Used 1996 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Dependable work-horse
By ca_cowgirl

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '96 TDI used with 125k miles, and it has turned out to be one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned.
It now has 273k miles on the original engine.
I'm quite impressed for a diesel, it's much quieter than Mercedes, does not smoke, burn oil, and it consistently gets 42-48MPG.
I drove from Sacramento to Kennewick Washington on ONE TANK of diesel.
Over the years, the car has began to "age", and as such, the door handles are faulty and cease up, the cup holders broke off, lid to glove box broke, and AC switch broke one really hot summer day.
Other than that, this is a very comfortable driving, easy handling automobile that I will drive until the doors fall off.

Cruise control, very cool AC, easy handling, comfortable back seats, even for adults.

Door handles, door handles, door handles. Interior design and layout of cupholders and glove box.

GLX Passat Wagon
By Meghan M.

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I am quite familiar with a lot of the issues I have been reading. One thing I have noticed with this car is that proper maintenance and proper fluids such as G12 coolant, premium gasoline, and synthetic oil are necessary for longevity. I have rebuilt the engine and replaced all of the gaskets, timing chain and tensioner, water pump, and cv shaft. I am approaching about 160k miles and I am still in love! Though, my boyfriend and I are VW enthusiasts and do many of the repairs ourselves and it is definitely important to find a VW mechanic and NOT a dealership. I will say, if someone is looking into this car, be prepared for a good amount of maintenance.

5 speed transmission, heated seats, spacious, and the galaxie blue paint.. Love the color!

Windows-I have TONS of issues with the front left window regulator.. Duct tape definitely should be required with the ownership with any VW. Door handles kind of stink, they freeze in the winter but nothing some WD40 co, and the AC is leaking. That is about all that I have got to complain about!

680,000 and still running
By VW on the BRAIN

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I have been a VW fan since 65". This was my third VW, and my first wagon. I loved it, and still do, its had a few problems, door handles, wheel bearings, gears, speedometer, window motors, rust, spindles, locks, and Volkswagen scalloping back wheel wear. These w's, you either love em or hate them. This vehicle needs better headlamps, the plastic interior was shoddy, half of it busted. The cup holder snapped off, the glove box, broke, little thing like that can piss you off. The seat rails screwed up. The heated seats, were replaced but, the seats were never the same. The odometer went at 181 k, and it was 1200 bucks to fix. This car is fun to drive but you must have patience.

Heated seats, cd player, the air conditioning, was repaired three time, cost me 2000, and it still doesn't work, the clutch is great, the exhaust was expensive to fix. Great in snow, I work in the usa, and its very cold there. We spend our summers in Canada, its warmer there.

Better locks,plastic's,wheel bearings, headlamps,paint,and door handles

No more VWs
By tyler

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

As almost all reviews have implied this car is too expensive to service and problems are constant. VW should have recalled the entire car. Yes, great V6 engine but definitely a real headache and expensive to repair.

V6 engine

This car should never have been put on the market by VW.

Great VW
By Germancarfan

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I received this car in my grandmother's will, and as she meticulously maintained it and kept it in excellent shape. I see no major problems in the car. It drives nicely, accelerates quickly, and handles like a car half its size. My only gripe is the door handle, it seems to act up every once and a while, leaving me fiddling with it for a bit to get it to work. As this is my second car, my first car was an Isuzu Rodeo, I am very pleased with it.

The engine, handling, and good gas mileage (it get s around 20 mpg overall, but after getting 12- 13 mpg in my Rodeo it's a big step forward).

The door handles, cup holders, and headlight covers (they tend to fog up over time).