1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Update to Hope it lasts forever!
By VW4Life on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Well, we're headed towards 2011, and my trusty Passat now has 138,000 miles. This car STILL drives like the day I bought it over ten years and 100,000 miles ago. I'm bored and want something newer, as the plastic trim pieces are falling off and the door handles / window regulators continue to be flaky. However, from an economic AND enjoyment standpoint, I simply cannot beat this car.

Great car
By matt on 03/09/10 08:32 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car at a auction. I had no idea what it was like. I kno it sounds dumb. But I got it and it ran great! (even though it has almost 200,000 miles on it) but its my first car and I have little problems with it. The main problems consist of the two passenger doors, the back which does not open at all nor does the window work, and the front that only opens from the inside. But im not too worried about those... Seeing how I don't sit there. Overall its a great first car. I even raced a 1999 eclipse and blew it away.

still runs, but i"m mechanical
By tim9999 on 10/19/09 09:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought used for cheap, needed clutch, bad A/C. The clutch was 600.00 from the clutch guy I know. Heater core went out at 120k this is typical i guess. Here's what I did: disconnected heater core, ran heater hoses to A/C heat exchanger, (A/C bad anyway...) Now heats ok. Needed water pump at 130k. Runs strong, handles great for big car. Nice leather interior. Huge inside area. Easy to work on compact vr6. Have done all work myself except clutch.

1st luxury car
By soccerfreak11 on 03/07/09 09:35 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 74,000 miles and have had a few problems. 1) EGR valve. No idea what so ever how to fix it. 2) rear window doesn't work. It is a solid car with good MPG, but could be better. Tons of interior room and trunk space. Love the sunroof. The radio goes into SAFE mode every time the battery is disconnected though. Now it is permanently locked and only the dealer can open it. The exterior design is a definite draw back. Over all, it is a great family car.

German for "Piece of Junk"
By theronald on 10/23/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car was really nice for about the first 3 years that we owned it. Ever since that point, it has had many nagging, expensive, and repetitive failures. (Among those too numerous to mention - Door Handles, Controller, O2 Sensors, Belt-tensioner) The Yellow light has been on more than it has been "off". Were it not for the fact that I was unemployed on & off for most of the past 4 years, we would have "dumped" it on some other poor sap. Have talked to several other GLX owners - most had same problems. Their highly-touted "German Engineers" should all be fired, and replaced by the guys from GM. (I've never had to replace all 4 door handles on a Buick twice!)

I'll miss my VW
By Disappointed VW fan on 03/30/07 10:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I bought my VW used and I was okay with having to replace the clutch almost immediately as well as having a rod in the trunk snap which made the trunk impossible to use until I found a mechanic willing to weld the rod back together. But after 9 months of VW ownership, I'm calling it quits. I love VWs and will look for them in the future, but definitely with more skeptical eyes. Besides the normal repairs and somewhat non-normal repairs, I had an air flow sensor malfunction, and needed to replace the throttle valve because my Passat was driving itself. 3 weeks after those repairs, I either get to replace the heater core, fix a radiator problem, and replace the oxygen sensor or call it quits.

Anybody Want to Buy My Passat Wagon?
By poskarp on 02/02/07 18:19 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Although purchased used, this car was great until it reached its fifth birthday. Over the last five years this car has nickeled and dimed (or more accurately $500 and $1,000) us to death, especially with the pesky check engine light that has been diagnosed at least three times. I've put more into this wagon over the last five years than I did for my last two Toyotas which had double the mileage. So much for my European love affair, I'm going back to the orient where my cars have been reliable to over 150,000 miles

Happy Long Time Owner
By John on 01/28/07 09:36 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my manual 1997 Passat new and always took good care of it and did the regular scheduled maintenance. It has over 100,000 miles and it has been great. It is now getting a little long in the tooth and I'm evaluating new cars for purchase. This car has been very good for me and very economical to keep for the past ten years.

Hope It Lasts Forever!
By VW4Life on 08/26/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned nothing but VW's. They all have been reliable and great to drive. In 2000 we needed a bigger car as we were expecting our first child. We drove the new Jetta, and but it seemed small and sort of cheap. Then we saw the beautiful Indigo Passat GLX. It is a big, roomy sedan which drives and handles like a dream. The VR6 engine is the best thing VW has ever designed. The check engine or ABS lights have NEVER been on in this car. I bought it with 38,000 miles on it, now it has 96,000 miles and drives like the day I took it home. The first owner probably neglected a few things. It needed brakes, rotors, battery, etc. that first year, but the dealer covered everything. Find a good mechanic, do your maintenance, and this car will last!

First car.
By Phill on 02/28/06 18:44 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am a new driver and this is the first car that I have bought. I didn't really pick this car, it was more seredipity that i found it. It was everything I was looking for, relativly cheap (under $4,000) spacious, and not an American car. At first it was great, then a couple of problems occured. Nothing too serious, a dead battery because of a broken relay, an alternator that stopped working. These are significant problems yes, but easly fixed and they are not harmful to the car or people inside of the car. Overall the car is very exciting, fast, and handles beautifully. Even with its problems it has been worth it. I couldnt have asked for anything more.

1 2 3 4 5 next »