Huge inside area. Easy to work on compact vr6. Have done all work myself except clutch.

Favorite Features

Nic power, smooth ride, low center of gravity feels like a smaller car.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality on things like door/window stuff.

1st luxury car
By soccerfreak11

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 74,000 miles and have had a few problems. 1) EGR valve. No idea what so ever how to fix it. 2) rear window doesn't work. It is a solid car with good MPG, but could be better. Tons of interior room and trunk space. Love the sunroof. The radio goes into SAFE mode every time the battery is disconnected though. Now it is permanently locked and only the dealer can open it. The exterior design is a definite draw back. Over all, it is a great family car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Over powerful A/C and heat. Heated leather seats, MFA.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior and exterior design needs to be fixed, EGR DEFENITLY!!!!!!, locking system and radio SAFE mode.

German for "Piece of Junk"
By theronald

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car was really nice for about the first 3 years that we owned it. Ever since that point, it has had many nagging, expensive, and repetitive failures. (Among those too numerous to mention - Door Handles, Controller, O2 Sensors, Belt-tensioner) The Yellow light has been on more than it has been "off". Were it not for the fact that I was unemployed on & off for most of the past 4 years, we would have "dumped" it on some other poor sap. Have talked to several other GLX owners - most had same problems. Their highly-touted "German Engineers" should all be fired, and replaced by the guys from GM. (I've never had to replace all 4 door handles on a Buick twice!)

Favorite Features

It IS roomy inside

Suggested Improvements

Fire the idiots who decided to use Bosch Engine Controls, plus the completely incompetent, inept idiots who designed and approved the design of the door handles.

I'll miss my VW
By Disappointed VW fan

1997 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I bought my VW used and I was okay with having to replace the clutch almost immediately as well as having a rod in the trunk snap which made the trunk impossible to use until I found a mechanic willing to weld the rod back together. But after 9 months of VW ownership, I'm calling it quits. I love VWs and will look for them in the future, but definitely with more skeptical eyes. Besides the normal repairs and somewhat non-normal repairs, I had an air flow sensor malfunction, and needed to replace the throttle valve because my Passat was driving itself. 3 weeks after those repairs, I either get to replace the heater core, fix a radiator problem, and replace the oxygen sensor or call it quits.

Favorite Features

The style, engine, it's reliablity between the major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

I've had my VW for 9 months and in the course of 1 month replaced the air flow sensor and the throttle valve and then found out I needed a heater core, oxygen sensor and developed a radiator problem - it should be self- explanatory what improvements I would make. But hey, the engine's still good.

Anybody Want to Buy My Passat Wagon?
By poskarp

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Although purchased used, this car was great until it reached its fifth birthday. Over the last five years this car has nickeled and dimed (or more accurately $500 and $1,000) us to death, especially with the pesky check engine light that has been diagnosed at least three times. I've put more into this wagon over the last five years than I did for my last two Toyotas which had double the mileage. So much for my European love affair, I'm going back to the orient where my cars have been reliable to over 150,000 miles

Favorite Features

How it has lots of room both for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Has VW ever heard of "continual improvement"? If not their engineers should take a course on how to build a reliable car.

Happy Long Time Owner
By John

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my manual 1997 Passat new and always took good care of it and did the regular scheduled maintenance. It has over 100,000 miles and it has been great. It is now getting a little long in the tooth and I'm evaluating new cars for purchase. This car has been very good for me and very economical to keep for the past ten years.

Favorite Features

The power / speed, style and leather interior, large rear seat leg room and large trunk, and good sound system. My car has always started and never has had to be towed or rescued. It has excellent heat and a/c.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a better cup holder and glove box.

Hope It Lasts Forever!
By VW4Life

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned nothing but VW's. They all have been reliable and great to drive. In 2000 we needed a bigger car as we were expecting our first child. We drove the new Jetta, and but it seemed small and sort of cheap. Then we saw the beautiful Indigo Passat GLX. It is a big, roomy sedan which drives and handles like a dream. The VR6 engine is the best thing VW has ever designed. The check engine or ABS lights have NEVER been on in this car. I bought it with 38,000 miles on it, now it has 96,000 miles and drives like the day I took it home. The first owner probably neglected a few things. It needed brakes, rotors, battery, etc. that first year, but the dealer covered everything. Find a good mechanic, do your maintenance, and this car will last!

Favorite Features

The handling, interior, and trunk space. This car is very safe, it's a tank. My wife nearly flipped it in snow and after it was pulled from the ditch, an alignment was all that it needed. It drives beautifully. If I wanted boring, I would have bought a Honda or Toyota. The 5-speed manual transmission is the only way to go!

Suggested Improvements

I replaced all of the door handles, window regulators, and headliner. The cup holders broke long ago. The locks will freeze in winter, so put her in the garage. These are small prices to pay for a true German sedan. Buy a Saab if you really want frequent, expensive repairs to go along with your nice ride. \

First car.
By Phill

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am a new driver and this is the first car that I have bought. I didn't really pick this car, it was more seredipity that i found it. It was everything I was looking for, relativly cheap (under $4,000) spacious, and not an American car. At first it was great, then a couple of problems occured. Nothing too serious, a dead battery because of a broken relay, an alternator that stopped working. These are significant problems yes, but easly fixed and they are not harmful to the car or people inside of the car. Overall the car is very exciting, fast, and handles beautifully. Even with its problems it has been worth it. I couldnt have asked for anything more.

Favorite Features

2.8 liter VR6. When you step on it, it goes. And the heated seats are great in the winter. Trunk has a lot of space. Rear passanger seats have a lot of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage is pretty low. 18/26 is not that much, but then again it does have a 2.8 liter VR6...