1996 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - If Mazda made a 626

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLX V6 Wagon (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

If Mazda made a 626 wagon . . .
By oldsport on

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I would be driving that. Wolfsburg could learn a thing or two from Japan about quality. Right off the bat, I had to replace a rear wheel bearing, and then I was burning O2 sensors every 6k miles. Then I found a good independent mechanic. The cruise control gaive up the ghost at 60k, and the radio is about to fall out of the dashboard. I bought this car used from a VW dealer, and discovered at 70k miles that the rear axle was bent. We've got the mechanicals sorted out, though, I'm getting about 26-27 mpg, and Autozone has oil filters for $15.

Favorite Features

The VR6 is powerful and reliable with Plus octane. The interior is wonderfully spacious. With good tires (Dunlop Graspics), it handles securely on snow and ice. I can get around most SUVs by dropping into 3rd and nailing it.

Suggested Improvements

Aside from the quality issues, here are my criticsms of the design: the factory tires were too wide and noisy, and the defroster blows hot air in my face instead of on the windshield.